"I'm not interested in what some mullet-headed lawyer has to say"

Old April 30th 05, 04:37 AM
cfsmtb

Default "I'm not interested in what some mullet-headed lawyer has to say"

Mr Algie, I'll say it again. Go fugg yourself!

Read Mike Ranns comments, possibly the only laugh in this whol
horrible horrible saga.

Off-court battle: McGee lawyer tackles Premier
http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...5E2682,00.html
THE State Government should step back from the Eugene McGee case an
stop trying to "undermine" the judicial process, McGee's lawyer sai
yesterday.

"It really does little to advance the cause of justice when those i
high office endeavour to erode the very fabric of our criminal justic
system," Grant Algie said.

"It might be better if those who enjoy high political offic
concentrated their attention to hospital beds, care for the aged (and
reducing electricity bills, rather than endeavour to undermine ou
system of criminal justice."

Mr Algie's attack came just hours before the Government announced i
would commission an independent judicial inquiry into the handling o
the case.

Premier Mike Rann, announcing the inquiry, said: "The question
surrounding this case cannot go unanswered or unchallenged."

McGee walked from the District Court on Thursday with a $3100 fine an
a 12-month driver's licence suspension, having admitted he did not sto
to help cyclist Ian Humphrey, who died after being hit by the prominen
lawyer's four-wheel drive.

Mr Algie said the way the McGee trial was conducted was "impeccabl
fair to both parties". He said "serious questions should be asked as t
the reasons for and motivations behind any such inquiry".

"Perhaps a time has come when we should let the juries do the judging
where we should let the judges do the sentencing, because it is th
juries and the judges who actually take the time to listen to th
evidence," he said.

"Unfortunately, it is the juries and the judges who are not seekin
re-election to some political seat."

Earlier in the day, Mr Algie said on ABC radio: "Is it not of concer
that we have a Premier of this state mocking the findings of the chie
judge . . . (and) calling my client a coward, nothing but contempt fo
him."

Premier Mike Rann dismissed Mr Algie's criticisms, saying: "I do no
care less what Mr Algie says. My job is to speak out on issues o
concern to the people of SA. I'm not interested in what som
mullet-headed lawyer has to say." Mr Rann said the Government wa
seeking an eminent judge or retired judge from another state to hea
the inquiry.

Criminal defence lawyer Simon Slade, of Lipson Chambers in Por
Adelaide, criticised Mr Rann's intervention in the case.

"For a Premier to behave in this way amounts to an attack on the jury'
verdict," Mr Slade said.

"This seems strange coming from a Government that was keen on involvin
juries in the sentencing process, yet seems to have a knee-jerk reactio
to this jury's verdict."

The Opposition supported the independent inquiry, with Liberal leade
Rob Kerin saying "the justice system here has taken a battering i
recent times", while the Democrats said the Government should establis
an anti-corruption commission to investigate the case

--
cfsmtb