oops!

Old July 22nd 03, 10:57 PM
Zoot Katz

Default oops!

Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:57:26 -0500,
, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:33:03 GMT, (Pete Hickey)
from Rarely. wrote:

In article ,
Zoot Katz wrote:

It supposedly takes about two weeks of daily practice before one
succeeds in even riding these things. I believe it.

My kids picked it up in about 2 days. It took me a good week.

So it's a center of mass thing? Keep it low?

Having thus far succeeded in making only one and a half crank
revolutions without dabbing, I couldn't say.

Unicycle hockey is huge in Germany and there's a unicycle polo team in
New Orleans. (I don't know if it's the fanciful beach ball and French
loaf variety or something played with mallets) Basketball is another
game for unicyclists.
--
zk
Old July 23rd 03, 05:01 AM
Mike Kruger

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message

Unicycle hockey is huge in Germany

This is on the same order as Dick Ryan's statement that recumbents were
taking over in Wisconsin.

Germany is a big country, and I find it quite credible that there are twelve
people in the whole of Germany who would be playing unicycle hockey, but
"huge"?

But, being a thorough researcher, I typed "unicycle hockey" into Google.
Sure enough, the first four entries are from Germany, including the
International Unicycle Hockey Association.
http://dionysos.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~sander/uni/
This lists 38 teams in Germany -- not huge but at least not nonexistent.

Old July 23rd 03, 05:12 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 04:01:03 GMT,
m,
"Mike Kruger" wrote:

But, being a thorough researcher, I typed "unicycle hockey" into Google.
Sure enough, the first four entries are from Germany, including the
International Unicycle Hockey Association.
http://dionysos.mpch-mainz.mpg.de/~sander/uni/
This lists 38 teams in Germany -- not huge but at least not nonexistent.

I'll admit unicycle hockey isn't likely to become an Olympic event any
time soon.

I think it's huge compared to the other counties' listings of teams.
There's a total of ten players in Japan and 15 in Canada and France.
--
zk
Old July 25th 03, 10:27 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Tom Keats) writes:
In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

It supposedly takes about two weeks of daily practice before one
succeeds in even riding these things. I believe it.

Chris Holm makes it look soooo easy g

Here's a site that has some of those video clips I was
talking about:

http://unicycleukcom.site.securepod.com/video.asp

They're freebie previews to some of his videos.

The clips are pretty big for downloading over a dialup
connection, though.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 27th 03, 11:45 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

Hmm, I wonder if he was one of the guys at the Brockton Point races
when I was doing dino.

Maybe. If so, you might've lost an opportunity to score an
autograph or other priceless memorabilium.

The local unicyle club was doing demonstrations

There's a local unicycle club?!!? Kewl!

in the parking lot. Some people there wanted pictures of a dino on a
unicycle so they held me up while somebody else snapped some shots.

I used to chum around with a son of Polish immigrants who lived
down the street from me; his kid brother got a paper route and
did it on a unicycle. He got a write-up and pic in the Vancouver
Sun about it. He could nonchalantly fling a rolled-up newspaper
and bash in the mesh on your screen door without even thinking
about dismounting, and then pedal on to the next screen door
victim, and do the same. At least we knew when our newspapers
arrived.

So, it's not only possible to ride a unicycle -- it's also
possible to fling inside sliders from one as well.

cheers,
Tom