Tightening brake cables

Old August 29th 03, 10:58 AM
Pete Biggs

Default Tightening brake cables

Lee wrote:
On my way in today i noticed my back brake was pretty much dead - i
could pull the lever right back and only get slight friction. On
looking further my pads are fairly worn anyway but my left pad seems
to "stick" on the wheel - i dont think there is enough tension in the
brake cable to pull it back.

I have located what i believe to be a tensioner - its a screw like
thing just to the right of my brake handle - if i turn this a bit and
pull more brake cable through will this solve my problem?

No, I think you need to centre the brakes. How you do that depends on the
type and model of brakes.

If the cable passes through the thing you describe then that's a cable
adjuster and it will help reduce the amount the lever needs to be pulled.
It's important that the brake lever won't hit the handlebar no matter how
hard you pull it. Brake pads should be replaced if there's virtually no
material left.

~PB

Old August 29th 03, 11:35 AM
mule

On my way in today i noticed my back brake was pretty much dead - i
could pull the lever right back and only get slight friction. On
looking further my pads are fairly worn anyway but my left pad seems
to "stick" on the wheel - i dont think there is enough tension in the
brake cable to pull it back.

There is also a screw (or should be) on the outer side of the left hand
brake arm (and on the right). If you tighten it (clockwise) it should
create more tension in the spring to pull it away from the arm.

Try this too.

I have located what i believe to be a tensioner - its a screw like
thing just to the right of my brake handle - if i turn this a bit and
pull more brake cable through will this solve my problem?

What you describe here might be the brake reach adjustment.
If your brake cable is slack, maybe the locknut (near the brake arms) is
loose. If not, try loosening it a bit, pulling a bit more cable through,
then tightening it up again to create more tension.

Brakes can be fiddly. Touch one thing and sometimes you change a few.
Have a play and you'll soon get used to it.

--
....meandering mule...
Old August 29th 03, 11:37 AM
mule

Hi lee

RG's is good advice too. If you're not technically minded, get yourself a
manual or take your bike to the LBS - but ask them to show you how to do it
for any future problems.

--
....meandering mule...
Old August 29th 03, 11:38 AM
mule

create more tension in the spring to pull it away from the arm.

....should read...

"create more tension in the spring to pull it away from the wheel RIM."

--
....meandering mule...
Old August 29th 03, 02:11 PM
Lee

"elyob" wrote in message

"Lee"

gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverym uch.btinternet.com
wrote in message ...
Hi all,

On my way in today i noticed my back brake was pretty much dead - i

could
pull the lever right back and only get slight friction. On looking

further
my pads are fairly worn anyway but my left pad seems to "stick" on the
wheel - i dont think there is enough tension in the brake cable to pull

it
back.

I have located what i believe to be a tensioner - its a screw like thing
just to the right of my brake handle - if i turn this a bit and pull

more
brake cable through will this solve my problem?

Thanks in advance

Lee

I go with other advice on this list. Find someone who knows brakes and get
some advice in person. They are far too vital to be played around with.
Apart from the obvious "can't stop", you could wear through the tyre to
create a snake bite puncture. They are nasty, that's how my Dad broke his
collar bone.

Well i had a fiddle at dinner and tightened the cable a bit - it seems much
better now.

On careful inspection the rear brake pads are quite worn and so it will be
time to get some new ones I think. May also need some brake holders too as
these seem rather rusty!

Lee

Old August 29th 03, 02:12 PM
Lee

wrote in message ...

"mule" wrote in message
create more tension in the spring to pull it away from the arm.

...should read...

"create more tension in the spring to pull it away from the wheel

RIM."

--
...meandering mule...

Thanks for your advice guys.

Think a trip to the LBS is looking likely - a good service wouldnt hurt

and
I need some new gear cogs in any case!

So, a new chain as well then ....

Nah, my chain is only a few weeks old - that was the 1st thing i got
sorted - well, after 2 new inner tubes of course!

Old August 29th 03, 03:14 PM
elyob

wrote in message ...

Nah, my chain is only a few weeks old - that was the 1st thing i got
sorted - well, after 2 new inner tubes of course!

Generally speaking, new 'cogs' and chains should be purchased at same time.
They bed in with each other.

Old August 29th 03, 04:30 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:14:07 GMT, "elyob"
wrote:

Generally speaking, new 'cogs' and chains should be purchased at same time.
They bed in with each other.

Or you buy three chains and rotate them, and with luck a cassette will
last through more than one set. Or you keep the chain clean and
well-lubed and the cassette will last several chains.

But if you don't keep things clean and lubed, expect to replace both
together.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
New! Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!