Hope on the traffic horizon...

Old July 3rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Hope on the traffic horizon...

*(http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...l-we-could-liv
e-with/2006/07/02/1151778811722.html)

or

**http://tinyurl.com/k48ct

What a great idea...

####

**A city toll we'd be willing to live with*

Anne Davies State Political Editor
July 3, 2006

SYDNEY residents would accept a congestion tax in the central
business district if they thought it would allow them to reclaim the
city from cars, secret research by the Roads and Traffic Authority has
found.

The 117-page report, code-named "Project London", reveals since 2000
the RTA has found some enthusiasm for congestion tolling, similar to a
system used in London. The City of London levies a tax of £8 ($20) a
day on every vehicle entering the CBD.

Documents obtained by the -Herald- after a freedom-of-information
request show that the RTA was studying the options in detail, at least
until 2003. In 2000, it commissioned research on attitudes to a range
of options, including peak and off-peak tolls on the Harbour Bridge,
peak-hour tolls for solo drivers, and a full congestion tax, payable by
any motorist entering the city.

The researchers found the congestion tax was likely to be the most
acceptable.

"The key hook in achieving support for [this option] is that it
offers something of high emotional value to the public - the City of
Sydney. The scenario provides an incentive to strike a high-quality
tone for Sydney. Its perceived benefit is freedom to enjoy a
people-friendly liveable, healthier city environment," the researchers
wrote.

In 2003 the RTA's director of transport and traffic, Chris Ford,
prepared a memo for his then boss, Paul Forward, canvassing the idea
again after London introduced its system in February of that year.

But despite the research suggesting motorists would put aside
reservations to consider the option, the Iemma Government said it was
not on the table today. The research was six years old, and did not
amount to a ringing public endorsement of a congestion tax, the Roads
Minister, Eric Roozendaal, said yesterday.

"The NSW Government has repeatedly ruled out the idea of a congestion
tax … I don't want to see one and, according to this research, neither
do the people of Sydney."

--
scotty72

Old July 3rd 06, 12:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

scotty72 wrote:
*(http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...l-we-could-liv
e-with/2006/07/02/1151778811722.html)

[snip]

"The NSW Government has repeatedly ruled out the idea of a congestion
tax ... I don't want to see one and, according to this research, neither
do the people of Sydney."

--
scotty72

Which part of "repeatedly rules out" gives you the most hope ?

Don't get me wrong, I think this would be great. I just wouldn't hold
my breath for it.

Old July 3rd 06, 12:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

scotty72 Wrote:
*(http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...-we-could-liv*
*e-with/2006/07/02/1151778811722.html)*

*or *

*http://tinyurl.com/k48ct*

*What a great idea...*

*####*

*A city toll we'd be willing to live with*

chomp....

"The NSW Government has repeatedly ruled out the idea of a congestion
tax … I don't want to see one and, according to this research, neither
do the people of Sydney."Cross City Tunnel Contract precludes premptory action by the State Govt

if it in anyway reduces potential revenue to CTT, and leaves the Govt
open to compensatory damages to CTT Inc. ( even though its meant to be
cross city, it feeds in and out too, so Iemma is in a dilemna...oops

Says a lot about Sidderley tho!!

--
rooman

Old July 3rd 06, 08:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Sounds like an idea _as long as_ you can get from outside one side of
the city to the other. At the moment, that can't be easily done without
going through yet another toll road (or two).