Clipless pedals

Old March 17th 04, 09:50 AM
gavin

Default Clipless pedals

After agonising for a very long time (not really!) I have decided that I
should at long last make the transition to clipless pedals. The few people I
know who use them have told me that once I get used to them I won't look
back. I know that they are supposed to be more efficient from an energy
point of view but since my favourite pair of trainers "died" last year I
can't seem to find a pair that feel as comfortable in my toe clips/straps.

So the big question is what should I chose? I know very little about what's
available. I know there is straightaway a choice between MTB pedals and road
pedals. From what I have been told the MTB pedal/shoe combination allows for
ease of walking when off the bike - and I am by no means a racing cyclist
:-)

I also believe that there are different types of mechanism for clipping into
not all of which are compatible with each other.

I would be very grateful if you could explain what my options are, the pros
and cons of each and if you have any recommended makes/styles. I know the
latter is subjective but I would be very interested in your opinions.

Thanks,

Gavin

Old March 17th 04, 10:30 AM
McBain_v1

Gavin wrote:
[...]

Clipless pedals - gotta love 'em :

On two of my road bikes I actually have MTB pedals (my winter bike an
my spring/autumn bike). The pedals themselves are typically smaller i
terms of your pedalling platform (but are usually dual sided - easier t
get your foot locked into) which some would argue leads to a slight los
in your ability to deliver power to your wheels. (click.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/Pedals/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=PD
M959here for an example) You are correct in that it is easier to wal
around off the bike in MTB shoes..

But it all depends on how much walking around you think you are going t
be doing. On my "summer bike" I've got Shimano PD-R600 road pedal
(click.shimano.com/Footwear_Pedals/Pedals/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=PD
R600here) and the cleats are on my Diadora ALU road shoes. The Shiman
cleat is very large and coupled with the ALU shoes' aluminium sole
makes walking on any tiled surface dicey. However, the large peda
platform and minimal float means I feel that more power is bein
channeled to the wheels

In terms of weight, I am sure that you can get road and MTB pedals tha
are equally as light as one another

If you are making the transition I would advise that you get a cliples
pedal that has a good amount of "float". Locking yourself into thes
pedals without any play at all could play havoc with your knees if yo
are used to being able to move your foot around a small amount with you
pedal stroke

I would also advise that you loosen off the lock on whichever pedal yo
typically remove your foot from when you come up to traffic lights etc
(unless you are a master at track standing), just so that you are abl
to get your foot on the ground quick for the first few rides

Not all systems are compatible with one another (e.g. Look vs. Shimano
- I guess this is just a bit of protectionism between manufacturers
Each manufacturer has its own advocates and detractors. Personally
like Shimano (but not their shoes)

-

Old March 17th 04, 10:32 AM
MSeries

gavin wrote:

I would be very grateful if you could explain what my options are,
the pros and cons of each and if you have any recommended
makes/styles. I know the latter is subjective but I would be very
interested in your opinions.

This was discussed a few weeks ago, the most common types are SPD and Look.
SPD are often referred to a MTB pedals but they can be used on road
machines. Do not confuse these with SPD-R which are different again. If you
want to have recessed cleats for better walking choose SPD. Look compatible
shoes are usually very stiff with no compromise and provide a very good
pedalling platform. My preference is Look but I ride road bikes only. SPD
compat shoes can often resemble trainers so make a good choice where you
have to walk around in between riding and can't or can't be bothered to
change shoes.

Old March 17th 04, 10:52 AM
Peter Clinch

gavin wrote:

So the big question is what should I chose? I know very little about wh=

at's
available. I know there is straightaway a choice between MTB pedals and=

road
pedals. From what I have been told the MTB pedal/shoe combination allow=

s for
ease of walking when off the bike - and I am by no means a racing cycli=

st

You can et road stuff you can easily walk in, but the MTB avenue will=20
always allow that and give you that at lower prices as well.

I also believe that there are different types of mechanism for clipping=

into
not all of which are compatible with each other.

Cleats are generally specific to certain pedals, but the important bit=20
is they all (at least all I've come across) will fit the same shoes. So =

though my Time cleats won't fit SPD pedals, they fit into any shoes that =

take Shimano cleats

I would be very grateful if you could explain what my options are, the =

pros
and cons of each and if you have any recommended makes/styles. I know t=

he
latter is subjective but I would be very interested in your opinions.

One possibility is a pedal with a cleat attachment on one side and a=20
"normal" platform on the other, so it's easy to pedal in trainers rather =

than sliding off every then and now if you can't be arsed to put your=20
cycling shoes on. Beyond that I wouldn't worry too much, they'll all do =

the business so see what's on offer. You can get Wellgos for about =A320=
,=20
or so.
Some pedals are cleaner and use different mechs, like Time ATACs and=20
Eggbeaters. I personally like the Times, finding they're less affected=20
by cleat wear, don't need fiddling with tension and there's less gubbins =

to clean, but they'll set you back more and you'll get most of the=20
available benefit from a cheapish pair. Spend more once you're certain=20
you like them and think it'll make a difference,

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Old March 17th 04, 10:58 AM
Peter Clinch

Peter Clinch wrote:

Cleats are generally specific to certain pedals, but the important bit
is they all (at least all I've come across) will fit the same shoes.

Caveat with what I wrote: all MTB type shoes should probably take MTB
type cleats, but I didn't make that clear first time...

Pete.

Old March 17th 04, 11:00 AM
Richard Belcher

Bravo!

It can be a scary prospect going clipless. I think it makes a real
difference once you get into the "spin" of things. It makes peadling
much easier & helps conserve energy on longer rides. It's also handy for
stopping you bounce off the pedals when you're traveling on less than
smooth British roads...

The one thing everyone will tell you is to stick with it. Yes, you will
fall over a few times but it's usually when you stop go to put your foot
down then...TIMBER... we've all been there so don't worry. Practice,
practice, practice...it'll soon be second nature to clip in/out & you'll
wonder how you ever used to get around without them.

Might be worth finding a grassy area to try clipping in moving off
slowly, picking a stopping point, slowing down, unclipping & stepping
down. Repeat until it become instinctive. Don't try it in traffic
straigh off...trust me! I bet in no time at all you'll be able to clip
in/out at the lights, in heavy traffic waving to people etc...

Good luck & let us know how you get on!

PS: What do you ride? Road/MTB? You can walk in most road shoes, at
least I can take a quick trip in my SPD-SL's, even on wood/tiled
floors....I wouldn't want to hike in them though ;-) I use Sidi
Energy Road shoes & SPD-SL cleats & I love em'

Old March 17th 04, 11:49 AM
MSeries

"Richard Belcher" wrote in message
news
PS: What do you ride? Road/MTB? You can walk in most road shoes, at
least I can take a quick trip in my SPD-SL's, even on wood/tiled
floors....I wouldn't want to hike in them though ;-) I use Sidi
Energy Road shoes & SPD-SL cleats & I love em'

That reminds me of a time I tried to visit a cash point at a very upmarket
bank in Honolulu. It was raining and I was wearing old fashioned rattrap
pedal shoes with slotted cleats. The shoes were not old fashioned though,
stiff plastic with no grip provided for. The path to the cash point was
sloped and marble and the wet and my shoes afforded no grip at all ! I had
to haul myself up using the railing.

Old March 17th 04, 11:50 AM
Pete Biggs

gavin wrote:
So the big question is what should I chose? I know very little about
what's available. I know there is straightaway a choice between MTB
pedals and road pedals. From what I have been told the MTB pedal/shoe
combination allows for ease of walking when off the bike - and I am
by no means a racing cyclist :-)

Nor am I, really, but I like Look racing pedals. They're so good for
*cycling*. I suggest at least thinking about the option if you don't need
to do much walking. Rubber covers for the cleats can be used to make safe
walking possible - it's just that you can't walk entirely normally (with
the stiff soles and sticky-out cleats) and walking would be uncomfortable
for any great distance... but personally, I find long walks uncomfortable
with any shoes! I should have been born with wheels :-)

To be fair, the SPD option is a good one to start with, especially
considering the low prices available for pedals and shoes. Lots of other
clipless systems as well. Sorry the subject is too large to list all the
pros and cons of each. Please dip into the archives of uk.rec.cycling and
rec.bicycles.tech via Google Groups.

~PB

Old March 17th 04, 11:53 AM
Peter Clinch

Richard Belcher wrote:

The one thing everyone will tell you is to stick with it. Yes, you will
fall over a few times but it's usually when you stop go to put your foot
down then...TIMBER... we've all been there so don't worry. Practice,
practice, practice...it'll soon be second nature to clip in/out & you'll
wonder how you ever used to get around without them.

Worth noting is that once you're used to it it's actually *easier* than
getting out of clips and straps, especially if you've got straps done up
tight and have to stop unexpectedly.

Might be worth finding a grassy area to try clipping in moving off
slowly, picking a stopping point, slowing down, unclipping & stepping
down. Repeat until it become instinctive. Don't try it in traffic
straigh off...trust me!

In practice I think first time users are *sooooo* paranoid about them
that they rarely come to grief. In most situations stopping is
predictable, so if you look ahead and see you'll have to stop shortly
you unclip *then*, not when you *have* to. There's no problem riding
without being formally clipped in, so when you do get to the stop point
you just put your already unclipped foot down.
And remember that if you do get it wrong you will almost certainly be at
0 mph along with everyone else there. The only thing likely to be
seriously wounded is your pride.

Pete.

Old March 17th 04, 12:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , gavin ')
wrote:

After agonising for a very long time (not really!) I have decided that
I should at long last make the transition to clipless pedals. The few
people I know who use them have told me that once I get used to them I
won't look back. I know that they are supposed to be more efficient
from an energy point of view but since my favourite pair of trainers
"died" last year I can't seem to find a pair that feel as comfortable
in my toe clips/straps.

So the big question is what should I chose? I know very little about
what's available. I know there is straightaway a choice between MTB
pedals and road pedals. From what I have been told the MTB pedal/shoe
combination allows for ease of walking when off the bike - and I am by
no means a racing cyclist

That's much too simplistic. I have 'road' shoes (designed for touring)
which are easy and comfortable to walk in, and my partner has MTB shoes
(designed for racing) which are virtually impossible to walk in (but
have huge football boot studs in the toes for scrambling up steep
banks).

All cycling shoes have a fairly rigid shank in the sole. On designed-
for-racing shoes this shank is quite bent, so that the shoe is like a
high-heeled shoe without the heel. These are the ones that are
difficult to walk in, and it's largely the bend that makes it
difficult.

A shoe which has a flat sole (ideally with some degree of grip) and
where the cleat doesn't project beyind the tread will be fine to walk
in. You can get these in both touring and MTB styles - the difference
being the MTB ones will have more tread, designed to deal with slippier
surfaces.

I also believe that there are different types of mechanism for
clipping into not all of which are compatible with each other.

I would be very grateful if you could explain what my options are, the
pros and cons of each and if you have any recommended makes/styles. I
know the latter is subjective but I would be very interested in your
opinions.

At the cheap end of the market, Shimano SPD pedals are perfectly good.
There are better pedals about but they are much more expensive. The
major problem with the SPD system is the pedals tend to clog with mud
off-road.

SPD pedals are available as beautiful little attenuated single sided
pedals for road bikes, or as doubles sided pedals for off road bikes;
or - useful if you're a beginner or will sometimes ride without your
cleated shoes - as SPD one side and ordinary platform the other. My
partner likes these.

As to shoes, get a pair that fit (and be prepared to spend a bit of
money, although you may not have to). My own personal favourites are a
pair of SIDI boots, but they're my favourites because they fit *my*
feet so well and are so comfortable. There's no point in getting shoes
in which you are not comfortable, it will just put you off.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.