I miss Jobst

Old April 10th 11, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cicero Venatio

Default I miss Jobst

He was the last of the "scientists" on rbt. Never had an MA-2 but I
sure have had good luck with Open Pros for the last 8 years. I have 4
sets of them and they have been as bomb-proof as can be expected for 32
spoke wheels. Of course, I started on boutique wheels, so when I found
my way to Open Pros they seemed like heaven compared to what I had
before. I'm not a wheel guy, so I don't want to screw with them, and
the OP's seemed like the perfect wheel for me. I'm sure there were
other OP like wheels out there, but once I found something that works I
stopped looking. I did have a couple sets of MA-3's that were not so
good, as I had some cracking at the spoke holes, so those were kind of
crappy, a little heavy and not durable.
Old April 10th 11, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

I heard JB bought a Moulton
Old April 10th 11, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On Apr 10, 12:23*pm, Cicero Venatio wrote:
He was the last of the "scientists" on rbt. *Never had an MA-2 but I
sure have had good luck with Open Pros for the last 8 years. *I have 4
sets of them and they have been as bomb-proof as can be expected for 32
spoke wheels. *Of course, I started on boutique wheels, so when I found
my way to Open Pros they seemed like heaven compared to what I had
before. *I'm not a wheel guy, so I don't want to screw with them, and
the OP's seemed like the perfect wheel for me. *I'm sure there were
other OP like wheels out there, but once I found something that works I
stopped looking. *I did have a couple sets of MA-3's that were not so
good, as I had some cracking at the spoke holes, so those were kind of
crappy, a little heavy and not durable.

Jeez, don't let it out that you ride over priced European enriched
with voodoo rims. Some here don't think they're worth it.

Personally, I've been quite happy with Open Pros, the only improvement
being the ceramic brake surface treatment. They never wear. My front
has done about 100,000km so far (about 10 years).

JS.
Old April 10th 11, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

James wrote:

Personally, I've been quite happy with Open Pros, the only improvement
being the ceramic brake surface treatment. *They never wear. *My front
has done about 100,000km so far (about 10 years).

I understand they work well for lithe young girls and Sunday tweed
rides.

I can buy four rims that will survive a beating for the same price as
one of those, though.

Still waiting for the yet more expensive "Mavic Open Masters 50 And
Over".

Chalo
Old April 10th 11, 10:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Apr 10, 7:50*am, Chalo wrote:
James wrote:

Personally, I've been quite happy with Open Pros, the only improvement
being the ceramic brake surface treatment. *They never wear. *My front
has done about 100,000km so far (about 10 years).

I understand they work well for lithe young girls and Sunday tweed
rides.

I can buy four rims that will survive a beating for the same price as
one of those, though.

The high price is part of the sell. Some people feel better for
spending what they feel is an appropriate amount for the product.
They feel they will be faster, fresher and safer. It doesn't matter
that as sooon as they hit 30mph they hit the brakes, they want to buy
the dream of riding the front of the peleton in the Tour de Farce.
Mavic is the dream for they have been in all the TV coverage since the
70's.

Whatever deal Mavic made with TdF, it was a damn good one.

Old April 10th 11, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/10/2011 12:28 AM, James wrote:
On Apr 10, 12:23 pm, Cicero wrote:
He was the last of the "scientists" on rbt. Never had an MA-2 but I
sure have had good luck with Open Pros for the last 8 years. I have 4
sets of them and they have been as bomb-proof as can be expected for 32
spoke wheels. Of course, I started on boutique wheels, so when I found
my way to Open Pros they seemed like heaven compared to what I had
before. I'm not a wheel guy, so I don't want to screw with them, and
the OP's seemed like the perfect wheel for me. I'm sure there were
other OP like wheels out there, but once I found something that works I
stopped looking. I did have a couple sets of MA-3's that were not so
good, as I had some cracking at the spoke holes, so those were kind of
crappy, a little heavy and not durable.

Jeez, don't let it out that you ride over priced European enriched
with voodoo rims. Some here don't think they're worth it.[...]

Just how much is European Heritage & Mystique™ worth to you?

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 10th 11, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 4/10/2011 4:46 AM, thirty-six aka Trevor Jeffrey wrote:
The high price is part of the sell. Some people feel better for
spending what they feel is an appropriate amount for the product.
They feel they will be faster, fresher and safer. It doesn't matter
that as sooon as they hit 30mph they hit the brakes, they want to buy
the dream of riding the front of the peleton in the Tour de Farce.[...]

Back when he was racing, Fabrizio Mazzoleni dominated the Tour de Farce.

Old April 10th 11, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Apr 10, 1:50*am, Chalo wrote:
James wrote:

Personally, I've been quite happy with Open Pros, the only improvement
being the ceramic brake surface treatment. *They never wear. *My front
has done about 100,000km so far (about 10 years).

I understand they work well for lithe young girls and Sunday tweed
rides.

I can buy four rims that will survive a beating for the same price as
one of those, though.

Still waiting for the yet more expensive "Mavic Open Masters 50 And
Over".

Chalo

met a very large cycle deputy outside the library but blew the
interveiew as I was headed in for IRS Forms.
Old April 10th 11, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 10, 5:46 am, thirty-six wrote:

The high price is part of the sell. Some people feel better for
spending what they feel is an appropriate amount for the product.
They feel they will be faster, fresher and safer.

Some years ago, I was giving a tour of our industrial robotics
laboratory to some high school students. Hoping to make a point about
the cost benefits of factory automation, I asked "If you could buy two
cell phones that were exactly identical but one was less expensive,
you'd buy that one, right?"

One girl adamantly said "No, I'd buy the more expensive one. It would
be better."

I said "No, I'm talking about identical phones. The only difference
would be the price."

"I'd buy the more expensive one. More expensive things are always
better."

She's probably still a marketer's dream. (I wonder if she rides a
bike?)

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 10th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 10, 11:59 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

When you buy something, you're not just paying for the product.

Jobst Phil H Techniques 83 July 13th 11 12:53 AM
Jobst- we mightl never know Cicero Venatio Racing 8 February 12th 11 09:23 AM
When Jobst ... Steve Freides[_2_] Techniques 1 January 20th 11 10:28 PM
Jobst Brad Anders Racing 20 January 19th 11 06:31 PM
Jobst TriGuru55x11 Rides 1 January 19th 11 02:13 PM