OT Fuel protests

Old May 16th 04, 12:07 PM
MartinM

Default OT Fuel protests

Once more the "Robin Hood" fuel protesters are threatening to blockade
petrol stations etc etc in protest at the Goverment's excise duty;
err, I thought the price of crude was the cause of the 81p (No Daily
Mail that is not 3.64 a gallon!)per litre, not a sudden leap in duty.
So G Brown has to continually revise the country's budget to suit the
lorry drivers does he?
Hopefully this time it won't be left up to individual petrol stations
to decide what an essential user is. Of course this will have terrible
knock on effect on the price of tyres / chain lube so we may all have
to stop riding bikes ;-)
Old May 16th 04, 12:24 PM
Simon Mason

"MartinM" wrote in message
om...
Once more the "Robin Hood" fuel protesters are threatening to blockade
petrol stations etc etc in protest at the Goverment's excise duty;
err, I thought the price of crude was the cause of the 81p (No Daily
Mail that is not 3.64 a gallon!)per litre, not a sudden leap in duty.
So G Brown has to continually revise the country's budget to suit the
lorry drivers does he?
Hopefully this time it won't be left up to individual petrol stations
to decide what an essential user is. Of course this will have terrible
knock on effect on the price of tyres / chain lube so we may all have
to stop riding bikes ;-)

I won't be protesting - the more I cycle, the more I save and since I am
employed by a major oil company, my shares go up as well :-)

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old May 16th 04, 12:38 PM
Martin Harlow

In article , MartinM
writes
Once more the "Robin Hood" fuel protesters are threatening to blockade
petrol stations etc etc in protest at the Goverment's excise duty;
err, I thought the price of crude was the cause of the 81p (No Daily
Mail that is not 3.64 a gallon!)per litre, not a sudden leap in duty.
So G Brown has to continually revise the country's budget to suit the
lorry drivers does he?
Hopefully this time it won't be left up to individual petrol stations
to decide what an essential user is. Of course this will have terrible
knock on effect on the price of tyres / chain lube so we may all have
to stop riding bikes ;-)

The tail has been wagging the dog for a while on this one - the media
desperately doom-mongering by asking 'Will increased fuel prices lead to
protests? If we keep banging on about it long enough, maybe it will.'
Looks like they've got there in the end.

ttfn

Martin

--
'I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.'
Steven Wright

Martin Harlow
Old May 16th 04, 12:40 PM
Richard Bullock

I thought the price of crude was the cause of the 81p (No Daily
Mail that is not 3.64 a gallon!)per litre, not a sudden leap in duty.

Umm, there's 4.54609 litres to a gallon - so 81p per litre = £3.68 per
gallon.

Old May 16th 04, 02:43 PM
Tony Raven

MartinM wrote:

So G Brown has to continually revise the country's budget to suit the

lorry drivers does he?

To be fair he'll be raking it in in North Sea Oil revenues and at the end of
the day the lorry drivers will pass on the fuel costs so that prices of food
etc will rise and hit those who can least afford it. Worked out a few days
ago with a friend over from the US that the absolute rise in fuel prices is
about the same both sides of the Atlantic but the proportionate rise in the US
is massively greater because, with low tax, they start off from a much lower
base price.

Tony

Old May 16th 04, 04:35 PM
Simon Mason

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
MartinM wrote:

So G Brown has to continually revise the country's budget to suit the

lorry drivers does he?

To be fair he'll be raking it in in North Sea Oil revenues and at the end

of
the day the lorry drivers will pass on the fuel costs so that prices of

food
etc will rise and hit those who can least afford it.

Don't forget the huge amount of extra cash he gets in VAT on fuel every
time the pump price goes up.

--

Simon M.

Old May 16th 04, 04:35 PM
Mark Thompson

To be fair he'll be raking it in in North Sea Oil revenues and at the
end of the day the lorry drivers will pass on the fuel costs so that
prices of food etc will rise and hit those who can least afford it.
Worked out a few days ago with a friend over from the US that the
absolute rise in fuel prices is about the same both sides of the
Atlantic but the proportionate rise in the US is massively greater
because, with low tax, they start off from a much lower base price.

Wahey, so the tax on petrol is doing all us poor people a favour - it makes
the price less volatile and helps us budget :-)
Old May 16th 04, 05:57 PM
Zog The Undeniable

MartinM wrote:

Once more the "Robin Hood" fuel protesters are threatening to blockade
petrol stations etc etc in protest at the Goverment's excise duty;
err, I thought the price of crude was the cause of the 81p (No Daily
Mail that is not 3.64 a gallon!)per litre, not a sudden leap in duty.
So G Brown has to continually revise the country's budget to suit the
lorry drivers does he?
Hopefully this time it won't be left up to individual petrol stations
to decide what an essential user is. Of course this will have terrible
knock on effect on the price of tyres / chain lube so we may all have
to stop riding bikes ;-)

Robin Hood my arse! They're hauliers and farmers running commercial
businesses. If the Govt slashed duty on diesel for trucks and doubled
it on petrol, they'd be happy.