Bicycle helmets with wings.

Old July 24th 14, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Bicycle helmets with wings.

How to make a light weight helmet. As long as you're moving, the
wings provide lift, which makes the helmet feel lighter. (Ailerons,
flaps, and spoilers optional):
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hermes-Helmet/
http://cdn.instructables.com/FIW/0HNQ/HRTKK6CE/FIW0HNQHRTKK6CE.LARGE.jpg
http://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/arts/2014/07/16/cincinnati-opera-singer-shows-off-wings/12759505/
http://www.toyanxiety.com/images/view.aspx?productId=10833
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514671/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514601/in/photostream/

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 24th 14, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:46:08 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
How to make a light weight helmet. As long as you're moving, the

wings provide lift, which makes the helmet feel lighter. (Ailerons,

flaps, and spoilers optional):

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hermes-Helmet/

http://cdn.instructables.com/FIW/0HNQ/HRTKK6CE/FIW0HNQHRTKK6CE.LARGE.jpg

http://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/arts/2014/07/16/cincinnati-opera-singer-shows-off-wings/12759505/

http://www.toyanxiety.com/images/view.aspx?productId=10833

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514671/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514601/in/photostream/

I give up on you, Jeff. A clear case of Schwinn Second Childhood Syndrome.

Andre Jute

Old July 24th 14, 05:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 17:46:08 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

How to make a light weight helmet. As long as you're moving, the
wings provide lift, which makes the helmet feel lighter. (Ailerons,
flaps, and spoilers optional):
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hermes-Helmet/
http://cdn.instructables.com/FIW/0HNQ/HRTKK6CE/FIW0HNQHRTKK6CE.LARGE.jpg
http://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/arts/2014/07/16/cincinnati-opera-singer-shows-off-wings/12759505/
http://www.toyanxiety.com/images/view.aspx?productId=10833
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514671/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514601/in/photostream/

There is a fundamental flaw in the Hermes Helmet. Above a certain
velocity the helmet will provide sufficient lift to counteract the
weight of the bicycle and rider and at that time all traction will be
lost possibly resulting in severe accidents as the airborne "rider" is
unable to corner.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old July 24th 14, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:37:12 AM UTC+1, John B. Slocomb wrote:

There is a fundamental flaw in the Hermes Helmet. Above a certain

velocity the helmet will provide sufficient lift to counteract the

weight of the bicycle and rider and at that time all traction will be

lost possibly resulting in severe accidents as the airborne "rider" is

unable to corner.

That's not a bug, that's a feature. The rider will have taken not only the lane but the air over it, as is his right and duty.

Andre Jute
Old July 24th 14, 07:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:46:32 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:46:08 AM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
How to make a light weight helmet. As long as you're moving, the
wings provide lift, which makes the helmet feel lighter. (Ailerons,
flaps, and spoilers optional):
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hermes-Helmet/
http://cdn.instructables.com/FIW/0HNQ/HRTKK6CE/FIW0HNQHRTKK6CE.LARGE.jpg
http://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/arts/2014/07/16/cincinnati-opera-singer-shows-off-wings/12759505/
http://www.toyanxiety.com/images/view.aspx?productId=10833
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514671/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514601/in/photostream/

I give up on you, Jeff. A clear case of Schwinn Second Childhood Syndrome.
Andre Jute

I've never owned a Schwinn bicycle, so that's unlikely. My childhood
bicycle was a Peugeot 10 speed. It wasn't until I discovered that non
of the other kids had Peugeot bicycles, so I couldn't trade parts with
them, that I began to exhibit symptoms of Schwinn envy. In any case,
it's unlikely to be a 2nd childhood. I'm still on my first childhood
because I never grew up.

I also give up on you. I finally find an answer to your rhetorical
question: "Makes you wonder how light a cycle helmet could be and
still work right." I give you a good solution. Instead of actually
making the helmet lighter, I added wings to make it seem lighter. To
the rider, it's the same thing. I also offered you a collection of
creative and innovative helmet designs, all of which offer features
above and beyond what is commonly available. Instead of undying
praise and adulation, all you offer is a droll one liner. I'm
disappointed.

Some day, when football players, motorcycle riders, BMX acrobats, and
equestrian riders enjoy the benefits of superior protective headgear,
while the carnage continues among cyclists, you will probably look
back and wonder where cycling had lost its technical edge. It just
might be your unwillingness to embrace change and welcome new ideas.

Somewhat more seriously, my looking into attaching wings to a helmet
was not totally a joke. I have problems keeping my head up while
riding. I currently favor a comfort bicycle, which is more upright.
Even so, after about 30 minutes riding, my neck start to hurt. If I
ride my drop handlebar touring bicycle, it hurts after only 15
minutes. For a time, I was riding with a thin bungee cord connected
between the back of my helmet and my pants belt. The spring tension
reduces the weight load on my neck, which allows me to go much longer
without discomfort. For long rides, I still drag out the bungee cord.
I was thinking about my problem when I thought helmet wings might do
as well. That's when I realized that it might also be the answer to
your light weight helmet rhetorical question.

Old July 24th 14, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:37:12 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

There is a fundamental flaw in the Hermes Helmet. Above a certain
velocity the helmet will provide sufficient lift to counteract the
weight of the bicycle and rider and at that time all traction will be
lost possibly resulting in severe accidents as the airborne "rider" is
unable to corner.

You mean all these won't work?
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+with+wings&tbm=isch
It seems such a common design idea that at least one of these might
fly. I vaguely recall adding wings when I was very young. I flew
about 10ft before turning the front wheel into a potato chip by
smashing into a parked car.

Actually, there's a practical use for helmet wings. One of the major
problems with a hard shell helmet is the general lack of cooling
holes. However, if I cut the helmet in half horizontally and connect
the upper and lower parts with some manner of hinge mechanism, I would
expose the top of the head to the cooling wind. Raising the top part
while moving could easily be performed by attaching wings. In case of
an accident, the two parts would slam closed, lock, and perform as if
the helmet were one piece.

I should probably patent that idea. "Motion activated bifurcated
bicycle helmet mechanism for improved cranial cooling".
Old July 24th 14, 08:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I _knew_ someone on RBT was responsible for the American delusion that cycling is about keeping up with cars! But I suspected Jay of being the guilty party...

It wasn't until I discovered that non

of the other kids had Peugeot bicycles, so I couldn't trade parts with

them, that I began to exhibit symptoms of Schwinn envy. In any case,

it's unlikely to be a 2nd childhood. I'm still on my first childhood

because I never grew up.

I also give up on you. I finally find an answer to your rhetorical

question: "Makes you wonder how light a cycle helmet could be and

still work right." I give you a good solution. Instead of actually

making the helmet lighter, I added wings to make it seem lighter.

Reminds me too much of when I worked in advertising. Sell the sizzle, not the steak. Too close to the bone.

the rider, it's the same thing. I also offered you a collection of

creative and innovative helmet designs, all of which offer features

above and beyond what is commonly available. Instead of undying

praise and adulation, all you offer is a droll one liner. I'm

disappointed.

I wrote more about the sewer-racing helmet, but it was starting to sound a bit too much like Daniels' obsessions, so I scratched it to save the junior ears that may lurk.

Some day, when football players, motorcycle riders, BMX acrobats, and

equestrian riders enjoy the benefits of superior protective headgear,

while the carnage continues among cyclists, you will probably look

back and wonder where cycling had lost its technical edge. It just

might be your unwillingness to embrace change and welcome new ideas.

Eh? Seriously for a moment, the reason I rarely post technical articles here any more is because of the constant obstruction from the reactionaries. On another conference, where I'm thanked for such contributions, the highest number of hits for any post on a much-trafficked board is 150,000+ calls to my article about the n'lock, with my article on the chain glider as the second most popular, if I remember correctly. Some of that traffic sticks, and the conference grows precisely because everyone has a positive attitude, and you can get some work done, and get good advice without interference by mindless ego-trippers. Compare the constant tide of negativity on RBT, and all one can do is crack a few jokes.

Somewhat more seriously, my looking into attaching wings to a helmet

was not totally a joke. I have problems keeping my head up while

riding. I currently favor a comfort bicycle, which is more upright.

I have three comfort bikes. Triples the comfort, and it all comes out of the pocket of the physiotherapist, who previously I was keeping in an annually bigger Bimmer. I reckon anyone whose handlebars are lower than his saddle is doing it to himself. The only excuse for drops is masochism.

Even so, after about 30 minutes riding, my neck start to hurt. If I

ride my drop handlebar touring bicycle, it hurts after only 15

minutes. For a time, I was riding with a thin bungee cord connected

between the back of my helmet and my pants belt. The spring tension

reduces the weight load on my neck, which allows me to go much longer

without discomfort. For long rides, I still drag out the bungee cord.

I was thinking about my problem when I thought helmet wings might do

as well.

Your helmet is too heavy. Maybe you want to work instead on making it lighter, or you could work on alternative strategies, like riding only when dead drunk. According to figures published on this board, repeatedly, by whatsisface, drunks stand a better chance on the roads that responsible cyclists in their helmets.

That's when I realized that it might also be the answer to

your light weight helmet rhetorical question.

Nothing rhetorical about my question, Jeff. I really wanted to know whether a significantly better helmet need weigh hugely more than present, definitely short of optimal, helmets. And you've given me the Chapmanesque answer that I suspected all along: If you have cubic money, the weight need not increase proportionately to the protection. And I confidently predict that if the better helmet is made mandatory, the unit price will drop perpendicularly to not much more than twice the contemporary rate of inflation above the price of present helmets.

--

Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Andre Jute
It ain't rocket science, at least after Jeff and I have provided the answer
Old July 24th 14, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

There is a fundamental flaw in the Hermes Helmet. Above a certain
velocity the helmet will provide sufficient lift to counteract the
weight of the bicycle and rider and at that time all traction will be
lost possibly resulting in severe accidents as the airborne "rider" is
unable to corner.

You mean all these won't work?
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+with+wings&tbm=isch
It seems such a common design idea that at least one of these might
fly. I vaguely recall adding wings when I was very young. I flew
about 10ft before turning the front wheel into a potato chip by
smashing into a parked car.

They probably will work. But... I read of cyclists doing 100 KMH down
some of the hills in France. Try sticking your arm out of the car
window at 60 MPH and imagine if you had a wing attached.

Actually, there's a practical use for helmet wings. One of the major
problems with a hard shell helmet is the general lack of cooling
holes. However, if I cut the helmet in half horizontally and connect
the upper and lower parts with some manner of hinge mechanism, I would
expose the top of the head to the cooling wind. Raising the top part
while moving could easily be performed by attaching wings. In case of
an accident, the two parts would slam closed, lock, and perform as if
the helmet were one piece.

A good idea but you would need some sort of automatic closing device.
Perhaps similar to the air bags in a car where a blank shotgun shell
fires and the gas inflates the bag. To match the present helmets the
switch could be set for a force equal to a 14 MPH shock - about the
same as falling slightly under 1 meter and BAM your lid closes :-)

But to carry that idea a bit further, why not an inflatable suit with
the gas generator. A slight shock and BAM you inflate and go bouncing
down the hill like a beach ball.

see http://tinyurl.com/odlfdd7 for several preliminary design
concepts.

Old July 24th 14, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/ringhead.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 24th 14, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 7/24/2014 8:26 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/23/2014 7:46 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
How to make a light weight helmet. As long as you're moving, the
wings provide lift, which makes the helmet feel lighter. (Ailerons,
flaps, and spoilers optional):
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Hermes-Helmet/
http://cdn.instructables.com/FIW/0HNQ/HRTKK6CE/FIW0HNQHRTKK6CE.LARGE.jpg

http://www.cincinnati.com/picture-gallery/entertainment/arts/2014/07/16/cincinnati-opera-singer-shows-off-wings/12759505/

http://www.toyanxiety.com/images/view.aspx?productId=10833
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514671/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kfergos/4844514601/in/photostream/

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/ringhead.jpg

You should publish a book of photos.

Bicycle helmets Mr. Benn[_9_] UK 12 May 21st 12 09:00 AM
not only bicycle helmets AMuzi Techniques 9 May 19th 10 04:21 AM
Equestrian helmets as bicycle helmets? [email protected][_2_] General 19 December 27th 09 02:56 AM
alert! watch out for chicken wings. gabetheunicycleman Unicycling 8 February 25th 07 09:09 AM
WTB: Sweet Wings Cranks. Pista Marketplace 0 November 28th 05 05:39 AM