Are KMC-Z chains directional?

Old March 8th 21, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Are KMC-Z chains directional?

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:54:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 11:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/5/21 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:15:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 8:34 PM, James wrote:
[...]
Maybe the whole directional thing is because the chain
manufacturer likes their logo to be visible?

Directional wear and asymmetric (directional) design are two
different things:

https://www.sram.com/globalassets/im...del.jpg?w=1000

That gives me a much better idea of what we're talking about. I had gone out and looked at my top end chains and they had tooth engagement bevels only on one side but otherwise looked identical.

High-Tech!

It wouldn't likely matter for my stuff and I don't care about saving a
few milliseconds per shift. I sometimes even grind off part of the wider
spline and flip around a worn cog in the cassette to milk a few thousand
more miles out of it.

MY GOD Joerg, you're no bicycle aficionado at all!

Yeah, to me bicycles are simply utility device. The hose clamp still
rides along, to keep the steerer from loosening too much.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG

In Europe my Gazelle frame is often considered a classic and has fetched
prices north of $500 on EBay but ... mine is quite worn and when I had
my last rear tire blow-out I did the unthinkable. Fixed it with gauze
from my first aid kit.

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Gauze.JPG

Those 15mi with the gauze rubbed the chainstays bare on the insides but
it got me home. I took a can of gray Rustoleum that I had left over and
sprayed some of it onto the blue frame.

After the aluminum handlebar broke off (nasty crash) I affixed a MTB
straight bar from steel. My road bike also has MTB pedals which many
purists consider disgusting.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I'm trying to picture a Gazelle as a classic bike rather than a classic mishap.
Old March 8th 21, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 3/8/21 12:08 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:54:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 11:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/5/21 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:15:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 8:34 PM, James wrote:
[...]
[...]

It's not the behemoth frame of a Dutch city bike but the Gazelle Trim
Trophy:

https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/s...e-trim-trophy/

Of course it's not a PX-10 yet the last one I saw sold for 550 Euros.
Not NOS but with obvious scuff marks and all. Couldn't believe it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 8th 21, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 12:25:20 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 12:08 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:54:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 11:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/5/21 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:15:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 8:34 PM, James wrote:
[...]
[...]

That's interesting, I had the idea that Mondial's were Italian.
Old March 8th 21, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/8/2021 3:22 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 12:25:20 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 12:08 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:54:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 11:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/5/21 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:15:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 8:34 PM, James wrote:
[...]
[...]

c.f. 'Champion du Monde'; nearly every brand has one.

Common race bike name, like Vittoria, Competizione, Record,
Campione etc.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 8th 21, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 8:25:20 PM UTC, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 12:08 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:

I'm trying to picture a Gazelle as a classic bike rather than a classic mishap.

It's not the behemoth frame of a Dutch city bike but the Gazelle Trim
Trophy:

https://www.vintagevelo.co.uk/shop/s...e-trim-trophy/

Of course it's not a PX-10 yet the last one I saw sold for 550 Euros.
Not NOS but with obvious scuff marks and all. Couldn't believe it.

..
If that *thing* with the ultra-skinny tyres is your idea of a bike for racing downhill in the rough, no wonder you have lots of accidents. -- AJ
Old March 9th 21, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 12:08 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:54:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 11:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/5/21 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:15:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 8:34 PM, James wrote:
[...]
[...]

They sure weren’t pinching pennies when they installed the brake housing on
the one you linked to.

Old March 9th 21, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 5:24:21 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 12:08 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:54:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 11:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/5/21 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:15:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 8:34 PM, James wrote:
[...]
[...]

It looks like a long horn beetle. Live and learn, though -- I'd never heard of Shimano Golden Arrow, and its not as though I wasn't paying attention, but I guess in the '83-'86 time frame, I was buying Campy or Dura Ace.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old March 9th 21, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Lou Holtman wrote:

Lou, If you are able to watch the coverage of the Strade Bianca 2021 I
recommend it.

It's "-nche", actu-alloy.

Congratulations to the Dutch, but Chantal vdBroek's finish was the sort of
race tactic non-enthusiasts despise about this sport and probably did not
win her new fans in Italy.

Speaking of landscapes that look preferential to Belgium's narrow cycle
lanes and grey willows: Anyone in NED, Cal. or Tx. have any use for a few
intelligent-yet-idiot, wwoof-er farmhands?
https://www.pnas.org/content/pnas/118/12/e2019034118.full.pdf

--
Condidering experimental vaccination to travel asap? Take a moment to
listen to this Geert Vanden Bossche guy:
Old March 9th 21, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

.
If that *thing* with the ultra-skinny tyres is your idea of a bike for racing downhill in the rough, no wonder you have lots of accidents. -- AJ

I've got two bikes. The almost 40 year old road bike with its 25mm tires
is for fast rides on pavement, gravel roads and the occasional dirt
road. The MTB has 2.2" knobby tires, full suspension and is for the more
gnarly rides. Even when I expect only a few miles of rough trail and
don't want to walk that section I use the MTB.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 9th 21, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 12:08 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 11:54:44 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/8/21 11:04 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 10:12:42 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 3/5/21 9:27 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 7:15:36 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2021 8:34 PM, James wrote:
[...]
[...]

Not sure if that group set came with hoods but they might have failed
from too much UV exposure and then they cut them off. Mine from the
Shimano 600EX set lasted almost four decades but I've since removed
them. They do have visible cracks at the edges.

It looks like a long horn beetle. Live and learn, though -- I'd never heard of Shimano Golden Arrow, and its not as though I wasn't paying attention, but I guess in the '83-'86 time frame, I was buying Campy or Dura Ace.

Many bikes including mine were semi-custom built. I bought the frame to
fit my size and then selected all the parts myself. The bike shop
assembled and tuned everything. The customary hgher-end Shimano
equipment back then (unless you really wanted to skimp) was 600EX which
mine has. Some I removed because I installed a longer cage MicroShift
derailer to be able to use MTB cassettes. The brake handles are now
Shimano Altus because I went to a steel flat bar. Don't trust aluminum
anymore after a spectacular failure and subsequent crash at speed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Chains John B.[_3_] Techniques 15 December 11th 13 11:47 PM
chains.... again..... Keyser Sose UK 3 October 10th 06 01:29 AM
Giant Revive directional stability problem wobbler Recumbent Biking 10 July 14th 05 10:27 PM
chains, anyone? Ray Peace Australia 6 April 1st 05 10:50 AM
Chains Keith Willoughby UK 63 April 24th 04 11:42 AM