What Is "Alloy"?

Old April 10th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default What Is "Alloy"?

"jim beam" wrote:
Agent Smith wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote in
:
Agent Smith wrote:
Does anybody know the name (or names) of the famous alloy from which
high- end racing components are made? :] Whenever I see it referred
to in books and articles, it is just called "alloy," but apparently
there's a whole branch of engineering that's embodied in that single
word, and writers gloss over the whole subject when they say that.
Metals should be referred to by their proper names, e.g. 6061-T6
aluminium alloy, 4130 chromium-molybdenum steel.

Unalloyed aluminium is a very poor structural material and is used
mostly for corrosion resistant cladding.

I've got it. It's 7075 Zinc-Aluminum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_alloy

some components are made of 2000 series [dura-ace cranks], not 7000
series. 6000 and 7000 series are used more commonly in extrusions like
rims, handlebar and frame tube.

Is not the Shimano Dura-AceĀ® name derived in part from Duralumin, which
is an older name for 2000 series alloys?

Old April 10th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

Does anybody know the name (or names) of the famous alloy from
which high- end racing components are made? :] Whenever I see it
referred to in books and articles, it is just called "alloy," but
apparently there's a whole branch of engineering that's embodied in
that single word, and writers gloss over the whole subject when
they say that.

Metals should be referred to by their proper names, e.g. 6061-T6
aluminium alloy, 4130 chromium-molybdenum steel.

Unalloyed aluminium is a very poor structural material and is used
mostly for corrosion resistant cladding.

General use has lead to the use of "Alloy" when Aluminum is meant,
probably because it is a shorter word, while mag is used for aluminum
(aluminium) or magnesium alloy automobile wheels. The broad use of
"alloy" in lieu of aluminum is especially common in bicycling.

I worked as a graduate student TA for a crusty old materials professor,
who would practically run students out of the laboratory for such misuse.

English isn't getting better with such slang although the excuse "You
know what I mean" is invoked to justify sloppy talk. I get the
impression that most of the alloy-folks don't know what an alloy is.

Being financially liable for what one writes is incentive for avoiding
such sloppiness.

Old April 10th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"jim beam" wrote:
Agent Smith wrote:
Does anybody know the name (or names) of the famous alloy from which
high-
end racing components are made? :] Whenever I see it referred to in
books and articles, it is just called "alloy," but apparently there's
a whole branch of engineering that's embodied in that single word, and
writers gloss over the whole subject when they say that.

just like "plastic".

When I read "plastic", my first thought is non-recoverable deformation.
People do look at me weirdly for using "polymer" in regular conversation.

Old April 10th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 09 Apr 2008 22:24:55 GMT, wrote:

Carl Fogel wrote:

[...]

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alloy

Is the "general use" different from the "broad use"?

It is uniformly used most folks if you like that term better. That is
to say, it is not an exception that the misnomer is used. If you
listen to people you will notice it, but only if you are not one of
the people who use it.

Are they both somehow different from the plain "use" that one led to?

Use can be spotty and rare. Therefore general use covers a wider
range, but if you went to school you know that. I wonder why you ask.

And are they merely "common", or are they "especially common"?

Let me reword that: The broad use of "alloy" in lieu of aluminum is
common especially in bicycling.

I see you are a stickler for word order.

The vast majority of RBT anxiously (not eagerly) awaits your future
quibbles, which serve to remind us of your ineffable superiority.

Thanks for coming out of the closet and making contrition with your
belief in "ineffable superiority".

Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

Please stop saying "aluminum" when you mean "aluminum alloy"--someone
might quibble that you're promoting "sloppy talk" with your quibbles.

:-)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 10th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Apr 9, 3:14*pm, wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]

Mail oder bike parts employ IGS standards when prices fall below $70
leading to an unalloyed usage.
Old April 10th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Tom Sherman wrote:

Does anybody know the name (or names) of the famous alloy from
which high-end racing components are made? :] Whenever I see it
referred to in books and articles, it is just called "alloy," but
apparently there's a whole branch of engineering that's embodied
in that single word, and writers gloss over the whole subject when
they say that.

just like "plastic".

When I read "plastic", my first thought is non-recoverable
deformation. People do look at me weirdly for using "polymer" in
regular conversation.

The "plastic" battle is over as I see it. Plastic has been part of
English vernacular so long and with reasonable cause that, without
modifiers, it means a nonmetallic polymer. I doesn't lead to
misinterpretation as "alloy" does with metals, especially aluminum.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plastic

Jobst Brandt
Old April 10th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

RESINS MIT EINE SCHNITZER JA ?
Old April 10th 08, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

Carl Fogel wrote:

The vast majority of RBT anxiously (not eagerly) awaits your future
quibbles, which serve to remind us of your ineffable superiority.

Thanks for coming out of the closet and making contrition with your
belief in "ineffable superiority".

Jobst Brandt

Dear Jobst,

Please stop saying "aluminum" when you mean "aluminum alloy"--someone
might quibble that you're promoting "sloppy talk" with your quibbles.

*:-)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

While I must agree with the assessment of Jobst's self-belief of
"ineffable superiority," let's deal with the facts-
Both "alloy" and "aluminum" in common parlance of the mainstream of
current bicycle discussion (be it marketing or factual ) refer to "
aluiminum alloy." Perhaps sloppy, but that's the way it is in the
real world.

OK, for that matter, is UNalloyed aluminum used in ANY modern day
application where the constituent material is designated as
"aluminum?"

DR
Old April 10th 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Carl Fogel wrote:

[...]

Yes, as I posted elsewhere on this thread, as a corrosion resistant
cladding.

Old April 10th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Tom Sherman wrote:
"jim beam" wrote:
Agent Smith wrote:
Does anybody know the name (or names) of the famous alloy from which
high-
end racing components are made? :] Whenever I see it referred to in
books and articles, it is just called "alloy," but apparently there's
a whole branch of engineering that's embodied in that single word,
and writers gloss over the whole subject when they say that.

just like "plastic".

When I read "plastic", my first thought is non-recoverable deformation.

is it should be.

People do look at me weirdly for using "polymer" in regular
conversation.

you have many [many] faults, but that usage isn't one of them.