First long ride on my new bike (long)

Old November 24th 03, 04:24 PM
David Kerber

Default First long ride on my new bike (long)

As I've posted here over the last two months or so, I got my new Fuji
Touring in early September. This past Saturday, I got my first long
(for me, anyway) ride on it, and was very impressed with it. I had
done plenty of rides up to about 22 miles before, but for this longer
ride I rode with another poster here in the NG's; I won't identify
him, but if he wants to chime in with additional comments, you'll
know.

The weather on Saturday was great: temps in the 50's, bright sun, and
a little more wind than I would have liked, but nothing horrible. I
have described all the stuff I have hanging on my bike in other posts,
so I won't repeat it here except to say that I was curious to see how
my homemade wheel covers would work out. I brought along a jacket,
but could tell within the first 1/2 mile that I wouldn't need it. I
was hoping that riding with a partner would help me to keep from
pushing too hard and burnng out early.

I left the house at 9:15 and rode the 8 miles or so to the starting
point (a Walmart) and got there a few minutes early, so I sat on a
bench in the sun; it was so nice that I was really tempted to just sit
there for the rest of the day. He pulled up in his truck with the
bike in the back and unloaded. After a few minutes we took off.

We did several miles on a couple of roads with wide shoulders (wide
enough to ride side-by-side and still leave room between us and the
travel lanes), with a side tour through the veterans cemetary, then a
short stretch on a narrower busier road with little shoulder room, but
which took us to the South County bike path. This path was extended
within the last two months to about 7 miles. At the end of the path,
a half-mile or so on a busy commercial road brought us back to
residential streets.

A stop for lunch, and then we took one of my regular routes along the
ocean, which was gorgeous riding: a good tail wind meant that with a
nice easy speed of 16+ mph, we were feeling basically no relative
wind. Of course, that only lasted until we turned around after
another short rest at the Pt. Judith light house. That wind wasn't
nearly so nice going the other way, but after a few miles we got back
into the trees which blocked most of it. Another mile or two of
exposed riding along the beach, a couple of side road explorations,
and I realized it was starting to get colder and dimmer, so I turned
on my tail light and let him lead so that cars coming up behind would
see us as we ran into and out of the shadows from the lowering sun. I
also had on my bright yellow jersey to help the visibility. At this
point, we were probably about 10 miles from the Walmart. We rode
together about half this distance, and then I turned around and turned
on my headlight to ride the five or six miles home because I didn't
fancy riding any longer at twilight than necessary. I pushed pretty
hard on the way home, staying on the aero bars for most of it, and
running over 18mph almost the whole way except for the one big hill.

I ended up pulling into my driveway at 4:16, (which is just a few
minutes before sunset this time of year), having covered 61.45 miles
on my computer in almost exactly 7 hours. The computer said the
moving time was about 4:45 (didn't record it), with a moving average
of about 12.9 mph. This was nearly three times my previous longest
ride on this bike, and also the longest I've ever done. When I was a
kid my Boy Scout troop did a 50 miler once, which was my previous
long.

I survived it much better than I expected. As expected, my butt was a
little sore, but nothing serious, and my legs and arms were tired but
again nothing serious. I could have easily gone longer if I had
enough daylight. The next day my shoulders were just a little sore
and my legs a little tired; it just felt like I had done a good whole-
body workout the previous day (which is exactly what it was, I guess).

As for the lessons learned, I think I need to shorten my stem by 10 or
15 mm to reduce the weight on my hands a little, but other than that
it felt really good. I was pleasantly surprised how well my
Specialized Body Geometry seat worked as long as I made sure I was
well back on it. If I let myself slide forward too much it was
causing a little numbness. I had previously noticed that I tend to
slide forward when pushing hard on training rides, occasionally
causing some numbness. And based on how my legs feel, I don't think I
want to move the seat any further forward. I was glad I had long
sleeves on, but didn't really need as much insulation on my torso as
I had. I also think leg warmers are in order when the temps are in
the mid-50's and below, so I'll have to look into that as well.

The ride was great, and now I can't wait for next summer when I hope
to join some of the local group rides to rack up a few more miles in
warmer weather.

Thanks for listening!

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old November 24th 03, 08:55 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:24:11 -0500, David Kerber
wrote:
As I've posted here over the last two months or so, I got my new Fuji
Touring in early September. This past Saturday, I got my first long
(for me, anyway) ride on it, and was very impressed with it. I had
done plenty of rides up to about 22 miles before, but for this longer
ride I rode with another poster here in the NG's; I won't identify
him, but if he wants to chime in with additional comments, you'll
know.

I figured you might be embarrassed to be associated with me. I am
the controversial one, right?

was hoping that riding with a partner would help me to keep from
pushing too hard and burnng out early.

I was certainly able to do that -- I was embarrassingly out of shape
from not riding for a couple months. It didn't show up at first; I
felt quite strong at the beginning, but after we had some miles on
us, I felt it much worse than I expected to. When we were deciding
whether or not to hit Pt. Judith, I should have declined; but I
suppose it was good for my health.

I left the house at 9:15 and rode the 8 miles or so to the starting
point (a Walmart) and got there a few minutes early, so I sat on a
bench in the sun; it was so nice that I was really tempted to just sit
there for the rest of the day. He pulled up in his truck with the

Afraid of how de-conditioned I was, I wanted to just sit there the
rest of the day too.

I survived it much better than I expected. As expected, my butt was a
little sore, but nothing serious, and my legs and arms were tired but
again nothing serious. I could have easily gone longer if I had
enough daylight. The next day my shoulders were just a little sore
and my legs a little tired; it just felt like I had done a good whole-
body workout the previous day (which is exactly what it was, I guess).

I did recover quicker than usual, although my butt is still sore.
However, later that day, I had a hypoglycemia attack -- never had
one before, so I didn't know what was going on. I was short of
breath, my stomach was knotted as if I was nervous, I couldn't think
clearly, and I was a bit dizzy. I was driving when it got that bad,
so I pulled over and called my girlfriend, who guessed hypoglycemia;
and sure enough, some beef jerky, Ritz crackers, and a soda later I
was almost human.

As for the lessons learned, I think I need to shorten my stem by 10 or
15 mm to reduce the weight on my hands a little, but other than that

Maybe, but I thought the same thing about my bike when I first
started taking long rides on it. Shortening the stem made it
significantly worse. You saw the stem I went to -- 130mm, 45 degree
rise; it stretched me longer and put my hands higher. You may need
to do something similar (though maybe not as drastic).

My lessons learned:
1. If you can't ride for two months, at least get a trainer or
something
2. There's no reasonable amount or type of food for me to eat on a
long ride. I've progressed from my 2 pounds of grease lunch (bonked
when all the blood went to my digestive system) to a couple pizza
strips (Maybe the same problem as the burger and mozzarella sticks)
to crackers and Gu (insufficient fuel), and nothing worked; and when
I only had crackers and Gu, I ended up hypoglycemic too.

Speaking of trainers, did _anybody_ see my question on the Bell
trainer?

The ride was great, and now I can't wait for next summer when I hope
to join some of the local group rides to rack up a few more miles in
warmer weather.

I really ought to do the same. I bet I could hit 100 miles drafting
a group!

Thanks for listening!

--
Rick Onanian
Old November 24th 03, 09:18 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
wrote:
As I've posted here over the last two months or so, I got my new Fuji
Touring in early September. This past Saturday, I got my first long
(for me, anyway) ride on it, and was very impressed with it. I had
done plenty of rides up to about 22 miles before, but for this longer
ride I rode with another poster here in the NG's; I won't identify
him, but if he wants to chime in with additional comments, you'll
know.

I figured you might be embarrassed to be associated with me. I am
the controversial one, right?

LOL! Some people just don't want their names brought up in a public
forum by someone else.

was hoping that riding with a partner would help me to keep from
pushing too hard and burnng out early.

I was certainly able to do that -- I was embarrassingly out of shape
from not riding for a couple months. It didn't show up at first; I
felt quite strong at the beginning, but after we had some miles on
us, I felt it much worse than I expected to. When we were deciding
whether or not to hit Pt. Judith, I should have declined; but I
suppose it was good for my health.

It wouldn't have been as cold at the end, either. Your arms must have
been freezing; as I said below, I was *really* glad I had the long
sleeves.

[...]

That would be scary; it's never happened to me that I recall. Is your
GF in a medical field? You should have brought the Ritz and beef
jerkey along with you!

As for the lessons learned, I think I need to shorten my stem by 10 or
15 mm to reduce the weight on my hands a little, but other than that

Maybe, but I thought the same thing about my bike when I first
started taking long rides on it. Shortening the stem made it
significantly worse. You saw the stem I went to -- 130mm, 45 degree
rise; it stretched me longer and put my hands higher. You may need
to do something similar (though maybe not as drastic).

I definitely don't need any longer, but just a little higher might do
the trick.

My lessons learned:
1. If you can't ride for two months, at least get a trainer or
something
2. There's no reasonable amount or type of food for me to eat on a
long ride. I've progressed from my 2 pounds of grease lunch (bonked
when all the blood went to my digestive system) to a couple pizza
strips (Maybe the same problem as the burger and mozzarella sticks)
to crackers and Gu (insufficient fuel), and nothing worked; and when
I only had crackers and Gu, I ended up hypoglycemic too.

The crackers don't have much sugar in them, though I thought the
Reese's would have helped that. It's taken me a few years to get to
know my body well enough to be able to properly pace my food
and drink consumption over the course of a day of exertion; you'll get
there with experience.

Speaking of trainers, did _anybody_ see my question on the Bell
trainer?

The ride was great, and now I can't wait for next summer when I hope
to join some of the local group rides to rack up a few more miles in
warmer weather.

I really ought to do the same. I bet I could hit 100 miles drafting
a group!

That's my goal, too. With this 60+ under my belt, I'm now reasonably
confident I could do 100 with some training and group moral support.
I really had no idea of how my bike and I would do on a long ride
until now; I hadn't done more than 23 miles in a day since I was a
teenager in the mid-70's.

Old November 24th 03, 11:06 PM
Josh Gatts

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message
2. There's no reasonable amount or type of food for me to eat on a
long ride. I've progressed from my 2 pounds of grease lunch (bonked
when all the blood went to my digestive system) to a couple pizza
strips (Maybe the same problem as the burger and mozzarella sticks)
to crackers and Gu (insufficient fuel), and nothing worked; and when
I only had crackers and Gu, I ended up hypoglycemic too.

Gu is OK, but unless you're rich, you'll go broke if you use enough of it to
replenish burnt calories on a long ride. I find that some combination of
fig newtons, bananas, pretzels (mostly for the salt), peanut butter
sandwiches, and payday bars can usually keep me going as long as my muscles
hold out.

2 fig newtons ~= 1 GU.

--Josh

Old November 24th 03, 11:15 PM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:18:52 -0500, David Kerber
wrote:
In article ,
says...
LOL! Some people just don't want their names brought up in a public
forum by someone else.

My name gets dirty enough here that I'm pretty flexible unless we
did anything on our ride that would get me in trouble (we didn't).

It wouldn't have been as cold at the end, either. Your arms must have
been freezing; as I said below, I was *really* glad I had the long
sleeves.

I think I remember mentioning when my arms did get cold, although I
don't remember cold arms. My lungs were _dying_ from the cold air,
though -- they'd probably have handled it better if I had practice.

However, later that day, I had a hypoglycemia attack -- never had
so I pulled over and called my girlfriend, who guessed hypoglycemia;
and sure enough, some beef jerky, Ritz crackers, and a soda later I

That would be scary; it's never happened to me that I recall. Is your
GF in a medical field? You should have brought the Ritz and beef
jerkey along with you!

No, but she recently had a spate of HG attacks, and had to go to a
doctor to find out, so it was at the forefront of her mind. She
actually guessed heart attack first, but I'm stubborn and young so I
refused to call 911 -- and as we went over the symptoms, she made
the connection.

Ritz probably would be fine for the ride, but I bet the beef jerky
would be the same problem as my preferred greaseburger type food.
However, while bonk-causing, it is probably HG-avoiding.

2. There's no reasonable amount or type of food for me to eat on a
long ride.
to crackers and Gu (insufficient fuel), and nothing worked; and when
I only had crackers and Gu, I ended up hypoglycemic too.

The crackers don't have much sugar in them, though I thought the
Reese's would have helped that. It's taken me a few years to get to

AFAIK, the simple sugars in the candy are no good for more than a
couple minutes of fuel, and probably contributed to my later
hypoglycemia. The crackers (orange-colored "cheese flavored
cracker" peanut butter sandwiches, standard type) are probably a
pretty good balance of simple and complex carbohydrates, but if I
eat enough of them to fuel me, I probably will bonk trying to digest
them.

know my body well enough to be able to properly pace my food
and drink consumption over the course of a day of exertion; you'll get
there with experience.

Actually, I forgot that I already have it figured out, and just
haven't done it: My carb-loading breakfast, good for 45 miles all
summer (and only good for 30 or so on Saturday), eaten again for
lunch, ought to do it: Mass quantities of Rice Krispies in whole
milk. I bet if I stop at a store and get that for lunch, I'll be
fine.

I really ought to do the same. I bet I could hit 100 miles drafting
a group!

That's my goal, too. With this 60+ under my belt, I'm now reasonably
confident I could do 100 with some training and group moral support.

Don't forget group drafting support. Next time we ride, I'll pull
on Route 2 and you'll see what I mean; at least, it worked well for
me there when I drafted before. I was really quite surprised; I
thought the effect would be negligible, but it was quite strong.
--
Rick Onanian
Old November 24th 03, 11:17 PM
Richard Adams

David Kerber wrote:

As I've posted here over the last two months or so, I got my new Fuji
Touring in early September. This past Saturday, I got my first long
(for me, anyway) ride on it, and was very impressed with it. I had
done plenty of rides up to about 22 miles before, but for this longer
ride I rode with another poster here in the NG's; I won't identify
him, but if he wants to chime in with additional comments, you'll
know.

My first _real_ bike was a Fuji, by today's standards heavy, but sturdy
and a good ride. I used to rip around town doing 13-15 miles each day,
before I really knew anything about cycling or proper kit. My first 25
mile ride was a painful experience.

The weather on Saturday was great: temps in the 50's, bright sun, and
a little more wind than I would have liked, but nothing horrible. I
have described all the stuff I have hanging on my bike in other posts,
so I won't repeat it here except to say that I was curious to see how
my homemade wheel covers would work out. I brought along a jacket,
but could tell within the first 1/2 mile that I wouldn't need it. I
was hoping that riding with a partner would help me to keep from
pushing too hard and burnng out early.

Sounds like you put a fair amount of thought into it, that's always a
good sign. :-) How many times have I felt like the "rudder-less child"
a long way from home and wondering if I'd ever see it again? Too many.
A moderate pace for a first long ride is a good idea. When I got my
new road bike in Sept. I did some long rides, 60-80 miles, but very
slowly, trying to convert a mountain biking physiology to road, it did
hurt the first few times, but got better. Now I do 40-60 miles, trying
to pick up the speed each time.

I left the house at 9:15 and rode the 8 miles or so to the starting
point (a Walmart)

They just let everyone congregate in their parking lots, don't they? ;-)

and got there a few minutes early, so I sat on a
bench in the sun; it was so nice that I was really tempted to just sit
there for the rest of the day. He pulled up in his truck with the
bike in the back and unloaded. After a few minutes we took off.

Sit too long and it gets harder to get started again. This effect
increases with age. ;-)

We did several miles on a couple of roads with wide shoulders (wide
enough to ride side-by-side and still leave room between us and the
travel lanes), with a side tour through the veterans cemetary, then a
short stretch on a narrower busier road with little shoulder room, but
which took us to the South County bike path. This path was extended
within the last two months to about 7 miles. At the end of the path,
a half-mile or so on a busy commercial road brought us back to
residential streets.

Next time out, practice taking turns at the front. You'll be surprised
how much easier the ride goes and how much faster or further you can go.

[...]

Aerobars? Leave those home unless you're Tri or Time Trial training.
You should be able to ride comfortably and quickly in the bar drops.

I ended up pulling into my driveway at 4:16, (which is just a few
minutes before sunset this time of year), having covered 61.45 miles
on my computer in almost exactly 7 hours. The computer said the
moving time was about 4:45 (didn't record it), with a moving average
of about 12.9 mph. This was nearly three times my previous longest
ride on this bike, and also the longest I've ever done. When I was a
kid my Boy Scout troop did a 50 miler once, which was my previous
long.

Keep doing them and when spring/summer roll around you'll be able to
cover more ground and do some excellent touring.

[...]

Knee warmers at the least. It's surprising how fast I find myself
chilled to the bone on 65 degree days when I drop into a long descent in
the shade. They're light and can be kept in a jersey pocket.

Do a few more rides, try to pick up your pace and then think again about
what adjustments you'd like to make. Some of what you're feeling is
just getting used to riding the bike. I figured a months riding, 3-4
times a week, was sufficient to get a clear picture of what changes I
need to make (mostly the shoe/cleat department, fortunately a local pro
is selling me a couple pairs of very good shoes :-)

The ride was great, and now I can't wait for next summer when I hope
to join some of the local group rides to rack up a few more miles in
warmer weather.

Thanks for listening!

You might start looking now for weekend tours, groups which do a long
ride over Sat/Sun and you catch train back home, etc. I live on the
west coast and there's a few of these every year. I hope to do the ride
from Big Sur to San Luis Obispo.

Old November 24th 03, 11:23 PM
Richard Adams

Josh Gatts wrote:

"Rick Onanian" wrote in message

2. There's no reasonable amount or type of food for me to eat on a
long ride. I've progressed from my 2 pounds of grease lunch (bonked
when all the blood went to my digestive system) to a couple pizza
strips (Maybe the same problem as the burger and mozzarella sticks)
to crackers and Gu (insufficient fuel), and nothing worked; and when
I only had crackers and Gu, I ended up hypoglycemic too.

Gu is OK, but unless you're rich, you'll go broke if you use enough of it to
replenish burnt calories on a long ride. I find that some combination of
fig newtons, bananas, pretzels (mostly for the salt), peanut butter
sandwiches, and payday bars can usually keep me going as long as my muscles
hold out.

2 fig newtons ~= 1 GU.

--Josh

I chow Clif bars, which we can get for $1 each at Trader Joes. (Tip:
cut end off wrapper at home before heading out, makes it easier to bite
off a chunk on the go.) Gu is about 100 Cal, Clif bars about 200. Gu
also is just pure energy, and a token amount of electrolytes. Clif or
Powerbars give you some protein and a broader nutrient content. Bananas
are too hard to eat on the go, I eat one before and one after a ride to
keep Charlie Horse in the corral.

Last word on Clif bars vs. others, I'm allergic to peanuts and dairy :-(
so Powerbars and many others are beyond my consideration, unless I feel
like riding home at 5 mph hung over the bars. Clif offers a variety
which are free of peanuts and dairy, other than trace amounts which may
be there from manufacturing. A tiny amount I can take, but a smoothie
nearly put me in the hospital months ago.

Old November 24th 03, 11:55 PM
Zoot Katz

24 Nov 2003 22:23:35 GMT, ,
Richard Adams wrote:

Last word on Clif bars vs. others, I'm allergic to peanuts and dairy :-(
so Powerbars and many others are beyond my consideration, unless I feel
like riding home at 5 mph hung over the bars. Clif offers a variety
which are free of peanuts and dairy, other than trace amounts which may
be there from manufacturing. A tiny amount I can take, but a smoothie
nearly put me in the hospital months ago.

Try making your own snacks.

http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm
--
zk
Old November 25th 03, 04:27 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:06:42 -0800, "Josh Gatts"
wrote:
fig newtons, bananas, pretzels (mostly for the salt), peanut butter
sandwiches, and payday bars can usually keep me going as long as my muscles
hold out.

Trouble is, my pallet doesn't include those things. I can't stand
fig newtons (apple newtons are tolerable, I don't know if they're
nutritionally similar) or bananas; I don't like potato-chip-bag
"pretzels", although real pretzels are yummy; I do eat plain PB
sandwiches (even on wheat), and I don't remember what's in a payday.

Okay, actually, I could do something like that, minus the first two
items.

I neglected to mention that my camelbak had 50 oz of sports drink,
which I think helped sustain me as long as I did survive, but I ran
out and didn't come prepared to make more (didn't expect to need
it). Next time I'll remember a baggy of powder (and hope nobody
sees it and thinks I've got cocaine .

I'll try PB sandwiches, and I expect that the breakfast that serves
me well (Rice Krispies + whole milk in large quantities) ought to
work for lunch, if I ever remember to use that strategy.

--Josh

--
Rick "Getting hungry now" Onanian
Old November 25th 03, 04:58 AM
Josh Gatts

wrote:
fig newtons, bananas, pretzels (mostly for the salt), peanut butter
sandwiches, and payday bars can usually keep me going as long as my

muscles
hold out.

Trouble is, my pallet doesn't include those things. I can't stand
fig newtons (apple newtons are tolerable, I don't know if they're
nutritionally similar) or bananas; I don't like potato-chip-bag
"pretzels", although real pretzels are yummy; I do eat plain PB
sandwiches (even on wheat), and I don't remember what's in a payday.

Okay, actually, I could do something like that, minus the first two
items.

Of course, everybody has different tastes. The idea is to have mostly
simple sugars while you're riding, with a bit of starch, sodium, and
potassium thrown in. Apple, raspberry, etc. newtons are pretty
nutritionally similar to the fig species. Protein seems to help recovery
after a hard ride.

I neglected to mention that my camelbak had 50 oz of sports drink,
which I think helped sustain me as long as I did survive, but I ran
out and didn't come prepared to make more (didn't expect to need
it). Next time I'll remember a baggy of powder (and hope nobody
sees it and thinks I've got cocaine .

I don't think cocaine comes in purple and pink, does it? :-)

I'll try PB sandwiches, and I expect that the breakfast that serves
me well (Rice Krispies + whole milk in large quantities) ought to
work for lunch, if I ever remember to use that strategy.

Oooh, Rice Krispies treats are a nice snack for the sweet-toothed bike
rider, too.

--Josh

insurance claim - valuation and depreciation (very long) Jürgen Hartwig General 22 November 14th 03 10:45 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Ride report: 28th Annual Jamestown Classic (long) David Kerber General 2 October 16th 03 01:05 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM