max heart-rate

Old July 17th 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

Default max heart-rate

Anyone know if it's dangerous to be pushing up near your (theoretical)
max HR when cycling?
I've always felt that you're body would give you feedback when your
pushing too hard, and seriously discourage you from carrying on.

Friday I tried a hill on the fixie that is hard enough on a geared
bike, and about 1/2 way, I had to gave up - I was running at 97%
according to the watch. I didn't suffer any bad effects, pushed the
bike to the top and carried on with the ride.

Old July 17th 06, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bryan

sothach Wrote:
Anyone know if it's dangerous to be pushing up near your (theoretical)
max HR when cycling?
I've always felt that you're body would give you feedback when your
pushing too hard, and seriously discourage you from carrying on.

Friday I tried a hill on the fixie that is hard enough on a geared
bike, and about 1/2 way, I had to gave up - I was running at 97%
according to the watch. I didn't suffer any bad effects, pushed the
bike to the top and carried on with the ride.

Seemed like you got teh feedback you wanted :-)

Working up to your 'theoretical' max can only be done for short
periods, what tends to happen is that the if you keep training at that
high level is that teh oxygen uptake, and lactic acid tollerance will
increase, thus it gradually becomes harder for you to reach the max
unless you increase the effort, as you become fitter.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old July 17th 06, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

sothach wrote on 17/07/2006 14:40 +0100:
Anyone know if it's dangerous to be pushing up near your (theoretical)
max HR when cycling?
I've always felt that you're body would give you feedback when your
pushing too hard, and seriously discourage you from carrying on.

Friday I tried a hill on the fixie that is hard enough on a geared
bike, and about 1/2 way, I had to gave up - I was running at 97%
according to the watch. I didn't suffer any bad effects, pushed the
bike to the top and carried on with the ride.

How did you find your MHR to start with? If it was the old (220 - age)
you've started with a useless figure anyway. Under that rule I'm still
20 ;-)

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old July 17th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

Tony Raven wrote:
sothach wrote on 17/07/2006 14:40 +0100:
Anyone know if it's dangerous to be pushing up near your (theoretical)
max HR when cycling?
I've always felt that you're body would give you feedback when your
pushing too hard, and seriously discourage you from carrying on.

Friday I tried a hill on the fixie that is hard enough on a geared
bike, and about 1/2 way, I had to gave up - I was running at 97%
according to the watch. I didn't suffer any bad effects, pushed the
bike to the top and carried on with the ride.

How did you find your MHR to start with? If it was the old (220 - age)
you've started with a useless figure anyway. Under that rule I'm still
20 ;-)

Na, it was the ol' MHR=217 - (0.85 × Age) chestnut, which gives me 178
- I know its fairly dodgy, that why I was wondering how much (more) I
should push it.

I guess my questions is, can I blow a gasket or does a governor kick-in
before that? I gonna do that hill, I swear it... .

Old July 17th 06, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

Bryan wrote:
sothach Wrote:

Seemed like you got teh feedback you wanted :-)

I wimped out, could have gone another 3% I'm sure, but when I saw the
the numbers, I thought, like, dude, you're dead!

Working up to your 'theoretical' max can only be done for short
periods, what tends to happen is that the if you keep training at that
high level is that teh oxygen uptake, and lactic acid tollerance will
increase, thus it gradually becomes harder for you to reach the max
unless you increase the effort, as you become fitter.

So if I keep attacking this hill, the HR needed will drop?

Old July 17th 06, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bryan

sothach Wrote:
Bryan wrote:
sothach Wrote:

Seemed like you got teh feedback you wanted :-)

I wimped out, could have gone another 3% I'm sure, but when I saw the
the numbers, I thought, like, dude, you're dead!

Working up to your 'theoretical' max can only be done for short
periods, what tends to happen is that the if you keep training at

that
high level is that teh oxygen uptake, and lactic acid tollerance

will
increase, thus it gradually becomes harder for you to reach the max
unless you increase the effort, as you become fitter.

So if I keep attacking this hill, the HR needed will drop?

Yup, well that's the theory anyway. and of course up to a point.
Pro-cyclists will ride for periods at about 185, but have a resting
rate of around 40, so are thus putting in loads of effort, should you
try and put achieve the same power/speed, you're (current untrained) HR
would be 200 :-), Hence training lowers your resting pulse rate as your
ability to process oxygen increases and so does your tolerance to lactic
acid (for anaerobic exercise).

As for findind your actuall max, it really makes you knackered, find a
hill, cycle up it as fast as possible, roll down, and repeat abotu 5
times, when you fall of teh bike for the last time, that's about as
close to your max as your goign to get. My max using formulae comes
out at about 190, but I've been running and got it over 200 (for a
short period) :-)

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old July 17th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

sothach wrote on 17/07/2006 15:41 +0100:

Na, it was the ol' MHR=217 - (0.85 × Age) chestnut, which gives me 178
- I know its fairly dodgy, that why I was wondering how much (more) I
should push it.

I guess my questions is, can I blow a gasket or does a governor kick-in
before that? I gonna do that hill, I swear it... .

I manage 30 above the figure your formula would give on the hills. If
you are unfit and getting back into cycling then I would be very wary of
running high heart rates but as you get fitter it should not be a
problem. Formula 1 drivers can run at over 200 for most of the race.

Best advice is forget the heart rate monitor unless you are doing
specific training that needs it and listen to your body instead. It will
tell you all you need to know.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old July 17th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon L

I guess my questions is, can I blow a gasket or does a governor kick-in
before that? I gonna do that hill, I swear it... .

I'm no doctor, so I offer no warranty... my understanding was that, if
you're used to exercise, going flat out isn't going to damage anything
(I'm quoting the instructions from my cheapo hrm for establishing one's
peak heart rate). As Brian suggested, you'll soon stop anyway.

Old July 17th 06, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sniper8052(L96A1)

Bryan wrote:

Pro-cyclists will ride for periods at about 185, but have a resting
rate of around 40

Bryan

Ha mine is 39 and I am not as fit as I was as demonstrated today when
I only managed 200 sit ups in my exercise period and 10K in 45 mins.
Still first week back after the collision. I never found maxing out to
be a problem in any of the training I have done, and I've done some mad
things...Basically the more you do the less it becomes a problem over
time unless you are unfit to start with. Or, to put it another way,
1) If your in pain you ain't dead.
2) If you can think about the pain you can keep going.
3) If you can think about stopping you can still keep going.
4) If your not thinking about the pain and your not thinking of stopping
quit bitching and get on with the march.

Ahhh those good old days...

Sniper8052
Old July 18th 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

1) If your in pain you ain't dead.
2) If you can think about the pain you can keep going.
3) If you can think about stopping you can still keep going.
4) If your not thinking about the pain and your not thinking of stopping
quit bitching and get on with the march.

The last one gave it away: this advice was 'given' to you by a member
of a government organisation (most likely with a very short haircut and
a loud mouth), to who you being dead or not was not the most important
consideration.
Still, sounds like good advice all the same...

Maximum Heart Rate - Actual vs Calculated jj General 6 July 22nd 05 10:57 PM
high maximum heart rate pam_in_sc General 10 November 13th 04 01:16 AM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Heart Rate Monitor findings. Simon Mason UK 40 February 27th 04 11:22 PM