Riding whilst holding onto seat

Old March 15th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Riding whilst holding onto seat

I've been trying to practice holding onto the seat while I ride for off
road stuff but am finding it difficult to balance without using both
arms.

Will this come with practice and I become less balancly challanged? Or
is there some kind of knack to it?

Thanks.

Cath

--
cathwood

Say no to unicycle genre discrimination! - MrBoogiejuice

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old March 15th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

try to start by putting one hand down by your side and then move it up
to the handle soon you will be able to cross your arms while you ride

--
JUNGAUNI
JUNGAUNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11801

Old March 15th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Thanks.

Cathy

Old March 15th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

patience + persistence + practice = PERSEVERANCE!
You'll get it!!

--
red_rider

ONE DAY AT A TIME!
red_rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11841

Old March 15th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

red_rider wrote:
patience + persistence + practice = PERSEVERANCE!

-calculator breaks-

--
monkeyman

unijesse wrote:
im too lazy to be lazy i gess

'just' (http://oldeenglish.org/gymclass.html) about the coolest thing
I've ever seen
I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

Old March 15th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

basically practise just recetally i had 2 learn how 2 turn sharply while
holding a sign the more you do it the easier it will get trust me

--
dorfman

my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
my myspace
http://tinyurl.com/s6dct
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

Old March 15th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I used to rely on my arms, but now i can just hold my hands in my pocket
in the fornt of my sweater i wear and keep my balance fine, and i never
ment to be able to not have to move my arms to keep balance, it just
happened.

So just keep riding, itll come to you and youll get use to it without
even noticing =p

--
Jerrick

What would you do to me if i was passed out on your bed? o.0

Old March 16th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Practicing riding with both hands holding onto the back of the seat, or
just behind you, will help you get used to using your body and leg
movements for balance. Riding sif also is harder because the extra side
to side movement of pedaling is reduced by the seat when it's in, so it
will naturally be harder and once again, as others have said on here,
practice and perseverance are the biggies.

--
madmattunipro

Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving in a
pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
used up, totally worn out, and loudly declaring, "WOW what a ride!"
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

Old March 16th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

cathwood wrote:
I've been trying to practice holding onto the seat while I ride for off
road stuff but am finding it difficult to balance without using both
arms.

Will this come with practice and I become less balancly challanged? Or
is there some kind of knack to it?

Thanks.

Cath

I went through a short bout of the same thing when riding offroad, it
just sort of came naturally to me after a while. I also quickly learned
that when I gave up a bit of extra balance from two arms to hold onto
the seat when I Muni'd, I could increase my amount of balance two-fold
and also, for some reason, pedal much faster.

--
dudewithasock

'My Unicycling Journal'
officially ended.

'MR - Reply 40,000' (http://tinyurl.com/dwwy5)
I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
dudewithasock's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10900

Old March 16th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

dudewithasock wrote:
I could increase my amount of balance two-fold and also, *for some
reason, pedal much faster*.

It because, while holding onto the seat, you pull your body onto the
seat, thereby allowing faster pedaling, because the pedaling motion
won't rocket you off the seat

--
monkeyman

unijesse wrote:
im too lazy to be lazy i gess

cathwood wrote:
employmentability

'just' (http://oldeenglish.org/gymclass.html) about the coolest thing
I've ever seen
I am an MRian prophet, follower of 768
monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Front-Mounted infant bike seat? Robert K General 31 March 8th 06 12:46 AM
public perception of seat holding onewheeldave Unicycling 23 February 4th 04 12:05 AM
Seat comparisons Mikefule Unicycling 15 August 25th 03 07:53 AM
Is seat suspension enough? optimistx Recumbent Biking 6 August 19th 03 01:03 AM