Kinda off topic - Bicycle Insurance is not a Tech question

Old January 28th 12, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Postman Delivers

Default Kinda off topic - Bicycle Insurance is not a Tech question

I have some protection with my auto-insurance and some coverage with my
Renter-insurance, but the real question does a bicycle insurance exist?

If Bicycl;e insurance exists is the coverage any good/worthwhile?

Something that provides hospital & property damage if I door an idiot
that does not pay attention to his surroundings, and it is determined to
be my fault by a miss informed police investigator (trying to be
polite)...

JR the postman
Old January 28th 12, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jan 28, 12:49*pm, Postman Delivers
wrote:
I have some protection with my auto-insurance and some coverage with my
Renter-insurance, but the real question does a bicycle insurance exist?

If Bicycl;e insurance exists is the coverage any good/worthwhile?

Something that provides hospital & property damage if I door an idiot
that does not pay attention to his surroundings, and it is determined to
be my fault by a miss informed police investigator (trying to be
polite)...

JR the postman

YOUR BIKE RIDING hobby may exist as a factor over at 'your insurers'
as 'my cancer' or 'your cancer' like MY GOOGLE is his Ferrari, for
formulating 'your insurance costs'

I assume bicycling does not accrue credit for lifeor health as in
repair 'my health insurance'

'Your insurer' has several people evaluating wether you wipe with the
left or right and eat with....
Old January 28th 12, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Postman Delivers wrote:
:I have some protection with my auto-insurance and some coverage with my
:Renter-insurance, but the real question does a bicycle insurance exist?

:If Bicycl;e insurance exists is the coverage any good/worthwhile?

:Something that provides hospital & property damage if I door an idiot
:that does not pay attention to his surroundings, and it is determined to
:be my fault by a miss informed police investigator (trying to be
olite)...

In most states, renters and home owner's insurance provide protection
against accidental damage to other people's property, if it's not caused
by something specifically excluded; in others, the language of the
policy matters if bicycling is included. You can also buy an umbrella
liability policy, which would cover excess liability from all your other
insurances, and potentially close gaps. (And might let you reduce the
liability portion of them, which could be a net savings.) Talk to your
insurance agent, details matter a whole lot in insurance. Better, talk
to a couple, including at least one who's an independent agent.

--
sig 74
Old January 28th 12, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Postman Delivers

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:47:48 +0000, David Scheidt wrote:

Postman Delivers wrote:
[...]

* * *
Thanks, reason for my question, I laid my Grocery getter down this
morning swerving out of the bike lane to avoid a opening door.

The driver of the Jag was furious at me, and would not stop his angry
tirade until a few of his friends man handle him. He was twice my size
and could have snapped my neck with one hand tied behind his back.

Next thing I know a not so polite policeman was lecturing me about riding
with better awareness, not bothering to chat with the departing car
owner. Maybe he was a politically connected individual. My arm and leg
will heal, but I have decided I need some financial protection when I am
riding. Yes, I was intimidated by a oversized athletic idiot and a
policeman for riding a bicycle.

JR the postman

Old January 28th 12, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

David Scheidt wrote:
Postman Delivers wrote:
[...]

Good advice but moderation in this and all things. Being a
responsible insured with high liability limits, attorneys
will view you as a target. BTDT.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 28th 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Postman Delivers wrote:
... I laid my Grocery getter down this
morning swerving out of the bike lane to avoid a opening door.

The driver of the Jag was furious at me, and would not stop his angry
tirade until a few of his friends man handle him. He was twice my size
and could have snapped my neck with one hand tied behind his back.

Next thing I know a not so polite policeman was lecturing me about riding
with better awareness, not bothering to chat with the departing car
owner. Maybe he was a politically connected individual. My arm and leg
will heal, but I have decided I need some financial protection when I am
riding. Yes, I was intimidated by a oversized athletic idiot and a
policeman for riding a bicycle.

That's pretty bad.

A) You could check state laws, but I was under the impression that it's
generally illegal to open a car door in front of a bicyclist. The
bicyclist would not be legally at fault, and in fact would have a likely
claim against the motorist, rather than vice versa. That's certainly
happened in other places.

B) It's ridiculous that people are still painting bike lanes in door
zones. Bike lane advocates sometimes claim that designs are getting
better. Accounts like yours tell a different tale.

C) And so, what would it take to get you to avoid riding in the door
zone? You now know that paint stripe won't prevent your getting doored.
Dooring has been fatal, especially because it's very likely to throw
the cyclist toward the center of the road, into the path of motor
vehicles. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TQ7aID1jHs

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 28th 12, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Postman Delivers wrote:

Thanks, reason for my question, I laid my Grocery getter down this
morning swerving out of the bike lane to avoid a opening door.

The driver of the Jag was furious at me, and would not stop his angry
tirade until a few of his friends man handle him. He was twice my size
and could have snapped my neck with one hand tied behind his back.

Next thing I know a not so polite policeman was lecturing me about riding
with better awareness, not bothering to chat with the departing car
owner. *Maybe he was a politically connected individual. *My arm and leg
will heal, but I have decided I need some financial protection when I am
riding.

You need an aggressive personal injury attorney. This is not about
_you_ paying for stuff. Your assailant may be "politically
connected", but his insurer will settle a case such as this to
mitigate costs of further litigation. And then later they'll jack up
his rates or drop his coverage.

The law is on your side here, even if the ignoramus cop isn't.

Chalo

Old January 29th 12, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 28, 11:49 am, Postman Delivers
wrote:
I have some protection with my auto-insurance and some coverage with my
Renter-insurance, but the real question does a bicycle insurance exist?

If Bicycl;e insurance exists is the coverage any good/worthwhile?

Something that provides hospital & property damage if I door an idiot
that does not pay attention to his surroundings, and it is determined to
be my fault by a miss informed police investigator (trying to be
polite)...

http://bikeportland.org/2010/01/05/b...-in-2010-27755

Personally, I don't see the need, but then, I didn't have flood
insurance, either :-(

Old January 29th 12, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Postman Delivers wrote:
[...]

The guy doors you and then goes off on you right where he parks his
Jag? He's gonna get that thing keyed someday.

Old January 29th 12, 11:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
I have some protection with my auto-insurance and some coverage with my
Renter-insurance, but the real question does a bicycle insurance exist?

If Bicycl;e insurance exists is the coverage any good/worthwhile?

Something that provides hospital & property damage if I door an idiot
that does not pay attention to his surroundings, and it is determined to
be my fault by a miss informed police investigator (trying to be
polite)...

http://bikeportland.org/2010/01/05/b...-in-2010-27755

Personally, I don't see the need, but then, I didn't have flood
insurance, either :-(

I've a question. I was under the impression that one had to have
automobile insurance in the U.S..

Cheers

John B.