Does Selle Italia Make any comfortable saddles?

Old April 6th 04, 05:04 PM
John Everett

Default Does Selle Italia Make any comfortable saddles?

On 5 Apr 2004 12:45:55 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Hi all, In my quest for a better saddle, I'd like to garner opinions
of what saddles should I consider looking into.

Since I have Selle Italia Flite Ti saddles on five of my six bikes I'd
guess you'd have to conclude I find them comforable. Your ass may
vary.

My PX10E has a Brooks Pro, but it's a restoration so I wanted to be
historically accurate.

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old April 7th 04, 07:21 PM
Jay Beattie

"Chris" wrote in message

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message

| Live near Boston? Want to learn to play jazz? |
| See my jazz site: http://www.artsforall.com |

You can't learn to play jazz, Mr. Sheldon. You can only learn

to release it
from inside of you.

Just keep telling yourself that while trying to make the changes
on Giant Steps.

As for saddles, YMMV. My wife loved her Brooks, and I hated
mine. My favorite saddle is the old Selle Italia Turbo, although
I have not tried any of the newer Selle Italia saddles. The old
Cinelli and Ideal 2002 were nice, too. -- Jay Beattie.

Old April 9th 04, 04:44 PM
onefred

Does Selle Italia Make any comfortable saddles?

Yes, I use their Flight (or is it Flite) and their SLR. The SLR was
excruciatingly painful until I got it adjusted just right. Now it's fine.
The flite is more forgiving to poor adjustment.

Just my opinion here, your mileage may vary.

Dave

Old April 12th 04, 07:31 AM
Adam Rush

Hi all, In my quest for a better saddle, I'd like to garner opinions
of what saddles should I consider looking into. I presently have
mounted on my bike a Selle Tri-Matic, and this thing is just murder!
(Came with the bike, and yes, I've read the reviews about not trying
to raise a family after using this saddle)

For all of you in Sweden, Biltema has a cheap and very comfortable
Velo sadel:

http://tinyurl.com/2ar6s

Apparently, I'm not the only one who likes it--I've gotten two of
these stolen this year. But, at ~20US, it's not that much of a loss.
Old April 12th 04, 05:48 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
(Adam Rush) wrote:

Hi all, In my quest for a better saddle, I'd like to garner opinions
of what saddles should I consider looking into. I presently have
mounted on my bike a Selle Tri-Matic, and this thing is just murder!
(Came with the bike, and yes, I've read the reviews about not trying
to raise a family after using this saddle)

For all of you in Sweden, Biltema has a cheap and very comfortable
Velo sadel:

http://tinyurl.com/2ar6s

Apparently, I'm not the only one who likes it--I've gotten two of
these stolen this year. But, at ~20US, it's not that much of a loss.

I am fixated on the Selle Italia Nitrox, a classic plastic narrow racer
saddle that just happens to fit me perfectly. I own five copies, of
which one is black and the other four are burnt orange. Yesterday at a
race, a fellow rider recognized me from some other races because of that
orange saddle. The burnt orange helps make the saddle undesireable and
cheap; My purchase prices ranged from either C$7 or C$15 down to a low
of C$2, or less than a tall mocha frapp. Components that cost less than
non-alcoholic beverages rock.

Most bike makers make a wide range of saddles because saddle fit is very
personal. Some people swear by Brooks, some require cutouts, and some of
us ride four hours at a time on a narrow piece of of nylon topped by a
tiny pad of foam and covered by an ugly swath of vinyl.

Selle Italia claims the nylon is what makes the saddle comfy:

http://www.selleitalia.com/products/...php3?itemid=30

Also, they think "Forged" is the name of a material. Hm. Is "Vanox" the
fifth element? After the Willis/Jovovitch movie, I thought it was love.

Ooh look! Hollow manganese rails! And I'm an aggressive cyclist!

http://www.selleitalia.com/products/...php3?itemid=18

But I don't think I can recommend the, er, Selle Italia "Zero Comfort"

http://www.selleitalia.com/products/...php3?itemid=23

I am not making this up, or the "Zero Man,"
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old April 13th 04, 01:11 AM
Tom Sherman

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Most bike makers make a wide range of saddles because saddle fit is very
personal. Some people swear by Brooks, some require cutouts, and some of
us ride four hours at a time on a narrow piece of of nylon topped by a
tiny pad of foam and covered by an ugly swath of vinyl....

And some choose no saddle at all. I regularly see a commuter who rides a
MTB without a saddle.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Old April 13th 04, 04:24 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Most bike makers make a wide range of saddles because saddle fit is very
personal. Some people swear by Brooks, some require cutouts, and some of
us ride four hours at a time on a narrow piece of of nylon topped by a
tiny pad of foam and covered by an ugly swath of vinyl....

And some choose no saddle at all. I regularly see a commuter who rides a
MTB without a saddle.

Whoa! You sure this isn't a misidentified modified trials bike?

I guess that's possible, but it doesn't seem right. Maybe he has some
misbegotten calorie-burning theory going on there.

Old April 13th 04, 07:08 AM
Tom Sherman

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

And some choose no saddle at all. I regularly see a commuter who rides a
MTB without a saddle.

Whoa! You sure this isn't a misidentified modified trials bike?

I guess that's possible, but it doesn't seem right. Maybe he has some
misbegotten calorie-burning theory going on there.

If human powered trials bicycles look like MTB's without saddles it
could well be a trials bicycle. I am guessing the rider is a commuter
since he wear a backpack, dresses in a manner that would not meet the
Fabrizio Mazzoleni style standard, and is seen in the same areas at
similar times.

--
Tom Sherman – Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Old April 13th 04, 11:26 AM
Elmo Spam King

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:48:20 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote: \ In article
,
(Adam Rush) wrote:

Hi all, In my quest for a better saddle, I'd like to garner opinions
of what saddles should I consider looking into.

Well, I do believe Selle owns Brooks now, so they DO make a comfortable
saddle!

Some people swear by Brooks, some require cutouts, and some of us ride
four hours at a time on a narrow piece of of nylon topped by a tiny pad
of foam and covered by an ugly swath of vinyl.

In the "Real World"TM, I've found there are genuinely three basic saddle
types that wedgie (or "upright" or "safety bike" or whatever) riders
eventually find is exactly what they really need:

For folks who have sensitive parts and need good clearance of their soft
bits while still getting good support under their sit-bones: The old
"Pops" or what is now known as the BiSaddle.
Their marketing stinks, but I know lots of serious riders that swear by
them.

For folks who have the same issues as the folks who use the saddles above,
but also like to ride with no hands:
A good cut-out model. Unfortunately, these pretty much have to be padded
to take away from the sharp edges of the cut-out hole. I've had great
luck fitting friends and folks with the Serfas Rx Men's or Women's.

For folks without medical conditions requiring the above special needs
(i.e., everyone else):
Brooks unsprung -- any model.

Honestly, that's all there is to saddles. I really don't think any other
models are necessary (given the understanding that a bicycle is a means of
transportation and racing is for children and other people with an
underdeveloped sense of self-worth).

But I don't think I can recommend the, er, Selle Italia "Zero Comfort"
http://www.selleitalia.com/products/...php3?itemid=23
I am not making this up, or the "Zero Man,"

That is just about the funniest thing ever. The Zero Comfort. Oh, jeez.
And with all that padding, it's no wonder you get no comfort -- all your
soft bits are squished up with the padding!

EK