How 2 Strip Paint from Chrome Front Fork?

Old March 13th 12, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default How 2 Strip Paint from Chrome Front Fork?

Chalo wrote:
On Mar 13, 1:56 pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:43 pm, AMuzi wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:12 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.
I replaced my Columbus SL Miele with the cracked top tube with another
Columbus SL Miele frame that's a different colour. This frame didn't
come with a front fork but that's okay because the other one is in
perfect shape.
When I took the fork off of the other frame I noticed that the fork
was chrome plated at the fork ends and that the chrome plating
extended up to and part way along the steerer tube. This is great *IF*
I can get the lavender paint and the primer off without harming or
discolouring the underlying chrome plating.
I very carefully scraped a bit of the paint and primer off a small
section of the fork. It is definitely bright chrome under the paint
and primer.
I have some Circa 1851 Paint Stripper that has worked very well to
remove paint from frames that I had repainted. Do any of you know for
sure if this Circa 1851 paint stripper would be safe to use to strip
away the paint and primer and not harm or discolour the underlying
chrome?
Otherwise, what would be a good way to strip the paint and primer
without causing any damage or discolouration of the underlying chrome?
No need to strip, which brigs in chrome prep issues.
Wash it well, solvent rinse, wet sand, then shoot
primer-sealer, wetsand followed by your color right over
that finish.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Hi Andrew and the otherswho took the time to help me with this.

Thanks very much. The weather here has turned very mild and I'll strip
the paint off tomorrow. I'll be very sure to give the stripped forks a
complete rinse to remove any stripper residue.

You people are super and your helpfull advice is greatly appreciated
by me.

In the past, I've had much better luck stripping Dupont Imron off bike
frames by using aerosol "aircraft stripper" from the auto parts store
than by using gel brush-on paint stripper from the hardware store.

And like everyone else says, don't get it on you. I'll add that you
should have a supply of fresh water ready to go in case you do get
some on you.

Chalo

Much agreed. Mar-Hyde Aircraft Stripper rocks. Nothing else
(except maybe DuPont 5662) works as well.

Old March 13th 12, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 13, 2:43 pm, AMuzi wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:12 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Hi Andrew and Chalo.

If I didn't already have the Circa 1850 paint stripper I'd definitely
try the stuff you recommend.

I have protective stuff I wear when I'm using this stripper. I'll be
putting the front fork on a wad of paper and then simply fold up the
entire mess when the stripping is done.

I'll aso rinse the entire work area (outside of course) with water to
besure no residue or splatters of stripper are left anywhere.

Thanks again and cheers
Old March 13th 12, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:33:17 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Much agreed. Mar-Hyde Aircraft Stripper rocks. Nothing else
(except maybe DuPont 5662) works as well.

Ahem... Mar-Hyde Tal-Strip Aircraft Coating Remover goo is 60-100%
methyl chloride. See the MSDS at:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8teOxmZ5v70k 17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
The rest is a cocktail of potions that look more like contaminants and
reaction products than intentional ingredients. Well, maybe the
propellant is real. I also don't like the idea of putting it in a
spray can, which makes inhalation rather risky, especially indoors.
Please be careful with this stuff. You have but one life to give for
your hobby.

I couldn't find anything called DuPont 5662 paint stripper. URL
please?

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old March 14th 12, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:33:17 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Much agreed. Mar-Hyde Aircraft Stripper rocks. Nothing else
(except maybe DuPont 5662) works as well.

Ahem... Mar-Hyde Tal-Strip Aircraft Coating Remover goo is 60-100%
methyl chloride. See the MSDS at:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8teOxmZ5v70k 17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--
The rest is a cocktail of potions that look more like contaminants and
reaction products than intentional ingredients. Well, maybe the
propellant is real. I also don't like the idea of putting it in a
spray can, which makes inhalation rather risky, especially indoors.
Please be careful with this stuff. You have but one life to give for
your hobby.

I couldn't find anything called DuPont 5662 paint stripper. URL
please?

I switched to Mar-Hyde Aircraft and quit the dip tank full
of DuPont strip years ago. I don't see it listed now either:

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...b/dr/home.html

Which is too bad as it was amazingly quick and effective.

overview of paint removal:
http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/..._feature7.html

p.s. To work well, a stripper needs to chemically change a
range of primers and/or coatings in some non trivial way and
yes that means a bunch of components you'd rather not have
on your skin or eyes.

Old March 14th 12, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 13, 2:43 pm, AMuzi wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:12 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Hello again fellows.

My Circa 1850 stripper was all gone so I read the ingrediants of the
small can of Home Hardware's Gel Paint stripper I also had (but forgot
I did) and saw that they were very similar to the Circa 1850 stuff.
About 1/2 hour ago I finished washing and copiously rinsing the
successfully stripped forks with very hot almost boiling water I
usedmany gallons of rinse water to be positive I got all of the
residue from the stipper off. I just need to touch up the black paint
on the stem, bars and brake levers and the rebuild will be completely
finished.

Therefore I once again than and commend you all for your speedy,
timely and very informative replies both to this topic and many others
I've started.

May the wind be at your back and your punctures few.

Cheers
Old March 14th 12, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 13, 9:36*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

This is very easy to do, just take a piece of sheet aluminum, about
1/16" - 1/8" thick and use it as you would an ice scraper on your
windshield.

Lewis

*****
Old March 14th 12, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:47:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

I switched to Mar-Hyde Aircraft and quit the dip tank full
of DuPont strip years ago. I don't see it listed now either:

http://pc.dupont.com/dpc/en/US/html/...b/dr/home.html

Which is too bad as it was amazingly quick and effective.

overview of paint removal:
http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/..._feature7.html

p.s. To work well, a stripper needs to chemically change a
range of primers and/or coatings in some non trivial way and
yes that means a bunch of components you'd rather not have
on your skin or eyes.

Any idea what was in the DuPont stuff? (Just curious). The only
things I would guess(tm) that might help is something to remove any
grease from the surface, so something to help the small methyl
chloride molecules can literally undermine the paint (surfactant?) and
wreck the adhesion. Maybe some acetone to soften the paint layer.
Since the primer is metallic (zinc chromate), maybe some acid to
attack the primer. Dunno, I'm guessing.

For your entertainment, methyl chloride is one of the methods of
decaffeinating coffee.
http://www.worldwidemart.com/choice/decaf01.html
"Virtually no solvent residue remains after
roasting the beans."
Yeah, sure. That's enough to make me switch back to the high octane
stuff.

Also, note that the EPA considers methyl chloride a cancer risk when
inhaled:
http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylen.html

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old March 14th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

I don't recall the MSD but methyl somethings.

Strippers work first and best where there are scratches,
even small ones, which blister up allowing penetration under
the surface. Topcoats often fall off in sheets once the
primer lifts.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/bot12a.jpg

Washing before stripping to remove wax and oils helps. Also
nicking any graphics and the nice shiny spots where there
were stickers with a few passes of a blade so the stripper
reacts with the primer.

Old March 14th 12, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

sandpaper
gloves, alcohol, green pot scrubber pads all from Wal.
Old March 14th 12, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 22:34:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

I don't recall the MSD but methyl somethings.

MEK (methyl ethyl keytone). Used to soften the paint so that the
methyl chloride can sneak under it. Usually used with acetone,
methanol, and other chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents. More nasty
stuff.

There is also a paint stripper that uses just these and no methyl
chloride:
http://www.starten.com
Also benzyl alcohol:
http://www.flexisolv.com/en/applications/paint-strippers.html
No experience with how these function on bicycle paint.

Strippers work first and best where there are scratches,
even small ones, which blister up allowing penetration under
the surface. Topcoats often fall off in sheets once the
primer lifts.

Yep, that's the way it works. The stripper softens the paint, which
expands, blisters, and seperates from the underlying layers of primer
or base metal. It has to have a point of entry between the paint
layers and the primer or base metal in order to work. I was told to
use rough sandpaper to gouge groves into the paint before applying the
stripper. It seems to speed up the reaction.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/bot12a.jpg

Yech. Messy. I guess sandblasting is not an alternative.