Bracelets for Bike Lanes?

Old March 20th 05, 04:22 AM
Mathias Koerber

Default Bracelets for Bike Lanes?

donquijote1954 said the following on 20/3/2005 9:35:
'"The Lance Armstrong Foundation and Nike are raising funds for
youth-cancer support groups, research, and education by selling $1
yellow rubber bracelets etched with the phrase 'LIVE STRONG,'" Michelle
Milford, spokesperson for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, said in an
e-mail interview.'
http://www.winchesterstar.com/TheWi.../Life_bands.asp

Giordano (a regional clothing chain here in Asia, apparently HQd in
HongKong and comparable to Benetton) had an ad in yesterday's Straits
Times with multi-coloured bands much alike to the Livestrong bands
carrying inscriptions of 'peace', 'love', etc. Have not seen the bands
in th actual stored, so I can't positively say whether they were just
used for the ad or they are actually selling them.
Old March 20th 05, 05:32 AM
Steve Knight

He may as well have launched a band for the millions of Americans
who--like me--can't go out and enjoy a bicycle ride around the
neighborhood. His remains an elitist sport, not something kids in
America can enjoy to school. Perhaps a model for cancer patients, but
not for the average kid, who needs BIKE LANES to go to school safely.
That band remains to be launched...

what do bike lanes have to do with anything? it is laisyness that needs to be
cured. no use having bike lanes if everyone is a couch potato. we need potato
slow lanes (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old March 20th 05, 07:25 AM
Bill H.

donquijote1954 wrote:

Obviously it got to do with SAFETY. Would you push an 11 year old

child
with a bike into the mean streets of America? Sounds to me like
throwing a sardine into a tank full of sharks.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but when I was about nine or so I
started riding a bike to school just about every day, as long as it
wasn't snowy or raining. And yes, this was on the "mean streets" of
America. I wasn't kidnapped or hit by a car, either.

If you're paranoid about your kid getting hit by a car, is a bicycle
lane really going to keep you from worrying? I think bicycle lanes are
a nice amenity, but hardly a requirement to prevent accidents. Proper
riding instruction, the use of hand signals, and always wearing a
helmet will go a lot further to keep a bicyclist safe.

-Bill H.

Old March 20th 05, 07:26 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:

Just what we need, a cross-posted h*lm*t flame war!

I guess it's a way to get even for the Jesus/abortion thing.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 20th 05, 08:51 AM
Zoot Katz

19 Mar 2005 22:21:21 -0800,
.com,
"donquijote1954" quoted, in part:
\cut,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,alt.p lanning.urban

\snip

Jackson says that the tours have two purposes. "First, to show them
that bike lanes work. Second, to get them to think about bike lanes in
their design work."

Bike lanes suck, especially when they _END_ on a gravel shoulder with
the only warning being a notice of same painted on said lane 5 meters
before said eventuality.
--
zk
Old March 20th 05, 02:09 PM
Tom Sherman

Zoot Katz wrote:

19 Mar 2005 22:21:21 -0800,
.com,
"donquijote1954" quoted, in part:
\cut,rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides,alt.p lanning.urban

\snip

Jackson says that the tours have two purposes. "First, to show them
that bike lanes work. Second, to get them to think about bike lanes in
their design work."

Bike lanes suck, especially when they _END_ on a gravel shoulder with
the only warning being a notice of same painted on said lane 5 meters
before said eventuality.

I would rather have an extra 2-meters/6-feet (unmarked) added to the
outside lane (right lane for all but the Commonwealth island nations and
Japan) than a bike lane. The outside lane should also be regularly
traversed by a Pelican [1] or similar creature.

[1] http://www.elginsweeper.com/pelican/index.asp.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 20th 05, 02:16 PM
Tom Sherman

Bill H. wrote:

donquijote1954 wrote:

Obviously it got to do with SAFETY. Would you push an 11 year old

child

with a bike into the mean streets of America? Sounds to me like
throwing a sardine into a tank full of sharks.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but when I was about nine or so I
started riding a bike to school just about every day, as long as it
wasn't snowy or raining. And yes, this was on the "mean streets" of
America. I wasn't kidnapped or hit by a car, either....

I rode my Peugeot P-8 to school every day during junior high school, and
this was in Wisconsin where it did get cold and snow quite a bit in the
winter. That bike rode and handled very well, especially considering it
was about the least expensive "LBS quality" bike available at the time.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 20th 05, 02:22 PM
Tom Sherman

donquijote1954 wrote:

[Snip rec.bicycles.racing and text]

Why was this cross-posted to rec.bicycles.racing? That group is mostly
interested in personal flames.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 21st 05, 04:35 AM
MikeK

Tom Sherman wrote in
:

Bill H. wrote:

donquijote1954 wrote:

Obviously it got to do with SAFETY. Would you push an 11 year old

child

with a bike into the mean streets of America? Sounds to me like
throwing a sardine into a tank full of sharks.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but when I was about nine or so
I started riding a bike to school just about every day, as long as it
wasn't snowy or raining. And yes, this was on the "mean streets" of
America. I wasn't kidnapped or hit by a car, either....

I rode my Peugeot P-8 to school every day during junior high school,
and this was in Wisconsin where it did get cold and snow quite a bit
in the winter. That bike rode and handled very well, especially
considering it was about the least expensive "LBS quality" bike
available at the time.

I never rode my bike to school (this was in the 60s), but I often rode
it out of our subdivision, along a US highway, across a bridge into town
and over to the library, where I would stay half the day until my mom
called the library to make sure I was there. I was prolly about 10. Now
I'm afraid to let my teen daughters ride around through the small town
we live in. Why am I paranoid?

I think it's partly that there truly is more traffic on the roads now
than there used to be, and proportionally there are more idiot drivers
out there. There are more kids behind the wheel than there used to be. I
don't think this country (the US) does enough to maintain the proper
level of competence in drivers. Once you get your license you pretty
much have it for life.

If driver training included something about sharing the road; if
maintaining a driver's license included a mandatory behind-the-wheel
re-test every 10 or 15 years; if traffic enforcement concentrated more
on encouraging proper motoring and less on traffic citations (and
revenue and statistics) - then I'd worry less about my kids biking.

Left Turn Lanes - split lanes or wait behing in the line ?? Ravi General 11 November 3rd 04 11:11 PM
London cycle lanes to be enforced Richard Bates UK 28 August 9th 04 01:52 PM
ASLs and cycle lanes John Hearns UK 31 July 20th 04 10:38 AM
coloured cycle lanes james UK 45 July 20th 04 12:02 AM
The _Observer_ on "deadly" bike lanes bikerider7 UK 141 May 31st 04 04:05 PM