Who still makes non-compact frame road bikes?

Old April 27th 12, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Who still makes non-compact frame road bikes?

Does any major manufacturer still makes non-compact frame road bikes for
sale in the U.S.?

Friend is looking for a new road bike and is about to give up on shops
and go to bikesdirect.com. He's willing to spend about $2K, which rules
out all the custom frames which are still normal size. He needs a 56cm
frame.

There are still a couple of touring bikes made in non-compact frame
designs, but he wants something lighter (the touring bikes are all steel
frames and the wheels are heavier as well).
Old April 27th 12, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 27-4-2012 17:31, SMS schreef:
Does any major manufacturer still makes non-compact frame road bikes for
sale in the U.S.?

Friend is looking for a new road bike and is about to give up on shops
and go to bikesdirect.com. He's willing to spend about $2K, which rules
out all the custom frames which are still normal size. He needs a 56cm
frame.

There are still a couple of touring bikes made in non-compact frame
designs, but he wants something lighter (the touring bikes are all steel
frames and the wheels are heavier as well).

Tell him that there is nothing wrong with a slightly sloping toptube.
Longer headtube, more comfortable position possible without an ugly
stack of spacers etc.

Lou
Old April 27th 12, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 27-4-2012 17:31, SMS schreef:
Does any major manufacturer still makes non-compact frame road bikes for
sale in the U.S.?

Friend is looking for a new road bike and is about to give up on shops
and go to bikesdirect.com. He's willing to spend about $2K, which rules
out all the custom frames which are still normal size. He needs a 56cm
frame.

There are still a couple of touring bikes made in non-compact frame
designs, but he wants something lighter (the touring bikes are all steel
frames and the wheels are heavier as well).

Tell him that there is nothing wrong with a slightly sloping toptube.
Longer headtube, more comfortable position possible without an ugly
stack of spacers etc.

Lou

That's true but if one prefers a level top tube there are
well priced good quality Italian built Torelli Corsa frames:

http://torelli.com/frames/torelli/st...sa-strada.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 27th 12, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 27-4-2012 18:10, AMuzi schreef:
Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 27-4-2012 17:31, SMS schreef:
[...]

Still steel, but indeed a level toptube and a decent headtube lenght.

Lou
Old April 27th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/27/2012 9:10 AM, AMuzi wrote:

That's true but if one prefers a level top tube there are well priced
good quality Italian built Torelli Corsa frames:

He wants to buy a complete bicycle, not begin a project. The negatives
of the compact frame geometry are too great for him personally, but lets
not turn this thread into a debate over the relative merits of each
geometry. Suffice it to say that "a level top tube" is not the issue
with compact geometry.

I told him to go with a Habanero titanium with Shimano 105. They sell
complete bicycles as well as just frames. Maybe he'll do it, since it's
much better than what he can get at bikesdirect, and he's pretty much
resigned to the fact that he can't buy what he wants at an LBS anymore
anyway, so whatever he gets it will have to be ordered from somewhere.

He can come in at around $2100 for a complete bike, less pedals. He also
absolutely does not want a carbon fork, not just because of the large
number of carbon fork failures and recalls, but for other reasons as
well. With the Habanero he can get it built with a non-carbon fork.

I also suggested the Surly Pacer, but he wants a triple crankset, and
isn't sold on CroMo like I am. But even with changing the crankset it's
still a lot less than a Habanero. At least the Surly is available at an
LBS. About 24 pounds which is a few pounds more than a Habanero complete
bike, but this is not really a big deal for him.

Old April 27th 12, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Arthur Shapiro

In article , SMS wrote:

I told him to go with a Habanero titanium with Shimano 105.

Habanero is the obvious choice, and one can still purchase them without the
arguably-silly threadless headsets.

Mine will be ten years old in a few weeks and has performed well, including
a couple million feet of climbing. It has proven to be a good value.

Art
Old April 27th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/27/2012 9:48 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In , wrote:

I told him to go with a Habanero titanium with Shimano 105.

Habanero is the obvious choice, and one can still purchase them without the
arguably-silly threadless headsets.

That's true, but since the threaded forks and headsets have become
almost a boutique item, it now costs more for threaded. A threaded
headset and fork are preferable of course, but I don't think he'd pay
two hundred dollars more for it. You can correct the biggest problem
with threadless headsets with some after-market devices, i.e. see
http://www.octagoncycles.com/ and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oQYbZeQW0M.

For his riding, the Surly Pacer would be ideal, and still about $600
less than the Habanero even once he had the crankset changed to a triple.
Old April 27th 12, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

I told him to go with a Habanero titanium with Shimano 105.

Habanero is the obvious choice, and one can still purchase them
without the
arguably-silly threadless headsets.

That's true, but since the threaded forks and headsets have become
almost a boutique item, it now costs more for threaded. A threaded
headset and fork are preferable of course, but I don't think he'd pay
two hundred dollars more for it. You can correct the biggest problem
with threadless headsets with some after-market devices, i.e. see
http://www.octagoncycles.com/ and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oQYbZeQW0M.

For his riding, the Surly Pacer would be ideal, and still about $600
less than the Habanero even once he had the crankset changed to a triple.

I believe that the Bianchi CRO-Moly bikes are still non-compact frames.
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/

Old April 27th 12, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

I told him to go with a Habanero titanium with Shimano 105.

Habanero is the obvious choice, and one can still purchase them
without the
arguably-silly threadless headsets.

That's true, but since the threaded forks and headsets have become
almost a boutique item, it now costs more for threaded. A threaded
headset and fork are preferable of course, but I don't think he'd pay
two hundred dollars more for it. You can correct the biggest problem
with threadless headsets with some after-market devices, i.e. see
http://www.octagoncycles.com/ and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oQYbZeQW0M.

For his riding, the Surly Pacer would be ideal, and still about $600
less than the Habanero even once he had the crankset changed to a triple.

I believe that the Bianchi CRO-Moly bikes are still non-compact frames.
http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/

They've wrecked those too. Not quite compact, but "modified."

Old April 27th 12, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In , *wrote:

I told him to go with a Habanero titanium with Shimano 105.

Habanero is the obvious choice, and one can still purchase them without the
arguably-silly threadless headsets.

That's true, but since the threaded forks and headsets have become
almost a boutique item, it now costs more for threaded. A threaded
headset and fork are preferable of course, but I don't think he'd pay
two hundred dollars more for it. You can correct the biggest problem
with threadless headsets with some after-market devices, i.e. see
http://www.octagoncycles.com/ and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oQYbZeQW0M.

For his riding, the Surly Pacer would be ideal, and still about $600
less than the Habanero even once he had the crankset changed to a triple.

Hmmm, "arguably silly threadless headsets..." Ooooookay. No need to
dispute but there's a reaction that can just be left alone except that
I feel better now g.

Oh hell: I really like having a "faceplate" stem, only common amongst
"threadless" so far as I know, both for the admittedly rare need to
remove the bars (at least at my house), but more for the secure and
creak-free cycling I've experienced since 86'ing the quill stems on 3
of 4 bikes in my "fleet".

What's not to like about a stronger steerer tube (no threads to bulge
while the too-tight stem still can be twisted off-center), easy
adjustment with a single cheap, small tool?

If you want to talk about looks--? Well, I agree but "I got over
that", because to me the functioning is so much better.

OK, lay it on me!

========================

I'm not a "market expert" by any means but two points I'd like to
raise:
1) Ti makes a fine, no-maintenance bike frame in "matte" finish, which
was a selling point that was well explained the last time I read the
Habanero site, and is borne out in my experience of owning a matte-
finish Ti bike-- "you just wash it every once in a while" and it looks
the same, after;
2) Custom sizing was a feature at Habanero, IMS. This, if you'll
excuse me, would be a great time to get some kind of measurements
taken and see *if* a custom-sized frame might be in order. If you're
going to spend money on a new bike, and you can well use custom
sizing, that's a great thing to spend the money on and even save up a
little longer if that's what it takes (opinion and stated as such).
Said as a "long top-tube guy" whose ex was another "needs a custom
fit" rider; she said "First time I've been comfortable on a bike" and
for the non-believers, "I bet you can ride stock" g.
3) Back to "market", and this will be three, three points I'd like to
raise, but Habanero frames are good stuff according to testimony
around here, and it would seem to me that a Hab with 105 on it would
be a difficult "price point" to beat, especially considering the "no
paint, no rust" feature that will be important sooner or later as the
bike is used.
--D-y