Cheap 28.6 x 350 Seatpost Wanted

Old April 17th 04, 09:42 AM
John Latter

Default Cheap 28.6 x 350 Seatpost Wanted

Hi,

I'm looking for a (cheap) 28.6 diameter plain straight alloy seat post
with 22.2mm head and 350mm in length - can anyone help please?

The link below shows the kinda thing I'm after - I would've bought it
straightaway 'cept I got a bit miffed over the p&p being £5 when the
seatpost itself is only £11:

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item7264.htm

I'll probably end up buying it anyway - once I've got over sulking ..

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
Old April 17th 04, 12:28 PM
Sam Salt

John Latter wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a (cheap) 28.6 diameter plain straight alloy seat post
with 22.2mm head and 350mm in length - can anyone help please?

The link below shows the kinda thing I'm after - I would've bought it
straightaway 'cept I got a bit miffed over the p&p being £5 when the
seatpost itself is only £11:

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item7264.htm

I'll probably end up buying it anyway - once I've got over sulking ..

Sorry can't help with the seatpost but yes I agree that some firms are over
the top on postage,SJSC in particular.Settle Cycles and one or two others
can do free postage and still make a profit..
Had an e-mail from Wiggle yesterday to say they are doing free postage until
I think it is the 25th.of April if that helps.

Sam Salt

---

Old April 17th 04, 06:25 PM
John Latter

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 11:28:18 +0000 (UTC), "Sam Salt"
wrote:

John Latter wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a (cheap) 28.6 diameter plain straight alloy seat post
with 22.2mm head and 350mm in length - can anyone help please?

The link below shows the kinda thing I'm after - I would've bought it
straightaway 'cept I got a bit miffed over the p&p being £5 when the
seatpost itself is only £11:

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item7264.htm

I'll probably end up buying it anyway - once I've got over sulking ..

Sorry can't help with the seatpost but yes I agree that some firms are over
the top on postage,SJSC in particular.Settle Cycles and one or two others
can do free postage and still make a profit..
Had an e-mail from Wiggle yesterday to say they are doing free postage until
I think it is the 25th.of April if that helps.

Sam Salt

Thanks Sam

I did do some searching but never found Settle Cycles so I'll have
another go at Google (managed to find Wiggle though!)

Old April 17th 04, 06:56 PM
Sam Salt

wrote:

John Latter wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a (cheap) 28.6 diameter plain straight alloy seat
post with 22.2mm head and 350mm in length - can anyone help please?

The link below shows the kinda thing I'm after - I would've bought
it straightaway 'cept I got a bit miffed over the p&p being £5
when the seatpost itself is only £11:

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item7264.htm

I'll probably end up buying it anyway - once I've got over sulking
..

Sorry can't help with the seatpost but yes I agree that some firms
are over the top on postage,SJSC in particular.Settle Cycles and one
or two others can do free postage and still make a profit..
Had an e-mail from Wiggle yesterday to say they are doing free
postage until I think it is the 25th.of April if that helps.

Sam Salt

Thanks Sam

I did do some searching but never found Settle Cycles so I'll have
another go at Google (managed to find Wiggle though!)

Settle Cycles :-
http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/

Sam Salt

---

Old April 17th 04, 07:26 PM
John Latter

wrote:

John Latter wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link Sam!

Er, this is going to sound like a rather naive question but do saddles
fit all of the different 'tops' to seatposts? (without any extra
fittings being required I mean).

It's just that I don't know a lot about bikes & I don't want to order
a seatpost & then find neither of my saddles fit without some other
kind of attachment (also, if you don't mind me asking another
question, are some types of tops considered better than others?).

Regards,

Old April 17th 04, 11:32 PM
Pete Biggs

John Latter wrote:

Er, this is going to sound like a rather naive question but do saddles
fit all of the different 'tops' to seatposts?

Nearly all modern saddles fit nearly all seatposts. Not likely to be a
problem unless you've got a super-naff saddle.

(without any extra
fittings being required I mean).

I noticed in another reply you pointed out a plain seatpost with no
built-in saddle clamp on top. These require a separate clamp. They're
not so good. Modern seatposts with a built-in clamp provide more and
finer adjustment and also save weight.

It's just that I don't know a lot about bikes & I don't want to order
a seatpost & then find neither of my saddles fit without some other
kind of attachment (also, if you don't mind me asking another
question, are some types of tops considered better than others?).

There are different types of clamping system. Most seatposts have "micro
adjust" types with one bolt to tighten saddle and usually fine steps to
alter the tilt. Some better and more expensive seatposts use two bolts
and a stepless design. Most people are happy enough with the micro-adjust
types, though, and they are cheaper. I recommend you get one of these
instead of a plain post.

Then there's another choice to be made: Do you need the saddle well
forward or directly inline with the seatpost? You need an "inline"
seatpost if so. Most have some setback or layback, though - these place
the saddle back a bit: get this type if in doubt.

~PB