What Is "Alloy"?

Old April 14th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What Is "Alloy"?

On Apr 9, 3:14 pm, wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Does anybody know the name (or names) of the famous alloy from
which high- end racing components are made? :] Whenever I see it
referred to in books and articles, it is just called "alloy," but
apparently there's a whole branch of engineering that's embodied in
that single word, and writers gloss over the whole subject when
they say that.

Metals should be referred to by their proper names, e.g. 6061-T6
aluminium alloy, 4130 chromium-molybdenum steel.
Unalloyed aluminium is a very poor structural material and is used
mostly for corrosion resistant cladding.

General use has lead to the use of "Alloy" when Aluminum is meant,
probably because it is a shorter word, while mag is used for aluminum
(aluminium) or magnesium alloy automobile wheels. The broad use of
"alloy" in lieu of aluminum is especially common in bicycling.

English isn't getting better with such slang although the excuse "You
know what I mean" is invoked to justify sloppy talk. I get the
impression that most of the alloy-folks don't know what an alloy is.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alloy

Jobst Brandt

I once worked with a machinist who used the word "metal" to refer
exclusively to steel. In his world, aluminum was not a metal.
Generally when a bike part advertised as being "alloy" without
specifying which alloy, it's safe to assume gutter grade aluminum.
Old April 15th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:
On Apr 9, 3:14 pm, wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

The British have a term for that material: "cheese".

Old April 15th 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message
On Apr 9, 3:14 pm, wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

In Oregon and Washington there are a lot of shops that manufacture or work
on hydraulic cylinders used in various phases on the forest products
industry (including clear cutting).

The people working in those shops refer to "chrome". Chrome can mean 2
different things to them. One is precision ground polished case hardened
chrome plated steel rod used in hydraulic cylinders. The other is any type
of 4130, 4140, 4150, 4330, 4340, or 4350 chrome molybdenum alloy steel
(actually chromium is the correct term).

Chromium is subject to nitrogen embrittlement. Because of this no pure
metallic alloys have been developed. It's used as an alloying metal, for
decorative or protective plating and in chemical compounds.

Alloy is one of those words like kleenex, carborundum and various feminine
products that have become part of the modern English lexicon. Also trojans
(French letters to you Brits). ;-)

Chas.

Chas.