Chain, Gears & Wheel Lube

Old June 17th 04, 04:07 PM
Ian \(remove the antispam\)

Default Chain, Gears & Wheel Lube

What's better for regular lubing of chain, hubs, derailleur, etc on a hybrid
used mostly for road touring?

A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light machine
oil), or a heavier grease?

I'd like to be able to avoid buying the small overpriced bottle of "chain
lube" at the bike shop.

Thanks,

Ian

Old June 17th 04, 04:14 PM
Benjamin Lewis

wrote:

What's better for regular lubing of chain, hubs, derailleur, etc on a
hybrid used mostly for road touring?

A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light
machine oil), or a heavier grease?

I'd like to be able to avoid buying the small overpriced bottle of "chain
lube" at the bike shop.

I like chainsaw oil or motor oil for drive train. Grease for hubs.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Hey! I'm only fourteen, sickly 'n' thin
Tried all of my life just to grow me a chin
It popped out once, but my dad pushed it in. -- FZ
Old June 17th 04, 04:20 PM
psycholist

"Ian (remove the antispam)" wrote in
message ...
What's better for regular lubing of chain, hubs, derailleur, etc on a

hybrid
used mostly for road touring?

A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light

machine
oil), or a heavier grease?

I'd like to be able to avoid buying the small overpriced bottle of "chain
lube" at the bike shop.

Thanks,

Ian

Of the choices you offered, I'd guess the 3 in 1 would be best. If you
really want to go cheap, I've heard that used motor oil from a car makes an
excellent chain lube. WD 40 won't do and heavy grease will collect way too
much dirt and probably won't work into the pins very well.

Bob C.

Old June 17th 04, 04:20 PM
David Kerber

In article , "Ian \(remove the antispam
\)" says...
What's better for regular lubing of chain, hubs, derailleur, etc on a hybrid
used mostly for road touring?

A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light machine
oil), or a heavier grease?

I'd like to be able to avoid buying the small overpriced bottle of "chain
lube" at the bike shop.

I find that 10W30 motor works well, and doesn't hold dirt and grit as
much as heavier and/or stickier lubes do. The 3-in-1 oil might be ok as
long as you kept up frequent applications. I wouldn't use WD-49 though;
too many volatiles which quickly evaporate.

newsgroups if possible).
Old June 17th 04, 05:43 PM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:07:49 -0400, "Ian \(remove the antispam\)"
wrote:
A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light machine
oil), or a heavier grease?

Usenet lube wars are very good for keeping your chain operating at
peak efficiency.
--
Rick Onanian
Old June 17th 04, 05:47 PM
tk

Usenet lube wars are very good for keeping your chain operating at
peak efficiency.

Anyone using goose fat?
Old June 17th 04, 06:00 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:20:07 -0400, "psycholist"
wrote:

"Ian (remove the antispam)" wrote in
message ...
What's better for regular lubing of chain, hubs, derailleur, etc on a

hybrid
used mostly for road touring?

A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light

machine
oil), or a heavier grease?

I'd like to be able to avoid buying the small overpriced bottle of "chain
lube" at the bike shop.

Thanks,

Ian

Of the choices you offered, I'd guess the 3 in 1 would be best. If you
really want to go cheap, I've heard that used motor oil from a car makes an
excellent chain lube. WD 40 won't do and heavy grease will collect way too
much dirt and probably won't work into the pins very well.

Bob C.

My understanding is that the real 'lube' for chain lube is suppoed to be a
type of wax, and not a type of oil.

I was told by a LBS owner:
1. WD-40 is not good, and that the lube in this was 'lanolin'. It
collects dirt. (For MTB use the lube is almost entirely 'wax' and little
else, and it is the most resistant to dirt-collection.
2. The chain, to be properly lubed should be taken off the bike and
thoroughly soaked in the 'lube' and then left to dry overnight. The
transporting agent would evap., leaving the waxy substance on the chain
3. When you're lubing a chain you are not doing it for the outside, i.e.
the chain in the sprockets. You're actually lubing the inner spindle and
posts inside the chain that lets the individual chain segments move freely
as they go around the circuit.

Dunno if this is correct. FWIW. (this is the same guy who wants to charge
my brother 30 bucks to true a wheel...!!)

-Badger

Old June 17th 04, 06:11 PM
Trailgalore

"Ian (remove the antispam)" wrote in
message ...
What's better for regular lubing of chain, hubs, derailleur, etc on a

hybrid
used mostly for road touring?

A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light

machine
oil), or a heavier grease?

I'd like to be able to avoid buying the small overpriced bottle of "chain
lube" at the bike shop.

Chain saw chain lube

Old June 17th 04, 06:14 PM
S o r n i

tk wrote:
Usenet lube wars are very good for keeping your chain operating at
peak efficiency.

Anyone using goose fat?

Canadians only.

Bill "poor tip" S.

Old June 17th 04, 06:16 PM
OughtFour

Ian (remove the antispam)" ianstock"antispam wrote:
What's better for regular lubing of chain, hubs, derailleur, etc on a

hybrid
used mostly for road touring?

A very light spray oil (like WD-40), something heavier (3 in 1 light

machine
oil), or a heavier grease?

WD-40 too thin. You'd have to apply it every day, I think.

3-in-1 too sticky thick for chains.

Mind you, I defer to the actual experience (if any) of those who use these
lubes.

Triflow is a good choice, I think. If you want something lighter try a dry
lube with teflon (and remember to reapply often and after wet). Dry lubes
are thinner but don't attract as much dirt.