Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

Old July 29th 14, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Removing a freewheel - no wheel rim

jbeattie wrote:
:On Monday, July 28, 2014 3:57:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On Monday, July 28, 2014 4:23:52 PM UTC-4, wrote:
:
: On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:43:44 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
:
:
:
: Some guys prefer to half build the wheel on a scrap rim
:
: using the left flange but there's a real risk of twisting
:
: the hubshell so I don't suggest that.
:
:
:
: The OP doesn't care if the Campy hub is destroyed removing the
:
: freewheel - It's just the SunTour Winner freewheel he wants to save.
:
:
:
: Actually, I'd kind of like to keep the hub undamaged, too. I don't really
:
: have a use for it, but I'm sort of a junk collector - if Campy hubs can be
:
: considered junk.
:
:
:
: I was pretty excited by the impact wrench idea, since one of my best
:
: friends has a big compressor and impact set. But then I realized my
:
: 2-prong SunTour freewheel removal tool has just two flats in a
:
: cylindrical body, rather than a hex body.
:
:
:
: I suppose I could grind it to a hex, but at this point, it seems it
:
: might be easiest to just half-ass build it into one of the old rims I own.
:
: Fortunately, I'm sort of a junk collector.

:Unless I'm conceptualizing this wrong, an impact hammer is not going to
revent flange damage. You're still going to have to place the hub in a
:vice or other fixture

Nope. The impact wrench works by having a ratating hammer inside the
tool strike an anvil connected to the output. They deliver sharp,
short, impacts of torque to the fastener (or freewheel...), and so
will spin it off without imparting much rotation to the thing the
fastener is attached to. They're routinely used for spinning nuts off
pulleys of things like alternators, without having ot worry about how
to lock the shaft in place.

:You could try Muzi's approach but instead of using vice grips, use a strap wrench around the hub body. Considering the rim rotted off (how does that even happen?), the freewheel is probably welded to the hub, and a strap wrench won't do the trick.

Wood rim?

:-- Jay Beattie.

--
sig 14
Old July 29th 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 07:05:56 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

Unless I'm conceptualizing this wrong, an impact hammer is not going to prevent flange damage. You're still going to have to place the hub in a vice or other fixture and then apply force to the freewheel. And even if you build it in to a wheel, you'll need the right remover. I certainly would not build one with a grinder.

You could try Muzi's approach but instead of using vice grips, use a strap wrench around the hub body. Considering the rim rotted off (how does that even happen?), the freewheel is probably welded to the hub, and a strap wrench won't do the trick.

-- Jay Beattie.

With a good impact wrench you could hold the hub in one hand, the
impact in the other, and often spin the freewheel off with no other
tools required. Might want a good leather glove to hold the hub
Old July 30th 14, 02:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

Unless I'm conceptualizing this wrong, an impact hammer is not going to prevent flange damage. You're still going to have to place the hub in a vice or other fixture and then apply force to the freewheel. And even if you build it in to a wheel, you'll need the right remover. I certainly would not build one with a grinder.

You could try Muzi's approach but instead of using vice grips, use a strap wrench around the hub body. Considering the rim rotted off (how does that even happen?), the freewheel is probably welded to the hub, and a strap wrench won't do the trick.

-- Jay Beattie.

With a good impact wrench you could hold the hub in one hand, the

impact in the other, and often spin the freewheel off with no other

tools required. Might want a good leather glove to hold the hub

I had no idea. I have used an air tool to take off/put on lug nuts but that's about it. I would look in to this more if I had a freewheel on a hub with no rim -- or even just a freewheel on a hub with a rim. On my current bikes, however, I can get everything off with my selection of wrenches. The only difficult parts are pressed in.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 30th 14, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/29/2014 12:09 PM, David Scheidt wrote: jbeattie
wrote:

: Considering the rim rotted off (how does that even happen?...

Wood rim?

No, it was a tubular rim, very light weight. It was originally on a
custom recumbent trike that belonged to a guy who passed away. The trike
ended up stored for several decades in the damp basement of a friend who
had no interest in it.

I don't know the chemistry explanation, but when I got it, the portion
of the aluminum rim that was (I assume) in contact with the ground was
corroded almost completely in two. Of course, the wheel was thoroughly
collapsed.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Removing a freewheel Donald Gillies Techniques 11 July 4th 05 05:53 PM
Removing a freewheel Werehatrack Techniques 1 June 30th 05 03:57 PM
Removing a freewheel [email protected] Techniques 3 June 29th 05 08:10 PM
Removing a freewheel Klaus Techniques 0 June 28th 05 05:38 PM
Removing a freewheel jtaylor Techniques 1 June 28th 05 04:31 PM