how to make a Shimano 105 Left shifter do double or triple?

Old April 4th 04, 04:38 PM
peter

Default how to make a Shimano 105 Left shifter do double or triple?

I am trying to replace a single Left shimano 105 shifter that is
jammed with a used piece.
My bike has as triple chain ring and I see that many Left 105 shifters
are listed as "good to double or triple".
Can the same shifter work with both setupos? Is there an adjustment
one makes to the shifter to make it triple click rather than double
click?

how does one determine if a shifter is double or triple.

many thanks

Peter
Old April 5th 04, 01:58 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

pstock- Can the same shifter work with both setupos? Is there an adjustment
one makes to the shifter to make it triple click rather than double
click? BRBR

For both. Just adjust for small to middle to big or small to big. You just
don't use the last 'click' for a double crank...limited by the outside travel
limit screw. If this sounds mysterious, see a LBS...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old April 6th 04, 03:37 AM
Steven Kittle

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
pstock- Can the same shifter work with both setupos? Is there an adjustment
one makes to the shifter to make it triple click rather than double
click? BRBR

For both. Just adjust for small to middle to big or small to big. You just
don't use the last 'click' for a double crank...limited by the outside travel
limit screw. If this sounds mysterious, see a LBS...

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

This is true for 9sp STI's, but if he has 8sp, he will need a triple
specific shifter. I "upgraded" my wife's 8sp 105SC equipped bike to
triple and the new STI unit is different than the old double.

Old April 6th 04, 02:33 PM
J. Price

This is true for 9sp STI's, but if he has 8sp, he will need a triple
specific shifter. I "upgraded" my wife's 8sp 105SC equipped bike to
triple and the new STI unit is different than the old double.

.......That's true of 8 speed shimano STI fronts which were made as
either double or triple (105, RX-100, and RSX). However,the tiple WILL
shift a double.There is no internal 'adjustment' involved. One has to
pay attention to what they are buying. 7 speed RSX would shift either
double or triple.