How 2 Strip Paint from Chrome Front Fork?

Old March 13th 12, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default How 2 Strip Paint from Chrome Front Fork?

Hi there.

I replaced my Columbus SL Miele with the cracked top tube with another
Columbus SL Miele frame that's a different colour. This frame didn't
come with a front fork but that's okay because the other one is in
perfect shape.

When I took the fork off of the other frame I noticed that the fork
was chrome plated at the fork ends and that the chrome plating
extended up to and part way along the steerer tube. This is great *IF*
I can get the lavender paint and the primer off without harming or
discolouring the underlying chrome plating.

I very carefully scraped a bit of the paint and primer off a small
section of the fork. It is definitely bright chrome under the paint
and primer.

I have some Circa 1851 Paint Stripper that has worked very well to
remove paint from frames that I had repainted. Do any of you know for
sure if this Circa 1851 paint stripper would be safe to use to strip
away the paint and primer and not harm or discolour the underlying
chrome?

Otherwise, what would be a good way to strip the paint and primer
without causing any damage or discolouration of the underlying chrome?

Thanks and cheers
Old March 13th 12, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 13, 10:36*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

I replaced my Columbus SL Miele with the cracked top tube with another
Columbus SL Miele frame that's a different colour. This frame didn't
come with a front fork but that's okay because the other one is in
perfect shape.

When I took the fork off of the other frame I noticed that the fork
was chrome plated at the fork ends and that the chrome plating
extended up to and part way along the steerer tube. This is great *IF*
I can get the lavender paint and the primer off without harming or
discolouring the underlying chrome plating.

I very carefully scraped a bit of the paint and primer off a small
section of the fork. It is definitely bright chrome under the paint
and primer.

I have some Circa 1850 Paint Stripper that has worked very well to
remove paint from frames that I had repainted. Do any of you know for
sure if this Circa 1850 paint stripper would be safe to use to strip

Old March 13th 12, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

[...]

Should be Circa 1850 not Circa 1851.

Stripper I have is shown he
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~stripper-fu...850_paint_shop

Thanks and cheers
Old March 13th 12, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:08:54 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Do any of you know for
sure if this Circa 1851 paint stripper would be safe to use to strip
away the paint and primer and not harm or discolour the underlying
chrome?

That's methyl chloride. Nasty stuff. Use gloves and respirator and
use it outdoors.

Stripper I have is shown he
http://www.rona.ca/shop/~stripper-fu...850_paint_shop

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichloromethane
http://www.hvchemical.com/msds/mech.htm
Incompatibilities:
Strong oxidizers, strong caustics, plastics, rubber, nitric acid,
water + heat, and chemically active metals, such as aluminum and
magnesium powder, sodium, potassium, and lithium. Avoid contact
with open flames and electrical arcs. Liquid methylene chloride
will attack some forms of plastics, rubber, and coatings.

The stuff will react with some stainless steels, copper, nickel,
aluminum, and probably some other metals. The mechanism is that if
the methyl chloride is dilluted with water, it will form hydrochloric
acid, which then attacks the steel. I don't think it will tarnish
chrome plating (not sure), but might attack the underlying copper
plating. The best way to be sure is to try it on some junk parts.

If your chrome forks are covered with an acrylic plastic coating to
prevent corrosion, the methyl chloride will destroy the coating.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old March 13th 12, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/13/2012 12:08 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 10:36 am, Sir wrote:
[...]

From what I know, strippers are either solvent or caustic. Any kind of
solvent based should be OK, caustic maybe not.
Old March 13th 12, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

No need to strip, which brigs in chrome prep issues.

Wash it well, solvent rinse, wet sand, then shoot
primer-sealer, wetsand followed by your color right over
that finish.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 13th 12, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 13, 2:12*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Hi Andrew.

I *WANT TO STRIP THE PAINT AND PRIMER SO THAT THE CHROME IS VISIBLE
AND LEAVE THE FORKS WITH THE CHROME FINISH* insteadof buying a new
chrome plated fork. I do not intend to paint this fork.

Thanks and cheers
Old March 13th 12, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:12 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Oh, sorry.

In that case, yes, methylated strippers work much better.
*NB - Anything effective is quite painful to skin or eyes.*

After stripping, wash well with soap or detergent, rinse
well and then a chrome polish which includes a wax.

Old March 13th 12, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Mar 13, 2:43*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:12 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Hi Andrew and the otherswho took the time to help me with this.

Thanks very much. The weather here has turned very mild and I'll strip
the paint off tomorrow. I'll be very sure to give the stripped forks a
complete rinse to remove any stripper residue.

You people are super and your helpfull advice is greatly appreciated
by me.

Cheers
Old March 13th 12, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Mar 13, 1:56*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:43*pm, AMuzi wrote:

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Mar 13, 2:12 pm, AMuzi wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

In the past, I've had much better luck stripping Dupont Imron off bike
frames by using aerosol "aircraft stripper" from the auto parts store
than by using gel brush-on paint stripper from the hardware store.

And like everyone else says, don't get it on you. I'll add that you
should have a supply of fresh water ready to go in case you do get
some on you.

Chalo