another helmet saves head injury story

Old August 22nd 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default another helmet saves head injury story

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...urch_teenager/

Old August 22nd 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...urch_teenager/

Or not since he got a grazed eyebrow and when I last checked eyebrows
were still considered to be located on the head. OTOH the grazed
eyebrow is indisputable proof of his claim that his helmet saved his
life.

Tony
Old August 22nd 10, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_6_]

"Tony Raving Loony" wrote in message
"Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...urch_teenager/

Or not since he got a grazed eyebrow and when I last checked eyebrows
were still considered to be located on the head. OTOH the grazed
eyebrow is indisputable proof of his claim that his helmet saved his
life.

Do helmets cover eyebrows? I don't think mine does but you are right, the
fact that he had a grazed eyebrow proves nothing. But there is nothing like
personal experience of accidents.

A close friend ended up in hospital for a few days via helicopter after some
dozy driver pulled out on a roundabout without looking properly. My friend
went over the handlebars and his head struck the ground. He is adamant that
he would have been much worse off without the helmet and you would have a
hell of a job convincing him otherwise. I'm inclined to believe him,
especially after he showed me what remained of the helmet.

Old August 22nd 10, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...urch_teenager/

Or not since he got a grazed eyebrow and when I last checked eyebrows
were still considered to be located on the head. OTOH the grazed
eyebrow is indisputable proof of his claim that his helmet saved his
life.

Do helmets cover eyebrows? I don't think mine does but you are right, the
fact that he had a grazed eyebrow proves nothing. But there is nothing like
personal experience of accidents.

I don't think it matters. The British Dental Association think they
protect teeth and jaws. I suspect they believe in the TR&T type of
helmet that prevents injuries to all parts of the body.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/
The usenet price promise: all opinions offered in newsgroups are guaranteed
Old August 23rd 10, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Mr. Benn wrote:
"Tony Raving Loony" wrote in message

Thank you for that ad-hominen. It shows the strength of your argument
that you feel the need to use it.

Or not since he got a grazed eyebrow and when I last checked
eyebrows were still considered to be located on the head. OTOH the
grazed eyebrow is indisputable proof of his claim that his helmet
saved his life.

Do helmets cover eyebrows? I don't think mine does but you are
right, the fact that he had a grazed eyebrow proves nothing. But
there is nothing like personal experience of accidents.

It proves that his helmet did not "save a head injury" as you
characterised it in the Subject line.

A close friend ended up in hospital for a few days via helicopter
after some dozy driver pulled out on a roundabout without looking
properly. My friend went over the handlebars and his head struck the
ground. He is adamant that he would have been much worse off without
the helmet and you would have a hell of a job convincing him
otherwise. I'm inclined to believe him, especially after he showed
me what remained of the helmet.

Don't tell me - it was broken. A broken helmet has failed pure and
simple and not worked as it is designed to do. And whatever your friend
told you, the overwhelming probability is that he wouldn't have been
much worse off. He is one of the many thousands who make that claim
annually yet the statistics say the vast majority of them cannot be true
or the hospitals, morgues and care homes would be full to the brim with
all the cyclists who suffered a brain injury or death because they
weren't wearing a helmet when they had their accidents.

Tony

Old August 23rd 10, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new...un_ruins_summe....

Or not since he got a grazed eyebrow and when I last checked eyebrows
were still considered to be located on the head. *OTOH the grazed
eyebrow is indisputable proof of his claim that his helmet saved his
life.

Do helmets cover eyebrows? *I don't think mine does but you are right, the
fact that he had a grazed eyebrow proves nothing. *But there is nothing like
personal experience of accidents.

I don't think it matters. The British Dental Association think they
protect teeth and jaws. I suspect they believe in the TR&T type of
helmet that prevents injuries to all parts of the body.

The cycling head injury accident I had as a child mainly did damage to
my teeth and upper jawbone, although I was also mildly concussed and
had few cuts and bruises on my scalp. If I had been wearing a cycle
helmet, which hadn't been invented at the time, I suspect that it
would have taken the brunt of the impact of my fall onto a kerbstone
and reduced the severity of my injuries.

Derek C
Old August 23rd 10, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Derek C wrote:

The cycling head injury accident I had as a child mainly did damage to
my teeth and upper jawbone, although I was also mildly concussed and
had few cuts and bruises on my scalp. If I had been wearing a cycle
helmet, which hadn't been invented at the time, I suspect that it
would have taken the brunt of the impact of my fall onto a kerbstone
and reduced the severity of my injuries.

Even though the main point of impact was clearly your teeth and upper
jawbone, neither of which are protected by cycle helmets other than the
full face ones? Curious, you clearly are a believer in TRT and Cook and
Sheikh's belief that helmets are able to project protection as a distance.

I don't think anyone would deny that a helmet can mitigate the minor
cuts and bruises on the parts they cover though if you think its
important to mitigate them.

Tony
Old August 23rd 10, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Aug 23, 12:15*pm, Tony Raven wrote:
Derek C wrote:

[...]

As you don't know exactly the manner in which my head hit the
kerbstone, I can't see how you can say that! A helmet would have
protruded an inch or so outside of my cranium, and would have taken
most of the initial impact.

Derek C
Old August 23rd 10, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike P[_16_]

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 16:43:28 +0000, Tony Raven boggled us with:

"Mrcheerful" wrote:
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/

news/8345400.Hit_and_run_ruins_summer_holidays_for_Chri stchurch_teenager/

Or not since he got a grazed eyebrow and when I last checked eyebrows
were still considered to be located on the head. OTOH the grazed
eyebrow is indisputable proof of his claim that his helmet saved his
life.

Sometimes I wear a helmet. Sometimes I don't.

I fail to see how something a fraction of the cost of my £300 Shoei
motorcycle helmet can provide a similar level of protection - lets face
it, doing 20mph around town on a pushbike isn't that much slower than
30mph on a motorbike.

If helmets provide so much protection, make them better, and make them
the law.

If, however, I suspect they're not that great, don't..

--
Mike P
Old August 23rd 10, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_4_]

Tony Raven" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

"Tony Raving Loony" wrote in message

A close friend ended up in hospital for a few days via helicopter
after some dozy driver pulled out on a roundabout without looking
properly. My friend went over the handlebars and his head struck the
ground. He is adamant that he would have been much worse off without
the helmet and you would have a hell of a job convincing him
otherwise. I'm inclined to believe him, especially after he showed
me what remained of the helmet.

Don't tell me - it was broken. A broken helmet has failed pure and simple
and not worked as it is designed to do.

Is that so?

And whatever your friend told you, the overwhelming probability is that
he wouldn't have been much worse off.

You witnessed the accident did you?

He is one of the many thousands who make that claim annually yet the
statistics say the vast majority of them cannot be true or the hospitals,
morgues and care homes would be full to the brim with all the cyclists who
suffered a brain injury or death because they weren't wearing a helmet
when they had their accidents.

There is nothing better than speaking from personal experience.

Head injury and helmet Brendan Halpin UK 12 March 20th 09 05:22 PM
A heartwarming "helmet saves child" story William Asher Racing 0 October 31st 07 05:56 PM
Helmet saves my head dgk General 7 July 27th 06 02:26 PM
Husband sustains bloody head injury due to bicycling, was not wearing helmet Claire Petersky General 13 June 26th 05 05:35 AM
Helmet saves... Leo Lichtman General 32 November 11th 04 11:00 AM