ProTour is dead?

Old September 25th 04, 02:03 PM
Ronde Chimp

Default ProTour is dead?

From cyclingnews.com

Grand Tours say no to Pro Tour
By Jeff Jones

There has been a dramatic development in the UCI's proposed
superleague - the Pro Tour - which is due to come into being next
season. The organisers of the three grand Tours: the Tour de France,
Giro d'Italia and Vuelta España, apparently want no part of it, which
would seriously jeopardize its status.

Cyclingnews' Martin Hardie spoke to a number of the Spanish team
directors at the start of the Vuelta's 20th stage this morning in La
Vega de Alcobendas, who all independently confirmed that the
organisers of the three tours and several one day classics (A.S.O.,
RCS Sport and Unipublic) sent a letter to the UCI this morning stating
that they not want their races to be on the Pro Tour calendar.
Unipublic has also confirmed it on its website.

Given that the three major tours net most of cycling's media coverage,
this would effectively end the Pro Tour unless the organisers can come
to a last minute agreement with the UCI when they meet next week in
Verona.

The Pro Tour's aim is to take professional cycling to another level,
with a select number of teams (18 next year) with big budgets and big
rosters being made to ride all of cycling's major events. This would
provide guarantees to the team sponsors, who would know in advance
what kind of return they can get for their money. The idea has been
criticised from the start, but it seemed that the UCI was pressing
ahead regardless. However, with much of cycling's power in the hands
of three major organisers, it's clear that they had to give their
stamp of approval as well for the Pro Tour to fly.

Thanks,
Ronde Chimp
Old September 25th 04, 03:42 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On 25 Sep 2004 06:03:32 -0700, Ronde Chimp wrote:
From cyclingnews.com

Moron, Jeff himself posted the link here more than an hour ago. You
probably didn't see this because you are using Google. Still, no excuse
for quoting the entire article without providing a link. And what on
earth makes you think we didn't see it on CN ourselves already?! Really.
Old September 25th 04, 03:49 PM
Richard Adams

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On 25 Sep 2004 06:03:32 -0700, Ronde Chimp wrote:

From cyclingnews.com

Moron, Jeff himself posted the link here more than an hour ago. You
probably didn't see this because you are using Google. Still, no excuse
for quoting the entire article without providing a link. And what on
earth makes you think we didn't see it on CN ourselves already?! Really.

RBR Instruction Manual (as Enforced by Sgt of Arms Dronkert)

1. Read
2. Post

Step 2 is optional

Old September 25th 04, 04:42 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:42:48 +0200, Ewoud Dronkert
wrote:

On 25 Sep 2004 06:03:32 -0700, Ronde Chimp wrote:
From cyclingnews.com

Moron, Jeff himself posted the link here more than an hour ago. You
probably didn't see this because you are using Google. Still, no excuse
for quoting the entire article without providing a link. And what on
earth makes you think we didn't see it on CN ourselves already?! Really.

Ditto.

It's really bad to post entire articles from websites unless they give
permission. It undermines their advertising. Post a link, and
perhaps a brief extract if you want, but not the whole thing.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old September 25th 04, 09:03 PM
Chris

"Dead" would be an improvement so let's hope so. I wonder how all these
teams feel after staffing up for being compelled to ride all 3 GTs and now
some of them likely won't even get 3 invites?

Old September 27th 04, 11:47 AM
Donald Munro

Richard Adams wrote:
RBR Instruction Manual (as Enforced by Sgt of Arms Dronkert)
1. Read
2. Post

Step 2 is optional

1. Read AND comprehend

Old September 27th 04, 11:50 AM
Per Elmsäter

Richard Adams wrote:
RBR Instruction Manual (as Enforced by Sgt of Arms Dronkert)
1. Read
2. Post

Step 2 is optional

1. Read AND comprehend

Since when has comprehension become a requirement? If that was the case I'd
be the only poster left on this NG.
Capito?

--
Perre

Old September 27th 04, 05:37 PM
Richard Adams

Richard Adams wrote:
RBR Instruction Manual (as Enforced by Sgt of Arms Dronkert)
1. Read
2. Post

Step 2 is optional

1. Read AND comprehend

Since when has comprehension become a requirement? If that was the case I'd
be the only poster left on this NG.
Capito?

And you only show up now and then. Or do you lurk much? I've seen
you post quite a bit over in the other rec.bicycle. ng's.

Maybe we can find a poisition for you in this hierarchy --

Assistant to the Vice Peon of Clue Enforcement
Old September 27th 04, 06:05 PM
Per Elmsäter

Richard Adams wrote:
RBR Instruction Manual (as Enforced by Sgt of Arms Dronkert)
1. Read
2. Post

Step 2 is optional

1. Read AND comprehend

Since when has comprehension become a requirement? If that was the
case I'd be the only poster left on this NG.
Capito?

And you only show up now and then. Or do you lurk much? I've seen
you post quite a bit over in the other rec.bicycle. ng's.

Maybe we can find a poisition for you in this hierarchy --

Assistant to the Vice Peon of Clue Enforcement

I lurk a lot since my humble nature refrain me from butting in where others
more suited than me, already know everything there is to know.

--
Perre
"Humbly awaiting any clues"

Headset Dead Spot marc UK 4 August 26th 03 04:58 PM
NEWS UPDATE.. Thong man found dead after a fall. Reco Diver Mountain Biking 1 June 26th 03 11:29 AM