Shimano 9 and 10 Casette/Hub Compatibility

Old June 20th 09, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil H

Default Shimano 9 and 10 Casette/Hub Compatibility

OK, I did try looking through the archives but I need to check the
bottom line. I have a 9 speed hub, I believe I can put a 10 speed
casette on it but if it has an 11 t cog it needs a 1 mm spacer.
I don't have an 11 t cog so I don't need a spacer and everything
should work..........yes?

Also, will a 10 speed chain work on 9 speed casette? I'm using bar end
shifters in friction mode if there is a problem with using a 10 speed
index shifter on a 9 speed........over.

Thanks

Phil H
Old June 20th 09, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Jun 19, 8:54*pm, Phil H wrote:
OK, I did try looking through the archives but I need to check the
bottom line. I have a 9 speed hub, I believe I can put a 10 speed
casette on it but if it has an 11 t cog it needs a 1 mm spacer.
I don't have an 11 t cog so I don't need a spacer and everything
should work..........yes?

Also, will a 10 speed chain work on 9 speed casette? I'm using bar end
shifters in friction mode if there is a problem with using a 10 speed
index shifter on a 9 speed........over.

Thanks

Phil H

With shiamno 10s cogsets onto any shimano 'HG' compatible freehub(8s
or 9s) you must use the supplied with the cogset 1mm spacer,
regardless of whether or not it starts with an 11s or not.

The best chain t use with a 9s cogset is a 9s chain. If both friction,
you can use a 9s or 10s chain, but the 9s is cheaper. Cannot get a 10s
shifter to shift 9s spacing.
Old June 20th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil H

On Jun 20, 5:35*am, "P. Chisholm" wrote:
On Jun 19, 8:54*pm, Phil H wrote:

OK, I did try looking through the archives but I need to check the
bottom line. I have a 9 speed hub, I believe I can put a 10 speed
casette on it but if it has an 11 t cog it needs a 1 mm spacer.
I don't have an 11 t cog so I don't need a spacer and everything
should work..........yes?

Also, will a 10 speed chain work on 9 speed casette? I'm using bar end
shifters in friction mode if there is a problem with using a 10 speed
index shifter on a 9 speed........over.

Thanks

Phil H

With shiamno 10s cogsets onto any shimano 'HG' compatible freehub(8s
or 9s) you must use the supplied with the cogset 1mm spacer,
regardless of whether or not it starts with an 11s or not.

Thanks for the info Peter. One last thing........is the 1 mm 10 sp
casette spacer used on the 10 sp hub?

Phil H
Old June 21st 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Jun 19, 8:54*pm, Phil H wrote:

[...]

Not required on DA hubs and wheels and some Ultegra wheels. Required
on Ultegra and on down hubs.
Old June 22nd 09, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
NeauDL

I've had no trouble with 10-speed chains on Ultegra 9 or XT cassettes--
perfect rear shifting. However, I couldn't get a 10-speed chain to
shift properly on Ultegra 9 triple chainrings with Ultegra 9 front
derailleur, and had to switch to Campy shifters and front derailleur
when I started using Rotor Q rings on an Ultegra 9 bike set up with an
XTR rear derailleur to get lower than usual gears. Q rings are
another issue--my point here is that I think the rear shifting has
been just as good with the 10-speed chain as it was with the 9-speed.
Old June 22nd 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

NeauDL wrote:
I've had no trouble with 10-speed chains on Ultegra 9 or XT cassettes--
perfect rear shifting. However, I couldn't get a 10-speed chain to
shift properly on Ultegra 9 triple chainrings with Ultegra 9 front
derailleur, and had to switch to Campy shifters and front derailleur
when I started using Rotor Q rings on an Ultegra 9 bike set up with an
XTR rear derailleur to get lower than usual gears. Q rings are
another issue--my point here is that I think the rear shifting has
been just as good with the 10-speed chain as it was with the 9-speed.

Since nine chain is cheaper than ten chain, what is the
advantage if shifting is merely "just as good" ?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/