Veloloop Triggers Inductive Road Sensors

Old October 7th 14, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Veloloop Triggers Inductive Road Sensors

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natnat/veloloop-trigger-traffic-signals-from-your-bike

Somehow I don't think that this project is going to attract many
backers. Personally I rarely have a problem activating sensors with my
road bike or mountain bike and in the rare instances that happens there
is often a walk-signal button to press or a car comes along. Worst case,
I run the red light.

Maybe carbon fiber bicycles need this device.
Old October 7th 14, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

what's the rush ?

http://goo.gl/BEUAG7

http://archive.wired.com/science/dis.../2005/08/68507

Old October 7th 14, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 10/7/2014 9:35 AM, sms wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natnat/veloloop-trigger-traffic-signals-from-your-bike

Somehow I don't think that this project is going to attract many
backers. Personally I rarely have a problem activating sensors with my
road bike or mountain bike and in the rare instances that happens there
is often a walk-signal button to press or a car comes along. Worst case,
I run the red light.

Maybe carbon fiber bicycles need this device.

I don't know, I have the same experience that you do. It works or I
press the walk signal or I run the light when there's no traffic.
Old October 7th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/7/2014 7:37 AM, Duane wrote:
On 10/7/2014 9:35 AM, sms wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natnat/veloloop-trigger-traffic-signals-from-your-bike

Somehow I don't think that this project is going to attract many
backers. Personally I rarely have a problem activating sensors with my
road bike or mountain bike and in the rare instances that happens there
is often a walk-signal button to press or a car comes along. Worst case,
I run the red light.

Maybe carbon fiber bicycles need this device.

I don't know, I have the same experience that you do. It works or I
press the walk signal or I run the light when there's no traffic.

Someone suggested laying the bike down on the loop then lifting it up if
you don't trigger the sensor otherwise. You want a larger mass of metal
to trigger it.
Old October 7th 14, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 10/7/2014 9:35 AM, sms wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/natnat/veloloop-trigger-traffic-signals-from-your-bike

Somehow I don't think that this project is going to attract many
backers. Personally I rarely have a problem activating sensors with my
road bike or mountain bike and in the rare instances that happens there
is often a walk-signal button to press or a car comes along. Worst case,
I run the red light.

Maybe carbon fiber bicycles need this device.

I don't know, I have the same experience that you do. It works or I
press the walk signal or I run the light when there's no traffic.

Someone suggested laying the bike down on the loop then lifting it up if
you don't trigger the sensor otherwise. You want a larger mass of metal
to trigger it.

I think the three choices I mentioned work fine most of the time.
Nearly every light here has a button for a pedestrian crossing. Unless
I'm queued up for a left turn there's no real problem pressing the
button. It's rare that the sensor doesn't work to begin with.
Old October 7th 14, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/7/2014 11:50 AM, Duane wrote:
On 10/7/2014 11:35 AM, sms wrote:
On 10/7/2014 7:37 AM, Duane wrote:

I don't know, I have the same experience that you do. It works or I
press the walk signal or I run the light when there's no traffic.

Someone suggested laying the bike down on the loop then lifting it up if
you don't trigger the sensor otherwise. You want a larger mass of metal
to trigger it.

I think the three choices I mentioned work fine most of the time. Nearly
every light here has a button for a pedestrian crossing. Unless I'm
queued up for a left turn there's no real problem pressing the button.
It's rare that the sensor doesn't work to begin with.

That type of sensor (the buried inductive loop) works well most of the
time, provided you know to put your bike in the proper position, which
is generally right atop the wire (if it's a single rectangle or circular
cut) or atop the center wire (if it's a double rectangle, or other
double figure). When the bike doesn't trigger the signal in that
instance, I've had good luck making a phone call to get the sensitivity
increased.

I don't have any interest in hauling my bike over to press a pedestrian
button, then hauling it back into traffic position. My bike is legally
a vehicle, and vehicle detectors should be adjusted to detect it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 14, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 10/7/2014 11:35 AM, sms wrote:
[...]

I have that problem constantly. There is one left-turn light which never
turns green but hardly any cars go there. So I ofetn cycle straight
across where more cars travel and trigger the light, then loop back
through a gas station. Then there are gates and that's worse, because
you simply cannot continue until the thing opens. Or heave the bicycle
over a fence and climb after it.

Some sensors can be triggered by scoping out the minor discolorations in
the road surface that indicate the loop and laying the bike. But I found
that only works well with the titanium frame bike of a friend. With my
aluminum frame it does not work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 7th 14, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/7/2014 1:06 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

I have that problem constantly. There is one left-turn light which never
turns green but hardly any cars go there. So I ofetn cycle straight
across where more cars travel and trigger the light, then loop back
through a gas station. Then there are gates and that's worse, because
you simply cannot continue until the thing opens. Or heave the bicycle
over a fence and climb after it.

Some sensors can be triggered by scoping out the minor discolorations in
the road surface that indicate the loop and laying the bike. But I found
that only works well with the titanium frame bike of a friend. With my
aluminum frame it does not work.

Well it turns out that I know someone beta-testing this device for the
inventor and he got a little bit defensive about me not thinking that it
was the greatest idea since sliced bread.

The thing that he says is most useful about it is that it lets him find
a loop that is unmarked and where the pavement cuts have been paved over.

He said that it is also a great conversation starter. He takes his
bicycle on Caltrain and is constantly asked about it. I hope he made up
a good story about it!

This sort of device has been around for a long time but I don't think
that anyone has tried to commercialize it before.

http://gizmodo.com/5079430/traffic-loop-sensor-trigger-for-bikes-gets-you-more-green-lights

Most cities will increase loop sensitivity and/or paint a bicycle
marking on the pavement if you tell them about the problem. I find very
few that don't work, and it's not just my steel road bicycle. My
daughter's aluminum bicycle does just fine on them.
Old October 7th 14, 10:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

sms wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but how often does that apply? Plus on my MTB such a large device
would be a hazard and survive a maximum of about 15 minutes into a ride.
That's when I hit the rough stuff on the first bush road, or what us
guys consider a "road".

He said that it is also a great conversation starter. He takes his
bicycle on Caltrain and is constantly asked about it. I hope he made up
a good story about it!

Maybe next time he should wear a clean-room suit and a gas mask, then
answer "This loop here? Oh, you don't want to know. You really don't
want to know!" :-)

This sort of device has been around for a long time but I don't think
that anyone has tried to commercialize it before.

http://gizmodo.com/5079430/traffic-loop-sensor-trigger-for-bikes-gets-you-more-green-lights

After entering the trail with my MTB I'd give than 10 seconds of
remaining lifetime. Max.

Most cities will increase loop sensitivity and/or paint a bicycle
marking on the pavement if you tell them about the problem. I find very
few that don't work, and it's not just my steel road bicycle. My
daughter's aluminum bicycle does just fine on them.

It's not just cicties but also HOAs with their gates. They will not
likely accommodate bicyclists because they prefer folks to cruise up in
upper class Mercedes Benzes.

Old October 7th 14, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/7/2014 2:08 PM, Joerg wrote:

It's not just cicties but also HOAs with their gates. They will not
likely accommodate bicyclists because they prefer folks to cruise up in
upper class Mercedes Benzes.

They don't accommodate pedestrians either. I can't remember exactly
where it was but I was dropping my daughter off for some scout training
and it was a gated commercial complex. They could open the gate from the
inside only by carrying a metal folding chair and waving it over the
loop detector. From the outside you needed a card key.