Ergo brake lever/shifters or bar ends?

Old March 2nd 05, 06:57 PM
Lee

Default Ergo brake lever/shifters or bar ends?

I'm building up a commuter bike with Campy Record Triple components on a
Cannondale T1000 touring frame.

While most use will be for commuting, I may do some light touring on this
bike.

My other (race and cyclocross) bikes all have the Campy Ergo brake/shifter
setups.

What are the pros/cons of the Ergo setup versus barcons on a
commuter/touring bike?

BTW, I'm familiar with barcons...I built up my first race bike with barcons
in 1972 and used them until I upgraded to the Ergos in '99.

Thanks!

Lee

Old March 2nd 05, 07:57 PM
m-gineering

Lee wrote:

I'm building up a commuter bike with Campy Record Triple components on a
Cannondale T1000 touring frame.

While most use will be for commuting, I may do some light touring on this
bike.

My other (race and cyclocross) bikes all have the Campy Ergo brake/shifter
setups.

What are the pros/cons of the Ergo setup versus barcons on a
commuter/touring bike?

In rollercoaster hills you have to ratchet like mad to drop the chain
from the big ring on the granny. With barcons you can do it while
holding a sandwich
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old March 2nd 05, 10:23 PM
Paul Kopit

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:57:01 -0500, "Lee"
lee_AT_SHOES_wheelman_DOT_com wrote:

What are the pros/cons of the Ergo setup versus barcons on a
commuter/touring bike?

Althought I'm a great Ergo fan, there is not great advantage on most
bicycles for most riders. That said, I haven't ridden barcons in
years. I know I made a mistake in '99 when I changed my tandem
shifting to Ergo from Shimano barends for my tandem. The barends were
far less fussy about which chainring and cogset combinations I chose.

A set of decent brake levers and barcons plus cables will cost as much
as Veloce or Centaur Ergo.

The Ergo brifters will hold much more of their value should you decide
to sell.
Old March 2nd 05, 11:52 PM
A Muzi

m-gineering wrote:
In rollercoaster hills you have to ratchet like mad to drop the chain
from the big ring on the granny. With barcons you can do it while
holding a sandwich

Yes, bar end controls do have a simple elegance and I like
them too, but Ergos aren't as bad as all that. Press firmly
twice on the return and they'll drop right into low unless
something's awry.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 3rd 05, 01:33 AM
Mark Hickey

Eeek...

When I first read the subject line quickly, I "saw"...

Ergo brake lever/shifters ON bar ends?

I didn't even want to open it up and read the verbal carnage!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 3rd 05, 02:04 AM
Mark D

Hi Lee, There is also one other option too, that no one has mentioned
here, and that's Campy Record 10-SP Indexed Downtube Shifters also.
(Yes, these can be gotten, and are basically the same as the Campy
Bar-Cons)

Naturally, the right lever, that controls the Rear Derailleur is
Indexed, the left Lever is Friction, and will work equally well with
either Double, or Triple Chainring Cranks.

This version enables the vintage look, utilizing the modern 10-SP
systems, and no monkeying with cabling running around the Bars like with
Bar-Cons. The downside is reaching down to actuate, but I understand
that some prefer this method over Bar-Cons, and Ergos. I guess it's
what you like, and what you're used to. All personal preference I guess.

I have a brand new set of these Campy Record 10-SP DT Shifters in the
box, never used if interested. Mark

Old March 3rd 05, 08:22 PM
Lee

"Mark D" wrote in message
Hi Lee, There is also one other option too, that no one has mentioned
here, and that's Campy Record 10-SP Indexed Downtube Shifters also.
(Yes, these can be gotten, and are basically the same as the Campy
Bar-Cons)

Naturally, the right lever, that controls the Rear Derailleur is
Indexed, the left Lever is Friction, and will work equally well with
either Double, or Triple Chainring Cranks.

This version enables the vintage look, utilizing the modern 10-SP
systems, and no monkeying with cabling running around the Bars like with
Bar-Cons. The downside is reaching down to actuate, but I understand
that some prefer this method over Bar-Cons, and Ergos. I guess it's
what you like, and what you're used to. All personal preference I guess.

I have a brand new set of these Campy Record 10-SP DT Shifters in the
box, never used if interested. Mark

I have a set of 9 speed DT shifters kicking around somewhere, not sure why

One of my older bikes has friction shifters, and I don't think I want the DT
shifters on this bike...

I own both the Ergos and the barcons so cost isn't an issue.

I *think* I'm going to go with the Ergos...I tend to find myself on the
hoods a lot more than on the drops, so the Ergos will be more convenient...

Lee