Submitted without comment

Old June 8th 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

Default Submitted without comment

This photo:

http://cache.boston.com/universal/si...icture/oly_06_
06/oly17.jpg

Snagged from the Boston Globe's superlative "Big Picture" photoblog:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/06/olympic_preparations.html

Old June 8th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Dear Ryan,

An email alerted me to your post about the resurgence of 1873
technology.

Monocycles are a well-established design, with some interesting
details illustrated he

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/handcraft...vel-289603.php

or http://tinyurl.com/2mb847

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 8th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
wrote:

On Jun 7, 11:41*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
This photo:

http://cache.boston.com/universal/si...icture/oly_06_
06/oly17.jpg

Snagged from the Boston Globe's superlative "Big Picture" photoblog:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/06/olympic_preparations.html

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Dear Ryan,

An email alerted me to your post about the resurgence of 1873
technology.

Monocycles are a well-established design, with some interesting
details illustrated he

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/handcraft...plica-is-a-mec

hanical-and-engineering-marvel-289603.php

or http://tinyurl.com/2mb847

That is a beautifully turned-out mechanism. Complexity aside, the
monocycle looks like it has a lot of advantages over an ordinary, and if
1873 is accurate, it's ordinaries that this bike would be competing
against.

Alas, I'm sure the monowheel was doomed by its cost and fussiness.

The modern Chinese replicas appear to have simplified somewhat, probably
making for a more, um, practical machine.

I also note on second look that the outer wheel of the Chinese version
consists of bolted-together segments, which might make for easier
transporting and easier manufacturing. They also appear to have
something like aluminum foil wrapped around a few spokes on each wheel,
and my first thought was fireworks display.

Old June 11th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On Jun 8, 12:41 am, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

oh yeah, but i think a little bitty second wheel, an outrigger if you
will, would make it more stable. It might look like a penny farthing
but that would just add to the spectacle.

no comment MagillaGorilla Racing 1 August 31st 06 04:05 AM
Best comment yet Mikefule Unicycling 2 October 29th 05 09:55 AM
Best comment yet unitic Unicycling 0 October 29th 05 03:43 AM
My best comment yet! totally_hooked Unicycling 4 October 27th 05 10:15 PM
No comment Bob Schwartz Racing 10 January 29th 05 02:46 AM