Centuries?

Old September 20th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Centuries?

Hello,

Are century rides (i.e. 100 miles) usually done in a single ride, or
is it broken up into multiple rides?

Of course I'm talking about both done in a single day.

Regards,
Cullen
Old September 21st 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Norman

On Sep 20, 6:39*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

Are century rides (i.e. 100 miles) usually done in a single ride, or
is it broken up into multiple rides?

Of course I'm talking about both done in a single day.

I almost always try to have a beer in the last 20 miles,
and maybe 4 or 9 in the first 80 miles, too.
Old September 21st 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Cully J

On Sep 20, 7:39*pm, Norman wrote:
On Sep 20, 6:39*pm, " wrote:

Hello,

Are century rides (i.e. 100 miles) usually done in a single ride, or
is it broken up into multiple rides?

Of course I'm talking about both done in a single day.

I almost always try to have a beer in the last 20 miles,
and maybe 4 or 9 in the first 80 miles, too.

Beer breaks sound good! It sounds like you break it up into 10 mile
intervals. How long do you take a break?

Cullen
Old September 21st 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Norman

On Sep 20, 9:04*pm, Cully J wrote:
On Sep 20, 7:39*pm, Norman wrote:

On Sep 20, 6:39*pm, " wrote:

Hello,

Are century rides (i.e. 100 miles) usually done in a single ride, or
is it broken up into multiple rides?

Of course I'm talking about both done in a single day.

I almost always try to have a beer in the last 20 miles,
and maybe 4 or 9 in the first 80 miles, too.

Beer breaks sound good! It sounds like you break it up into 10 mile
intervals. How long do you take a break?

Just until I can't feel my legs any more.

To actually address to original, implied question: I doubt
that very many riders outside of racers ride centuries with-
out a stop of some sort, even if just to **** and take on
more water.
Old September 22nd 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:39:15 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Are century rides (i.e. 100 miles) usually done in a single ride, or
is it broken up into multiple rides?

Of course I'm talking about both done in a single day.

Taking a wild guess at what you mean, it was customary to take rest
stops during the centuries I used to participate in. Sometimes places
to buy snacks and re-fill bottles were marked on the map. There were
no mandatory check points. (There were check points at the twenty-
four-hour ride I once officialed at, since it was a competition, but
that was nothing like a century ride.)

It didn't matter how many times you got off the bike if you got back
before it was time for the volunteers to go home.

I suspect that the guys who finished in four or five hours didn't stop
anywhere. When I finished, it was between eleven and twelve hours,
and I stopped lots and lots of places. I tried to rest five minutes
in each hour, but it was sometimes difficult to find a place where
passers-by wouldn't freak out.

Parking at the top of a three-mile hill with five gallons of cold
water is a *lot* more fun than climbing said hill.

Joy Beeson
--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/ -- sewing

I know why cyclists ride centuries Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 43 July 5th 08 03:29 PM
Double Centuries Chris Zacho The Wheelman Rides 4 December 4th 05 10:54 PM
New England Centuries Bob M General 10 March 12th 05 08:01 PM
Training for monthly centuries Harry General 47 November 26th 04 03:26 PM
Brisbane centuries aeon16 Australia 7 October 31st 03 01:25 AM