bike sizing

Old March 26th 08, 03:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
mike[_3_]

Default bike sizing

I am now in the market to pick out my new bike.

The big concern I am having with picking out a new bike is sizing.
I understand the ride hight I need, and seat hight, but am a bit
concerned with the seat to handlebar measurements.
I noticed that last year, when changing the stem on my current bike to
a shorter piece, that I started getting back pains that I never had
before. I have been riding this same bike since 1999.

Is there a guideline or rule of thumb for bike/rider geometry that I
can follow when looking for my new bike?
I am riding a XC, with no large jumps or drops.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com
Old March 27th 08, 07:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"mike" skrev i en meddelelse
I am now in the market to pick out my new bike.

The big concern I am having with picking out a new bike is sizing.
I understand the ride hight I need, and seat hight, but am a bit
concerned with the seat to handlebar measurements.
I noticed that last year, when changing the stem on my current bike to
a shorter piece, that I started getting back pains that I never had
before. I have been riding this same bike since 1999.

Is there a guideline or rule of thumb for bike/rider geometry that I
can follow when looking for my new bike?
I am riding a XC, with no large jumps or drops.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Im curious about this too.
I think I bought myself a too large bike.
Considering to get a shorter stem, to get a more upright position.
Feel that the tension i the back is less when I rise and only steer with the
knuckles.

;-)
tomov
(pardon my english)

Old March 29th 08, 03:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

wrote:
"mike" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Stand over height really determines frame size while stem length and
seat position are determined by arm length torso to length,and when a
bike is fit to you for proper riding position it is not always the most
comfortable for people to ride in especially if you are more of a
weekend warrior then a racer,a good LBS should help you fit your bike to
your body and riding type(for free if you bought your bike there.{if
they don't find a new bike shop})so shops don't care if the bike fits as
long as they sell you something they have in stock be careful.If you
already have a frame and don't want to buy a new one try different stem
lengths and angles,with and without riser bars and find a place your
comfortable riding and then get out and ride because if your not riding
it ,it really doesn't matter how it fits!
Old April 2nd 08, 04:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

wrote in message
"mike" skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Vertical sizing like standover and leg extension is a lot easier than the
other dimensions of the cockpit. There are a few websites out there that
try to establish seat placement and stem length based on torso and arm
measurements, but it's more art than science I think. The real world
application is that you get a frame that is within the ballpark, and tweak
your components to your personal preferences.

I have two MTB frames that I ride that are nominally the same size (but
different brands and slightly different geometries). One is my commuter,
and one is a dedicated trail ride. They are set up quite differently, and
both seem to work well for their purpose. My point being that even a
best-guess at component sizing based on height, standover and those nominal
measurements, will change based on usage and personal feel.

Not to say that going to an LBS and having a pro fit you is a bad thing - if
you give them all the right details (and they're good) they will get close.
Experiment from there and find your sweet spot(s). A sore back may result
form a big switch in stance. If it persists, try another stance. If it
doesn't, sometimes it is just a personal adjustment your body makes to
exercise under a new posture.

Sizing a Bike Tom Kunich Techniques 42 March 15th 08 03:54 PM
Bike sizing Sticky Wicket Techniques 10 March 2nd 07 01:59 PM
bike sizing chris c General 4 April 2nd 05 05:22 PM
bike sizing Michael UK 4 November 30th 03 05:57 PM
Bike sizing Bob M General 17 August 3rd 03 01:35 PM