What happened here

Old February 4th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default What happened here

Today I'm in a shop buying a jacket, and the chap helping me turns out to be a roadie, pretty near the beginning of his career as a cyclist I would say.

He's got a horror story. He took in his bike for servicing and on picking it up was told that they had to "fix the rear wheel". He goes out riding, the rear wheel collapses, he slams on the brakes, goes over the bars, and ends up with surgery on his elbow and collar bone. The rim is bent into an S shape around the join in the rim. There are no obvious collapsed or ripped out spokes. According to him it isn't a wheel with "few spokes" but one with "many spokes", so a too-low spoke count probably isn't the cause.

So what do you think happened here?

Andre Jute
Old February 4th 13, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hbert

On 02/04/2013 02:29 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
Today I'm in a shop buying a jacket, and the chap helping me turns out to be a roadie, pretty near the beginning of his career as a cyclist I would say.

He's got a horror story. He took in his bike for servicing and on picking it up was told that they had to "fix the rear wheel". He goes out riding, the rear wheel collapses, he slams on the brakes, goes over the bars, and ends up with surgery on his elbow and collar bone. The rim is bent into an S shape around the join in the rim. There are no obvious collapsed or ripped out spokes. According to him it isn't a wheel with "few spokes" but one with "many spokes", so a too-low spoke count probably isn't the cause.

So what do you think happened here?

What do you mean by "collapses"? Do you mean it did a potato chip
imitation?

Old February 4th 13, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/4/2013 1:29 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
Today I'm in a shop buying a jacket, and the chap helping me turns out to be a roadie, pretty near the beginning of his career as a cyclist I would say.

He's got a horror story. He took in his bike for servicing and on picking it up was told that they had to "fix the rear wheel". He goes out riding, the rear wheel collapses, he slams on the brakes, goes over the bars, and ends up with surgery on his elbow and collar bone. The rim is bent into an S shape around the join in the rim. There are no obvious collapsed or ripped out spokes. According to him it isn't a wheel with "few spokes" but one with "many spokes", so a too-low spoke count probably isn't the cause.

So what do you think happened here?

Could be many things including road impact.
Excessive tension on a light rim would also fit that
description.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 4th 13, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, February 4, 2013 7:45:30 PM UTC, Duane Hbert wrote:
On 02/04/2013 02:29 PM, Andre Jute wrote:

Today I'm in a shop buying a jacket, and the chap helping me turns out to be a roadie, pretty near the beginning of his career as a cyclist I would say.

He's got a horror story. He took in his bike for servicing and on picking it up was told that they had to "fix the rear wheel". He goes out riding, the rear wheel collapses, he slams on the brakes, goes over the bars, and ends up with surgery on his elbow and collar bone. The rim is bent into an S shape around the join in the rim. There are no obvious collapsed or ripped out spokes. According to him it isn't a wheel with "few spokes" but one with "many spokes", so a too-low spoke count probably isn't the cause.

So what do you think happened here?

What do you mean by "collapses"? Do you mean it did a potato chip

imitation?

Precisely, Duane. That is how it was described to me.

I think Andrew Muzi has it: the rim was over-tensioned and then not relieved, but I thought I'd better check with you more knowledgable chaps.

Andre Jute
Old February 4th 13, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 05/02/13 08:24, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

A sad tale indeed.

I hate it when supposedly more knowledgeable folks turn out to be duds -
the bike shop butchers in this case.

I've had similar experiences with car mechanics. Consequently it takes
me ages to develop some trust in anyone tinkering with my vehicles, and
only resort to using someones services when I really don't have the
capacity (tools, space, time, expertise) to perform the service/repair
myself.

Thankfully the bicycle is one vehicle I haven't needed to employ the
services of a mechanic for. I suggest your jacket salesman learn to
maintain his bicycle and do away with the need for external support.

--
JS.
Old February 5th 13, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 09:34:11 +1100, James
wrote:

[...]

I'm a bit skeptical when I hear these kind of stories. Too often I've
had a chap describe his problem as "it just doesn't run right".
"What's the matter? "Well it just isn't running right and it makes
this funny clicking noise".

Try an fix that complaint.

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 5th 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

eyah the minion knew who you thunk you are n feed yawl a line of smoking bull****

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t...w=1152&bih=610
Old February 5th 13, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman

On 2/4/2013 4:34 PM, James wrote:
I've had similar experiences with car mechanics. Consequently it takes
me ages to develop some trust in anyone tinkering with my vehicles, and
only resort to using someones services when I really don't have the
capacity (tools, space, time, expertise) to perform the service/repair
myself.

Here we have "mechanics" who tighten lugs nuts with an air-impact wrench
at full torque setting. Great fun jumping on the end of lug wrench
trying to break the nuts loose while traffic whizzes by.

--
Tom $herman
Old February 5th 13, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 02-04-2013 14:29, Andre Jute wrote:
Today I'm in a shop buying a jacket, and the chap helping me turns out to be a roadie, pretty near the beginning of his career as a cyclist I would say.

He's got a horror story. He took in his bike for servicing and on picking it up was told that they had to "fix the rear wheel". He goes out riding, the rear wheel collapses, he slams on the brakes, goes over the bars, and ends up with surgery on his elbow and collar bone. The rim is bent into an S shape around the join in the rim. There are no obvious collapsed or ripped out spokes. According to him it isn't a wheel with "few spokes" but one with "many spokes", so a too-low spoke count probably isn't the cause.

So what do you think happened here?

I don't have the expertise to be specific, but it sure seems likely that
the "mechanics" screwed up.

Unfortunately, there is the slim chance that it just failed and wasn't
their fault. And the "benefit of the doubt" may be sufficient to get
them off the hook.

--
Wes Groleau

¡Qué quiero realmente hacer es comer un perrito caliente!
私が実際にしたいと思う何をホット ッグを食べることである!
http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.org/WWW?itemid=463
Old February 5th 13, 10:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Feb 4, 7:29*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
Today I'm in a shop buying a jacket, and the chap helping me turns out to be a roadie, pretty near the beginning of his career as a cyclist I would say.

He's got a horror story. He took in his bike for servicing and on picking it up was told that they had to "fix the rear wheel". *He goes out riding, the rear wheel collapses, he slams on the brakes, goes over the bars, and ends up with surgery on his elbow and collar bone. The rim is bent into an S shape around the join in the rim. There are no obvious collapsed or ripped out spokes. According to him it isn't a wheel with "few spokes" but one with "many spokes", so a too-low spoke count probably isn't the cause.

So what do you think happened here?

Andre Jute

some cnut overtensioned the spokes. Can be quite easy to do with a
narrow wired-on rim and a high leverage nipple key.

It's happened again Doug[_8_] UK 11 June 21st 11 07:14 PM
what ever happened to ... Charles[_2_] Racing 0 May 5th 09 04:54 AM
What really happened in 85... Keith Racing 5 March 6th 09 12:22 AM
Wow what happened? MuniAddict Unicycling 7 August 6th 07 12:11 PM
Whatever happened to... Carla A-G Mountain Biking 5 July 22nd 05 10:23 AM