NAHBS - handmade bicycle show

Old March 9th 12, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default NAHBS - handmade bicycle show

OK ! looking at a few photos before retirering, I see disparate elements eg polished hardwood on a bulldozer rack, chrome fenders ona Olde English style, petteat plexi tray racks ona mud slogger...

kinda design sskizoid...

comment ?

Old March 9th 12, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

LOCAL NOISE SEZ THE ODDITY design deviation is a personal statement.

what happened to Barone's post oin the incredible replica ? where izzit ?

Old March 9th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

kolldata wrote:
LOCAL NOISE SEZ THE ODDITY design deviation is a personal statement.

what happened to Barone's post oin the incredible replica ? where izzit ?

RBT 8:06 am on 8 March. Here is his link

http://www.cycleexif.com/paul-brodie-and-the-whippet

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 9th 12, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd[_2_]

On Friday, March 9, 2012 10:20:09 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
kolldata wrote:
LOCAL NOISE SEZ THE ODDITY design deviation is a personal statement.

what happened to Barone's post oin the incredible replica ? where izzit ?

RBT 8:06 am on 8 March. Here is his link

http://www.cycleexif.com/paul-brodie-and-the-whippet

Yeah, saw that at the show last week. Too weird. I think its an exercise in trying to figure how complex they can make a bike! Good Luck!

Old March 10th 12, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Old March 10th 12, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

kolldata wrote:
LOCAL NOISE SEZ THE ODDITY design deviation is *a personal statement.

what happened to Barone's post oin the incredible replica ? where izzit ?

RBT 8:06 am on 8 March. Here is his link

http://www.cycleexif.com/paul-brodie-and-the-whippet

Yeah, saw that at the show last week. Too weird. I think its an exercise in trying to figure how complex they can make a bike! Good Luck!

It is a wonderful display piece if you are selling machining and
fabrication services. *As an actual bike, it is a waste of time. *Just
go buy a double suspended 29er and throw on some skinny tires.

These days, that's true. But I believe the original Whippet predated
pneumatic tires. With solid tires, they were trying almost anything
to reduce the energy cost and discomfort of bouncing over bumps.

On this replica, I'm impressed by the craftsmanship, and yes, it is
good advertising. Beyond that, even if they're not the most
effective, I think replicas of old designs can be kind of neat, in a
steampunk way.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 10th 12, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

kolldata wrote:
[...]

Dear Frank,

Yes, the Whippet appeared in 1885, several years before Dunlop's
pneumatic ti

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/r...reenwidth=1280

A few details about the Whippet patent, with a typo dating pneumatics
from 1881:

http://objectwiki.sciencemuseum.org....y_Bicycle.html

A few similar solid-tire suspension bikes . . .

The Victor half-heart front suspension:
http://tinyurl.com/6o773e
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2146/...29411184_o.jpg

The G&J rear-suspension:
http://tinyurl.com/y7p2eq4

The Columbia front coil-spring suspension, with enormous seat-springs
and a charming early chain:
http://tinyurl.com/7z9xw2e

CMC tricycle front suspension (the date is a typo, it's circa 1888,
not 1898), with impressive seat-springs:
http://tinyurl.com/5l4qzy

Possibly the weirdest solid-tire suspension scheme:
http://www.sterba-bike.cz/album/366/...allery?lang=EN

Some anti-vibration gear from Sturmey's 1887 catalogue:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cbd...page&q&f=false

The Special version of Starley's Rover had a strange front suspension:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cbd...page&q&f=false

The Whippet:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cbd...page&q&f=false

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old March 10th 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

wrote:

kolldata wrote:
[...]

That's an interesting catalog of design attempts.

When I look at ancient bike designs, I'm sometimes surprised by how long
it took to come up with what now seem obvious solutions to simple
problems. I mean even seemingly trivial problems, like "How should we
attach the saddle to the frame?" let alone things like mechanical
suspension.

But of course, we're used to seeing the result of thousands of small,
evolutionary steps in design, not to mention the huge sudden mutations
like the pneumatic tire. Each of those steps required much head
scratching, with some results much more elegant than others.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 10th 12, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

an accurate replica offers opportunity to grasp what technology, and design thought analysis, could produce during the original construction. you could research an industrial materials history timeline leading to the original..In Google Books or whatever this week.
Like to ride it. Prob effective over a narrow range of road conditions needing tuning with the aux box spring package.

thanks carl !