A fixed gear question from a "gear head"

Old May 5th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default A fixed gear question from a "gear head"

OK... what's this "fixed gear" nonsense, anyway?

OTOH, there's a minimalist asthetic beauty therein and... well...

Anyway, I have a nice, old lugged frame that fits me well where the
old Dura-Ace components are worn out, and I'm starting to consider it.

So, my hubs & wheels are in pretty decent shape... standard 120mm wide
& threaded for the freewheel... do I just throw the freewheel away and
screw on the fixed cog? I always thought you had to have a freewheel.
Are single-speed freewheels available for those faint-hearted of us?

Jones
Old May 5th 07, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

!Jones wrote:
OK... what's this "fixed gear" nonsense, anyway?

OTOH, there's a minimalist asthetic beauty therein and... well...

Anyway, I have a nice, old lugged frame that fits me well where the
old Dura-Ace components are worn out, and I'm starting to consider it.

So, my hubs & wheels are in pretty decent shape... standard 120mm wide
& threaded for the freewheel... do I just throw the freewheel away and
screw on the fixed cog? I always thought you had to have a freewheel.
Are single-speed freewheels available for those faint-hearted of us?

Jones

Single speed freewheels and fixed cogs both will spin on. Keep your
brakes, you'll need both for the FW(obviously) and both for the fixed
cog as you may spin it off if you attempt a lot of braking with your
legs. Single ring up front, mounted on the inside with shorty,track
type cr bolts, remove the ders, you are done.

Old May 5th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

!Jones wrote:
OK... what's this "fixed gear" nonsense, anyway?

OTOH, there's a minimalist asthetic beauty therein and... well...

Anyway, I have a nice, old lugged frame that fits me well where the
old Dura-Ace components are worn out, and I'm starting to consider it.

So, my hubs & wheels are in pretty decent shape... standard 120mm wide
& threaded for the freewheel... do I just throw the freewheel away and
screw on the fixed cog?

some people do that, but if you ride on the road and you didn't retain
your caliper brakes, you have the risk of the cog unscrewing just when
you /really/ don't need it to. like in the path of an oncoming bus.
the "correct" solution is to rebuild the rear wheel with a proper track
hub that utilizes the proper locking ring and all danger disappears.
cheapo track suzue hubs are about $35. surly are about $70. you can go
up substantially from there.

I always thought you had to have a freewheel.
Are single-speed freewheels available for those faint-hearted of us?

single cog freewheels are easily available - bmx and single speed mtb
use them all the time.
Old May 5th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 5, 8:49 am, !Jones wrote:
OK... what's this "fixed gear" nonsense, anyway?

Some people try it and like it.

Look in Sheldon Brown's fixed gear pages for what you need to know.
And/or google this group.

A good-fitting road frame with horizontal dropouts is a great place to
start.

Fixed is one way. Single speed is another.

Chainline (lots more):

http://www.businesscycles.com/tr-refspec.htm#chainline

--D-y

Old May 5th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

!Jones wrote:

OK... what's this "fixed gear" nonsense, anyway?

Just ignore them; they'll go away soon enough.

OTOH, there's a minimalist asthetic beauty therein and... well...

Anyway, I have a nice, old lugged frame that fits me well where the
old Dura-Ace components are worn out, and I'm starting to consider it.

Fixed = bad idea. If you have a taste for playing practical jokes on
yourself, give it a go. Otherwise, use a freewheel.

So, my hubs & wheels are in pretty decent shape... standard 120mm wide
& threaded for the freewheel... do I just throw the freewheel away and
screw on the fixed cog? I always thought you had to have a freewheel.
Are single-speed freewheels available for those faint-hearted of us?

You must not get out much. Yes, there are single freewheels. There
always have been-- for longer than there have been gear changing
devices and longer than there have been coaster brakes (which are a
good idea, by the way).

Just stick a single freewheel on your bike, remove the derailleurs and
shifters, and ride. For a nice-looking and thorough job, re-dish and
respace the wheel and remove any extraneous chainrings. Try to get
perfect alignment between the ring and the sprocket. Use a gear
between 50" and 75" depending on terrain, fitness, and preferred
cadence.

I have more bikes than I know what to do with, but the one that's been
getting the most use for the last several months is a '70s road bike I
converted to single speed. It's light, quiet, pretty, and
disgustingly reliable. And it reduces the task load while I'm riding
enough so that I have a different sort of experience-- I'm less
involved with the bike and a little more tuned in to the things around
me. It's the opposite of riding a fixie in my experience. When
riding a fixie, vigilance is required and a drifting mind is rewarded
with an attempted takeover by the bike.

A single speed is like your first bike, only bigger.

Chalo

Old May 5th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

Chalo wrote:

A single speed is like your first bike, only bigger.

my first bike (trike actually) was a fixie.

Subsequently I can't imagine why you shouldn't ride a fixie, unless you
want to jump over treelogs and the like

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old May 5th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Vee

On May 5, 11:20 am, Chalo wrote:
!Jones wrote:

OK... what's this "fixed gear" nonsense, anyway?

Just ignore them; they'll go away soon enough.

OTOH, there's a minimalist asthetic beauty therein and... well...

Anyway, I have a nice, old lugged frame that fits me well where the
old Dura-Ace components are worn out, and I'm starting to consider it.

Fixed = bad idea. If you have a taste for playing practical jokes on
yourself, give it a go. Otherwise, use a freewheel.

If you have a better suggestion for winter commuting than a fixed
gear, I'll throw my old fixed Raleigh away and get one. I've tried
just about everything else, and nothing has matched it.

-Vee

Old May 5th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On 5 May 2007 07:08:12 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Qui si parla
Campagnolo wrote:

Single speed freewheels and fixed cogs both will spin on. Keep your
brakes, you'll need both for the FW(obviously) and both for the fixed
cog as you may spin it off if you attempt a lot of braking with your
legs. Single ring up front, mounted on the inside with shorty,track
type cr bolts, remove the ders, you are done.

I have an early model Hujsak frame sitting in the garage gathering
dust... as I'm sure we *all* have similar; actually, it was my first
bike in the '70s. Not exactly a collector's item, but a well built,
lugged frame, nonetheless. I kinna went overboard with the braze-ons,
but this is why they invented micro-grinders and files... and it needs
repainting badly.

Methinks there's a project in my future.

Jones

Old May 5th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On 5 May 2007 09:20:06 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

You must not get out much.

Well, I'm not in that business, if that's what you mean. I find that
the bicycle industry is driven by fad about as often as it is anything
else. Today's bicycles are "over engineered"... just my not very
humble opinion, mind you... as are many of our products. I tend to
doubt that the current products will be "vintage" in 30 or 40 years.
But, WTF would'a thought that the GM Corvair would ever have been
collectable? Go figure.

Jones

Old May 5th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
G.T.

Chalo wrote:
!Jones wrote:
OK... what's this "fixed gear" nonsense, anyway?

Just ignore them; they'll go away soon enough.

OTOH, there's a minimalist asthetic beauty therein and... well...

Anyway, I have a nice, old lugged frame that fits me well where the
old Dura-Ace components are worn out, and I'm starting to consider it.

Fixed = bad idea. If you have a taste for playing practical jokes on
yourself, give it a go. Otherwise, use a freewheel.

I wholeheartedly disagree. I have so much fun on my fixed gear that I'm
now riding more than ever. And my next bike is going to be a fixed,
too, a very low geared utility bike for picking up beer.

If I hadn't moved back to the flat lands I probably would never have
built a fixed or SS.

Greg

--
The ticket******* Tax Tracker: