Shimano vs SRAM - movie...

Old April 2nd 05, 11:58 AM
jg

Default Shimano vs SRAM - movie...

See this movie....

http://www.angryasian.com/images/Whi...r_ride_sm1.mov

Check out the movie ....

http://www.angryasian.com/images/bridge.mpg .. very funny....

Best jg

Old April 2nd 05, 08:52 PM
Zilla

What a design contrast!

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC
(Remove XSPAM)

"jg" wrote in message
See this movie....

http://www.angryasian.com/images/Whi...r_ride_sm1.mov

Check out the movie ....

http://www.angryasian.com/images/bridge.mpg .. very funny....

Best jg

Old April 2nd 05, 09:09 PM
Slack

Zilla wrote:
What a design contrast!

That's a great video clip. Perfect example of sloppy engineering.
--
Slack - the perfect armchair engineer
Old April 3rd 05, 12:25 AM
tcmedara

jg wrote:
See this movie....

http://www.angryasian.com/images/Whi...r_ride_sm1.mov

Not meaning to sound sarcastic, but so what? Seriously. The contrast is
pretty striking, but what is the practical impact on performance. I'm sure
that someone could design a derailleur that didn't move at all, but also
would be a bitch to shift. There's obviously a design trade-off there
somewhere.

Similarly, were these identical bikes, ridden at identical speeds, over the
same line? I'm cynical enough to question such obvious differences without
knowing the origin of the film.

I love SRAM stuff, but I've also never had a problem with Shimano
derailleurs. I haven't had to try the new Low-normal abomination, but
otherwise I've been happy and don't seem to suffer any performance compared
to my SRAM equiped brethren.

YMMV

Tom

Old April 3rd 05, 12:54 AM
Ride-A-Lot

tcmedara wrote:
jg wrote:

[...]

How did your demo day go? Was it raining as hard by you as it was up
here? We've had just over 2.75" since this morning with no end in
sight. Our club had our own demo day today. It was community group day
at the local REI. I ran the booth for most of the day and we signed up
a few people for our skills clinics and hopefull to turn out for our
Poker Run.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old April 3rd 05, 01:29 AM
Westie

jg wrote:
See this movie....

http://www.angryasian.com/images/Whi...r_ride_sm1.mov

The rider in that video isn't pedalling. So, if the rider isn't
pedalling and shifting, what difference does it make what your
derailleur is doing while it's not actually shifting?

I would think that there will be a difference if the chain is under
tension and that the movement, or lack of movement, would be less of an
issue.
--
Westie
Old April 3rd 05, 01:48 AM
tcmedara

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
tcmedara wrote:
jg wrote:

[...]

Working up a demo report now. It was a mudfest. All in all, not much fun.
Worthwhile, but messy

Tom

Old April 3rd 05, 05:09 AM
Zilla

"tcmedara" wrote in message
jg wrote:
See this movie....

http://www.angryasian.com/images/Whi...r_ride_sm1.mov

Not meaning to sound sarcastic, but so what? Seriously. The contrast is
pretty striking, but what is the practical impact on performance. (snip)

I don't have any SRAM experience so I'm (just) theorizing that shifting will
be
so much crispier on an SRAM since the aim is not moving. I'll try SRAM for
my next rear der just to find out for sure.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old April 3rd 05, 10:11 AM

Try Sram pulley wheels over Shimano. They last a
hell of a lot longer under the winter condictions on my commutes. Well
with all that rain and wind. for over 24 hours the sand should be no
more. I did post winter brake pads inserts yesterday afternoon. Delta
in rear and Sram in front. Had kool Stop Green in rear and Thin lin
front. The red Kool Stop fare much better.

Old April 3rd 05, 04:24 PM

Remembern Sram is 1 to 1 so your need a Sram shifter to
go along with that Sram rear derailleur.