Going to be my latest purchase.

Old October 11th 11, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

Default Going to be my latest purchase.

On Oct 10, 4:15*pm, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
James wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:08 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:

It's fairly useless. Drops on a longtail are dumb as hell, as you need
the leverage of a wide bar.
Please, do tell what you are levering against? Why is this leverage
necessary on a longtail and not a fully loaded touring bike?

weight

I am waiting ;-)

I never needed extra wide bars on my touring bike when fully packed for
a week of camping.

I think it may have to do with the slower response of a very long
wheelbase. *To make up for the slower response, you have to input more
steering motion while balancing at low speeds.

I've done only a short test ride on a longtail cargo bike, but I've done
many miles on a tandem. *Our tandem has drop bars. *At very slow speeds,
I have to put some muscle into steering - much more than on my loaded
touring bike.

In fact, on two occasions I broke front spokes on the tandem while
balancing slow and turning sharply in parking lots.

You get a lot more steering input from your load on a tandem, though
-- unless you are hauling livestock on your cargo bike.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 11th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
James wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:08 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:

It's fairly useless. Drops on a longtail are dumb as hell, as you need
the leverage of a wide bar.
Please, do tell what you are levering against? Why is this leverage
necessary on a longtail and not a fully loaded touring bike?

weight

I am waiting ;-)

I never needed extra wide bars on my touring bike when fully packed for
a week of camping.

I think it may have to do with the slower response of a very long
wheelbase. To make up for the slower response, you have to input more
steering motion while balancing at low speeds.

Narrow bars mean less hand movement for more degrees of turn, btw.

I've done only a short test ride on a longtail cargo bike, but I've done
many miles on a tandem. Our tandem has drop bars. At very slow speeds,
I have to put some muscle into steering - much more than on my loaded
touring bike.

In fact, on two occasions I broke front spokes on the tandem while
balancing slow and turning sharply in parking lots.

On this longtail, most of the load should be over the back wheel anyway.

--
JS.
Old October 11th 11, 07:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
AMuzi

wrote:
James wrote:
Dan O wrote:
On Oct 9, 8:08 pm, James wrote:
landotter wrote:
[...]

Livestock, bicycles, what could go wrong with that?
http://www.sportsgrid.com/weird-but-...-over-cyclist/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 11th 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Jay Beattie

wrote:
James wrote:

Next time, he should ride this bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/19886474@N04/3563980218/
Old October 11th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
David Scheidt

In rec.bicycles.tech AMuzi wrote:

:Livestock, bicycles, what could go wrong with that?
:http://www.sportsgrid.com/weird-but-...-over-cyclist/

ouch.

--
sig 115
Old October 11th 11, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Oct 9, 4:08Â*pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
I'll be heading down to pick bike up the first of the week. Â*I was
wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this ride or if
some people had any suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I mean suggestions besides the usual lighting and safety suggestions.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! Â*((and Gals))
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../transport/tra...

Lights, if you want to ride at night or in poor weather.

Pump, tool kit, spare inner tubes and/or puncture repair kit.

I like shoes designed for riding, so clipless pedals. Â*Probably double
sided SPD, or SPD one side and platform the other. Â*It's a personal
preference decision.

Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. Â*Drop bars are the ticket. Â*Fitting the controls
from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.

Trekking bars offer tons of hand positions and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components. Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Trekking bars offer three grips.
Drop bars offer five (some say six) grips.

--
Michael Press
Old October 11th 11, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Oct 9, 4:08Â*pm, James wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
I'll be heading down to pick bike up the first of the week. Â*I was
wondering if anyone out there had any experience with this ride or if
some people had any suggestions as to what additions might be needed.

I mean suggestions besides the usual lighting and safety suggestions.

THANKS GUYS!!!!! Â*((and Gals))
http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../transport/tra...

Lights, if you want to ride at night or in poor weather.

Pump, tool kit, spare inner tubes and/or puncture repair kit.

I like shoes designed for riding, so clipless pedals. Â*Probably double
sided SPD, or SPD one side and platform the other. Â*It's a personal
preference decision.

Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. Â*Drop bars are the ticket. Â*Fitting the controls
from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.

[...]

Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Calling someone's choice an affectation says
everything about how you feel, and nothing
about the choice.

--
Michael Press
Old October 11th 11, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
(PeteCresswell)

Per AMuzi:
http://www.sportsgrid.com/weird-but-...-over-cyclist/

Geeze, and I thought it was "special" when I tangled with a
goose.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 12th 11, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Chalo

Michael Press wrote:

*landotter wrote:

Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Calling someone's choice an affectation says
everything about how you feel, and nothing
about the choice.

Spoken like someone who'd put drop bars on a wheelbarrow or a shopping
cart.

The right tool for the job is just that. "The job", for most drop bar
users, evidently is playing make-believe.

Chalo
Old October 12th 11, 05:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Joy Beeson

http://www.sportsgrid.com/weird-but-...-over-cyclist/

The story is behind a paywall, but here's the front page of the
newspaper: http://www.timesuniononline.com/

While riding his motorcycle, the owner of the Trailhouse was killed by
a hit-and-run white-tail deer. The last time I went through the
Village, there were still memorial bicycles in front of each shop.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

My latest purchase loosejello Unicycling 5 September 29th 05 02:02 AM
looking to purchase HRM EKG gel? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 3 May 24th 04 11:49 PM
Help with a new purchase bfra1 Australia 25 December 3rd 03 08:40 AM
Help with purchase Techniques 4 September 4th 03 03:31 PM
Help with purchase Racing 2 September 4th 03 06:11 AM