Lending out your bent

Old March 17th 07, 08:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

Default Lending out your bent

I'm betting there is not a single person in this group who would lend out
their bent to anybody but their most trusted friends. Twice I've stopped to
talk with people and we became friendly. They eventually ran out of beer
and asked me if they could borrow my trike to go to the store to get more.
I said no. I would let them test ride it for a short distance, but not all
the way to the store.

The first guy complained, but he didn't get nasty about it and we remained
friendly. The second guy was quite a bit different. "It's only a block
away." "No, it is over a bridge and about 3 blocks away - out of site and I
don't let this thing out of my site." "Come on man, I won't steal it. My
girlfriend will be staying here." The trike is better looking than his
girlfriend - otherwise I would have asked if I could borrow her and we might
have had a deal... "That's a $2500 trike - I can't just lend it out." "I
don't care if it cost 25 million, I just want to get some beer." I'm
thinking, this guy is drunk - he will either fall off the bridge, get in
some other kind of accident, or it will be stolen from him - I'm not gonna
get out of this and keep a friend, but I guess I don't need this loser as a
friend. I said my final "no" and he got more ****ed and started walking to
the store. I looked at his girlfriend and said, "What's up with him?" She
looked at me, shrugged, and turned her back on me. Not sure if she was
embarrassed or also ****ed that I wouldn't let him use the bike. So, I just
got back on and rode away without saying another word.

It all happened so fast. One minute we are talking, laughing, and having a
good time, next minute the whole mood is destroyed.

Is their a reasonable response that would let these people understand that I
just cannot lend this kind of vehicle? One thing I've thought of is, "All
the police in this area know this thing belongs to me. You run the risk of
being stopped and questioned." Or, "All the police in this area know this
thing belongs to me. If I lend it out, and they see other people riding it,
they will not be responsive if it is ever stolen." But that doesn't sound
functional.

Any suggestions?

Old March 17th 07, 08:36 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Zebee Johnstone

In alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent on Sat, 17 Mar 2007 16:09:55 -0400
bcps wrote:

It all happened so fast. One minute we are talking, laughing, and having a
good time, next minute the whole mood is destroyed.

So he's a selfish idiot. Had you lent it to him and anything bad had
happened, you reckon he'd have taken responsibility?

Is their a reasonable response that would let these people understand that I
just cannot lend this kind of vehicle? One thing I've thought of is, "All

You don't need one. Anyone who assumes their desire for use of
something they don't own has to be filled is not going to respond to
logic. They aren't thinking, they aren't rational. If "sorry, no"
isn't enough, no variation of same would be. They have been badly
brought up and you can't fix that.

Your trike is your trike. Anyone else gets to ride it as a favour
you have granted them, and they ride it on your terms or not at all.
They ride where you say, for how long you give them, they say thank you
and they smile. If they haven't learned that by the time they are old
enough to drink, they won't ever. Pity that man's parents for having
a kid who embarasses them so much every day....

Zebee
Old March 17th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_2_]

Just say NO! If they don't understand that, tell 'em to **** off!

It doesn't sound like you even knew the stupid ****.

Old March 17th 07, 10:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message

Pity that man's parents for having
a kid who embarasses them so much every day....

Zebee

Ha ha :-) Good stuff - but parents tend to embarrass their children more.

Old March 17th 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

"gotbent" wrote in message
.. .

"bcps" wrote in message
[...]

Only a three hour conversation - not long enough No, I didn't know the
stupid ****, but he was trying to make a living on the beach by
weaving/selling palm frond hats, mats, and bowls. I thought he would be a
good contact for local information. I guess I was wrong. Now I'm
considering making a complaint to the police and having him removed. I
haven't returned to the beach since. I'll head over there later. He's
probably gone already because the police were watching him anyway. That
would be cool - then *I* could start sitting on the beach and weave hats for
$20 a piece.... :-)

Old March 18th 07, 12:20 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

bcps wrote:
I'm betting there is not a single person in this group who would lend out
their bent to anybody but their most trusted friends. Twice I've stopped to
talk with people and we became friendly. They eventually ran out of beer
and asked me if they could borrow my trike to go to the store to get more.
I said no. I would let them test ride it for a short distance, but not all
the way to the store.
Any suggestions?

Been there.... ! I got 2 inexpensive bents, upgraded one to the hilt-
loan the other. This will not help in your situation, but now I never
have any lending problems.

Old March 18th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Roger Zoul

You did the right thing. Don't ever load anything to anyone who actually
needs it (family and lifelong friends being the possible exceptions, but
even then it's risky). Banks don't do that, you know. There's a reason for
that.

Oh, and don't bother trying to justify your reasons. Just say no. Talking
about it only makes it worse.

bcps wrote:
:: I'm betting there is not a single person in this group who would
:: lend out their bent to anybody but their most trusted friends.
:: Twice I've stopped to talk with people and we became friendly. They
:: eventually ran out of beer and asked me if they could borrow my
:: trike to go to the store to get more. I said no. I would let them
:: test ride it for a short distance, but not all the way to the store.
::

Old March 18th 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Ohio Jerry

"bcps" wrote in message

Is their a reasonable response that would let these people understand that
I just cannot lend this kind of vehicle? One thing I've thought of is,
"All the police in this area know this thing belongs to me. You run the
risk of being stopped and questioned." Or, "All the police in this area
know this thing belongs to me. If I lend it out, and they see other
people riding it, they will not be responsive if it is ever stolen." But
that doesn't sound functional.

Any suggestions?

I agree with those who say "No" should be good enough. No explanation is
necessary. My rule for that is kinda like the one for gambling -- Never lend
anything to anyone (especially a drunk) if you can't afford to lose it
forever.
And bents are expensive.

Can you get cited for allowing a drunk use your trike? ( TUI ? )

Also, I don't know how the liability thing applies. If he hurts someone or
gets in an accident on your bent, are you liable for damages? Even if you're
not, people seem to be willing to sue anyone for anything these days.

Jerry

Old March 18th 07, 05:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
bcps

"Ohio Jerry" wrote in message
.. .

"bcps" wrote in message

[...]

I've thought of that too. Probably wouldn't matter if the lawsuit was won
or not, it would still be hell for me to fight it.