Training for Power

Old January 12th 20, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Training for Power

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:27:06 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 7, 2020 at 3:03:14 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 4:23:54 PM UTC-8, Tom Kunich wrote:
As I probably misplaced in Andre's string, I have decided to train in the winter for power. I can't remember doing this before but I must have done so.

I had a couple of toutes that are between 20 and 30 miles and I do a fast first half. Stop for coffee and donut and then a fast return. 24 miles ends up being about 2 hours with the stop.

When I started a couple of weeks ago I was averaging between 11 and 11.5 mph. Yesterday I was a git sore from Tuesday so I tried to take it a little easier. Tuesday's average was 14 mph and Thursday's was 14,75. There are a couple of rises that I was slowing down on and I'm not slowing down nearly as much now.

So let's see how this winter progresses and then when the weather improves I'll do some endurance rides since early April is a century. Last August my younger brother dropped me like the layer of dust on his bike. But he ran out of steam 10 miles from the end. But that ain't the way he tells it.

So, lets see how it goes.

It was colder than a well diggers butt this morning. I started worrying about my usual ride since I have done it in conditions like this and hit black ice which was totally invisible. I didn't fall but I would just as soon not now that everything is sore all the time.

So I did my power ride and AGAIN I kicked the time down. Average speed this time was 15.3 mph. I can't believe that I'm learning the spots to pour it on since I've been over this route 1,000 times.

Going from an average of 11.5 to 15.3 in less than a month seems to me to be to be unlikely as hell but I notice on rises and the like where I would slow to near 8 mph before than I am riding over at 13 or 14 mph.

I will continue this sort of thing most of the winter since it's a lot better than riding rollers. Whether this is actually causing improvement or not I'll only be able to tell after I can try it on longer rides or hard climbing rides.

This time there were several spots that slowed me down that usually wouldn't - there is a driveway that is normally the exit for a Oakland International Airport long term parking lot. I have to be careful there since cars can come flying out of it and it is a blind approach. This time there was a bus blocking the entire bike trail. As I slowed to about 12 he pulled out.. I proceeded forward and he had his right turn signal on for the next turn so I came almost to a stop and he waited. Finally I kicked it and went across the intersection and it turned out to probably not have slowed me anyway since the next light a block away turned green as I approached.

I would be a terrible track racer since I cannot for the life of me hold a steady speed.

My leg muscles hurt all night I guess and I had nightmares about riding a Spring Classic in Europe. I suppose the muscles are growing.

It was supposed to rain this entire week so I went out on Friday. I did not try to make any speed since the XXX battery in my wireless speedo had gone dead. These things are really power hogs no matter how you cut it. The Garmins are a lot worse but they ae rechargeable. I don't like the idea of plugging everything in after a ride.

In any case my time was pretty slow which I think was just as well judging from the way my legs have been hurting. I'll do a ride today and the climbing ride on Tuesday and then will hit the rain on Thursday and I have no intentions of riding in the rain any more this year. When I wrung about a pint of water our of my gloves alone last time I made a vow to avoid it whenever possible.

Whether I turn up the wick today or not remains to be seen when I get out there. Instead of the Basso which really needs work on the cables I will take the LeMond which has a low profile. While I don't think I got close to my limit of speed on the Basso yet because I can't pedal continuously yet at that level, there's no sense in riding a bike into the ground when it needs inner cable replacements. I'd hate to have the brakes go south when the cross traffic is heavy.
Old January 16th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

[...]

Since it rained Tuesday morning and I only started a ride only to turn around almost immediately because it was like riding on snot I was looking forward to a Thursday ride. Well since it was going to rain hard tomorrow I took another training ride today.

Instead of the Basso I rode my LeMond Zurich. The rear tubeless has been having some problems because of a puncture I received on the rain ride a month ago or whenever. But I pumped it up and off I went.

Well, the ride was fast. It was quite cold and I was wearing as few layers as I thought I could get away with.

21.8 miles (35 km) came in at 15.84 mph (25 kph). I still haven't reached the point at which I can hold a steady power output but each ride shows an improvement over the last one.

For the initial 7 miles (11 km) I held a stead 20 mph (32 kph).

I wonder how much I can improve?
Old January 21st 20, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

[...]

Yesterday I took another run. The lights were all against me and it was cold and the air was very dense. My average speed on the Basso was back down to 15.16 mph. That was a drop of 0.14 mph average since the last ride on the Basso. My top time was on the Lemond which is 4 cm smaller so that I am much flatter on the bike making it much more aero.
Old January 22nd 20, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 8:10:06 PM UTC, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

On the public roads much more than 0.14mph average would be well within the margin of error, due to happenstance or Murphy's Law, like the lights being against you.

AJ
Old January 22nd 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 3:03:08 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

That is an interesting thought. I will think about that.