Hip Replacement & Bents?

Old August 8th 03, 05:54 AM
Ben

Default Hip Replacement & Bents?

I have a good friend who is having hip replacement surgery in November.
He's been looking at bents and is wondering how people with hip or knee
replacement are doing on recumbents.

Any experience? I'll forward your comments to him.

Thanks, Ben

Burley Canto

Old August 8th 03, 08:39 AM
Ian

Ben must be edykated coz e writed:

I have a good friend who is having hip replacement surgery in November.
He's been looking at bents and is wondering how people with hip or knee
replacement are doing on recumbents.

Any experience? I'll forward your comments to him.

Thanks, Ben

Burley Canto

My left knee is U/S, slides apart and is generally no good, riding bents is
a great pleasure for me, I get no joint impact and can complete 150mile
rides with no nasty after effects, conversely 15miles on a wedgie sees me
unable to walk the next day.

Ian

Old August 8th 03, 06:47 PM
Andrew Heckman

Ben,

I sustained major damage to my left hip last year when a car ran onto the
shoulder where I was riding and hit me from behind. I was riding a recumbent
bike at the time, and had been riding recumbents for a couple of years.
After rehab, I'm able to walk with a cane, but I can't lift my left knee
very high. For this reason, an upright "cruiser" bike works better for me
now. The riding position is far more "open" than on any recumbent (save for
very laid back recumbents, which involve other problems such as difficulty
mounting and dismounting, balance at low speeds and putting one's feet on
the ground comfortably at stops).

The upshot here is that your friend probably really won't know what will
work best until after the surgery and rehab. Then he should test ride some
bikes and see which configuration enables him to be most comfortable. Of
course, good therapy is looking at all the cool recumbent bikes on-line and
doing some "wish list" research . But my advice is to not settle on
anything before he knows what works best for him in the real world. He might
be surprised.

Tell your friend I wish him good luck and good riding!

Andrew

Old August 8th 03, 07:57 PM
Fraggle

Ben wrote in news:3f3331a0$1_2
@news.chariot.net.au:

I have a good friend who is having hip replacement surgery in November.
He's been looking at bents and is wondering how people with hip or knee
replacement are doing on recumbents.

Any experience? I'll forward your comments to him.

Thanks, Ben

The only thing I would say is that one of the nice thing about 'bents is
if your legs are strong you can push with more than your bodyweight on
your pedals. I guess this would be a bad thing if your hip is still
"bedding in" so I would get a docs advice before heading out!

There are recumbent style cycle machines in lots of gyms, so he can
pretend to be using one of those if doc is easily confused

Fragg

*disclaimer* budding benter, don't own one
Old August 8th 03, 08:19 PM
Paul Bruneau

Ben wrote in message ...
I have a good friend who is having hip replacement surgery in November.
He's been looking at bents and is wondering how people with hip or knee
replacement are doing on recumbents.

Any experience? I'll forward your comments to him.

Thanks, Ben

Doc Pearson races his recumbent with a newly replaced hip. Word was he
put off replacing it last year until the racing season was over...this
year he raced with the new hip. Here is a pictu
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisi...n/IMG_4391.jpg

The caption is: Doc Pearson seems to be doing quite well after his hip
replacement last fall.
Old August 9th 03, 12:05 AM
dalev

Ben wrote in message ...
I have a good friend who is having hip replacement surgery in November.
He's been looking at bents and is wondering how people with hip or knee
replacement are doing on recumbents.

Any experience? I'll forward your comments to him.

Thanks, Ben

Burley Canto

Sounds like a great excuse to look into the tadpole option. There are
dozens of them and lots of upright vs. laid back choices. Pricey,
yes-- but compared with the price of medical services, or the human
cost of sitting home bored and grumpy-- a very good value. If only
the insurance would cover it dale
Old August 9th 03, 08:23 PM
Bill & Gerri

Ben,

Several things for your friend to do follow.

Anyway,

I had my right hip replaced three years ago. Until about 1 year before the
surgery I was still running 3-4 miles several time a week, riding an upright
2-3 times a week and swimming 3-5 times a week. 6 months Post surgery I did
a MS 150 ride from Houston to Austin Texas. 100 miles the first day and 75
the second on an upright. Shortly after than I went to a tour easy after
seeing one on the ride. Now I routinely do 100-125 miles per week and am
very able to do 100 miles rides with no problem. I also do some leg presses
to gain strength and my doctor said that was ok.

1. do their best to complete the exercises recommended by the doctor
pre-surgery.
2. The better shape they are in before will determine how quick the recover
is post-surgery.
3. The newest techique now calls for one, or two, small incisions with only
1-2 days in the hospital. Recover is also much quicker.
4. Find someone who does a lot of these.

Tell your friend good luck and keep riding!!

Bill