Landrover

Old March 21st 05, 01:39 AM
Darrell Ybarrondo

Default Landrover

I was wondering what the group thinks of the Landrover bicycle? I have a
Giant Boulder mountain bike and was just curious after seeing a infomercial
for the Landrover. I thought it sounded interesting.

Old March 21st 05, 08:51 PM
maxo

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:39:00 -0800, Darrell Ybarrondo wrote:

infomercial for the Landrover

did they serve Kool-Aide?

Seriously looking at the specs on-line, it looks to be somewhere between a
Costco bike and a entry level Trek.

Don't be taken with the branding, it's nothing special.

Old March 22nd 05, 02:20 AM
Darrell Ybarrondo

I am sorry, I meant to say landrider not landrover. The landrider has an
automatic gear shift and it sounded interesting. And I wondered what the
group thought of it.

Old March 22nd 05, 04:40 AM
maxo

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:20:17 -0800, Darrell Ybarrondo wrote:

I am sorry, I meant to say landrider not landrover. The landrider has an
automatic gear shift and it sounded interesting. And I wondered what the
group thought of it.

"Darrell Ybarrondo" wrote in message
I was wondering what the group thinks of the Landrover bicycle? I have a
Giant Boulder mountain bike and was just curious after seeing a
infomercial for the Landrover. I thought it sounded interesting.

It's an interesting idea in theory, but the bike's spec isn't that great
and in reality it's a very poor choice.

I'm assuming that you want simplified shifting in today's world of
complex gearing systems?

What you need is an internally geared bike, with the gears in the hub.
That way you get 7-8 perfectly spaced usable gears and no headaches trying
to figure out which gear to choose.

Might I suggest the Bianchi Milano, the REI Fusion, or any of the Breezer
models.

The Landrider's a gimmick--it's a gimmick taking advantage of the fact
that you don't see regular practical bikes very often like in
Europe--ones with simple zero maintenance internal gearing.

You're perfectly capable of clicking up or down yourself depending on
whether it's easy or hard to pedal--no having to choose chainring combos
with an internal hub, just "harder" or "easier".

The Landrider still depends on an external derailleur--something that's
going to get bent, broken and worse yet--require cleaning with a
toothbrush. With the internal hub--as long as the chain turns, the bike
will shift smoothly. All the mechanical stuff is triple sealed away like
a car or motorcycle transmission. Lube the chain every few months if you
feel like it, or do like the Europeans, let it rust away and replace it
when it snaps from corrosion.
:P

Damn, I'm starting to sound like Sheldon. LOL