Going to be my latest purchase.

Old October 12th 11, 06:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
kolldata

Default Going to be my latest purchase.

On Oct 11, 7:53*pm, Chalo wrote:
Michael Press wrote:

*landotter wrote:

Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Calling someone's choice an affectation says
everything about how you feel, and nothing
about the choice.

Spoken like someone who'd put drop bars on a wheelbarrow or a shopping
cart.

The right tool for the job is just that. *"The job", for most drop bar
users, evidently is playing make-believe.

Chalo

LET ME BUTTIN here sans reading...riding a grocery loaded japanese
sport tourer '78 converted to 2010, pedalling standing is de riguer so
drops but Harrys frame ??? turning is priority not straight ahead
speed tho we need a Harry report on climbing with beans.
trekking bars are uh an akchoired taste - TB's are awkward and can
break a bone in there.
I have TB, don't like it, but continue looking for a good reason to
keep it. Like there's gotta be a good reason uh like O/D
Old October 12th 11, 09:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article ,
James wrote:

Chalo wrote:
James wrote:
landotter wrote:
James wrote:
Again with the personal preference, I'd want handle bars that offer
various hand positions. Drop bars are the ticket. Fitting the controls
from that bike to drop bars might prove a challenge.
Trekking bars offer tons of hand positions and use strong and
inexpensive mtb components. Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.
BTW, dropbars on a MTB is not strange to everyone..

http://twentynineinches.com/2010/05/...f-road-on-set-...

And what is a "utility bike"? Something to do the shopping with?
Carrying stuff on racks? A touring bike is not much different, yet
those in the touring club I used to ride with all used dropbars.

Did you look at the link to the Trek bike in question?

Yes.

My words for
using drop bars on such a bike would be a lot less charitable than
"strange affectation".

Opinions are like arse holes, everybody has got one.

and ... ???

everybody thinks everybody else's stinks.

--
Michael Press
Old October 12th 11, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

Michael Press wrote:

Â*landotter wrote:

Using drop bars on utility bikes is a
strange affectation.

Calling someone's choice an affectation says
everything about how you feel, and nothing
about the choice.

Spoken like someone who'd put drop bars on a wheelbarrow or a shopping
cart.

The right tool for the job is just that. "The job", for most drop bar
users, evidently is playing make-believe.

More feelings posing as a well taken position.

--
Michael Press
Old October 13th 11, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:53:32 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Spoken like someone who'd put drop bars on a wheelbarrow or a shopping
cart.

Actually, I like one flat bar on my shopping carts, and two
almost-horizontal almost-parallel-to-the-direction-of-travel bars on
my wheelbarrow.

Drop bars take a little getting used to, but I wouldn't have anything
else on a road bike. When I'm reduced to a crank-forward bike --
statistics say that will be in ten years, twenty at most -- I'll
probably prefer upright bars.

When I get a backache so bad I use a walker, there's nothing better
for it than to ride on drop bars -- it keeps the back muscles in
motion without putting any strain on them. (I got one of those the
day I was scheduled to lead a casual ride -- my riders thought I was
really energetic because I rode in circles during rest stops and never
got off the bike.)

Unlike you, however, I'm aware that there are people whose backaches
are exacerbated by bending forward. I don't go around calling them
delusional because they use methods that are best for them, and should
I have occasion to offer to let one of them use my walker, I won't run
in circles calling him dirty names if he explains that the walker
doesn't fit.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old October 13th 11, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc
James[_8_]

wrote:

Spoken like someone who'd put drop bars on a wheelbarrow or a shopping
cart.

Actually, I like one flat bar on my shopping carts, and two
almost-horizontal almost-parallel-to-the-direction-of-travel bars on
my wheelbarrow.

Wheelbarrow almost with drop bars ;-)

http://www.phototravels.net/japan/pc...kshaw-84.3.jpg

--
JS.

My latest purchase loosejello Unicycling 5 September 29th 05 02:02 AM
looking to purchase HRM EKG gel? D T W .../\\... Mountain Biking 3 May 24th 04 11:49 PM
Help with a new purchase bfra1 Australia 25 December 3rd 03 09:40 AM
Help with purchase Techniques 4 September 4th 03 03:31 PM
Help with purchase Racing 2 September 4th 03 06:11 AM