Issues with folding bicycles on European trains?

Old June 25th 04, 12:06 PM
Tom Worthington

Default Issues with folding bicycles on European trains?

I wrote 3 May 2003 http://groups.google.com.au/groups?threadm=cf94a0b1.0305031653.3fe83456%40post ing.google.com:

My doctor prescribed a bicycle ... ended up with a Dahon "Boardwalk

6",
6 speed 20" folding bicycle, which has proved far more useful
than expected. ...

Was going to take the folding bicycle to the UK on Tuesday by aircraft
then Cambridge, Brussels, Berlin and Hamburg by train. Any issues or
suggestions?

If I put the bicycle in a carry bag I assume it can be taken as normal
luggage, as I did to Brisbane
http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/bb/brisbane.html. Bringing a similar
folding bicycle back from China, as it was not covered and had to be
separately checked in (where golf clubs are handled)
http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/bws/.

The intention is not to go on long cycling tours, just short day trips
around the city centre, with luggage left at a hotel. But here is
still the problem of transporting the bicycle and luggage to and from
planes and trains.

Putting the bicycle bag on top of a small wheeled cabin bag (with
luggage in it) when walking to the airport seems to work. For longer
distances, strapping the bag to the top of the bicycle carrier and
riding the bicycle seems to be workable. Because the bike has small
wheels the load is low down, about the level panniers would be on a
conventional bicycle. Towing the wheeled bag behind the bike carrier
(with the bag handle extended as a tow bar), seems to work. But the
bag wheels are too small and noisy for road use.

Will do a report on how it works out. Previous trip reports at
http://www.tomw.net.au/travel/Tourist.htm.

ps: I realize that specially designed hard cases are available to put
bicycles in, but I really can't see the point. A folded bicycle is
stronger than the case, so why have the case? The padded bag I have is
really more to protect everyone else's luggage from the bicycle. Also
with the soft case you can hide the bicycle if they are not allowed or
uncover it if there is a concession for bicycles.

Tom Worthington FACS
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University
Publications Director, Australian Computer Society
Old June 25th 04, 12:25 PM
Mark Dunn

You can hire a bike in any of the cities you mention.
Tom Worthington wrote in message
om...
I wrote 3 May 2003

http://groups.google.com.au/groups?t...3.3fe83456%40p

Old June 25th 04, 03:12 PM
Owain

"Tom Worthington" wrote
| Was going to take the folding bicycle to the UK on Tuesday by
| aircraft then Cambridge, Brussels, Berlin and Hamburg by
| train. Any issues or suggestions?

I don't know about Cambridge area trains specifically, but many British
trains have compartments specifically for (full-size) cycles, with restraint
straps and padlock points. Spaces are limited, requirements for reservations
and paying a fee will vary between train operating companies.

You might find the following useful:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/working/CycleTrain.aspx (UK National cyclists'
association)
http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail.html
http://www.pushbikes.freeserve.co.uk...uring/TOCs.htm
http://www.colc.co.uk/about/transport.html#ECycle (Cambridge local site)

Owain

Old June 25th 04, 03:26 PM
David Horne

Tom Worthington wrote:

Was going to take the folding bicycle to the UK on Tuesday by aircraft
then Cambridge, Brussels, Berlin and Hamburg by train. Any issues or
suggestions?

Definitely the most flexible option to take the folding bicycles. I
can't think of any form of public transport off-hand that would prohibit
you from taking them. Are there? Even our local ******* tram service
allows folding bicycles, where regular bikes are a no-no.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 25th 04, 03:28 PM
Peter File

| Was going to take the folding bicycle to the UK on Tuesday by
| aircraft then Cambridge, Brussels, Berlin and Hamburg by
| train. Any issues or suggestions?

I don't know about Cambridge area trains specifically, but many British
trains have compartments specifically for (full-size) cycles, with

restraint
straps and padlock points. Spaces are limited, requirements for

reservations
and paying a fee will vary between train operating companies.

IIRC the WAGN trains from Kings X to Cambridge don't have a big enough
guards compartment. I do however see quite a few people boarding with bikes
outside of peak hours. However a folding bike will be no problem.

Old June 25th 04, 04:01 PM
Tony Raven

Peter File wrote:

IIRC the WAGN trains from Kings X to Cambridge don't have a big enough
guards compartment. I do however see quite a few people boarding with bikes
outside of peak hours. However a folding bike will be no problem.

WAGN don't have a guards compartment at all. There are restrictions on
non-folding bikes into Cambridge and into London at certain peak times on
WAGN. These times a
- Monday to Friday on services south of Stevenage (Kings Cross/Moorgate
routes) and Broxbourne (Liverpool Street Routes) that terminate in London
between 07.00 and 09.29 or depart from London between 16.00 and 18.59.
- Monday to Friday on services between Audley End and Cambridge that depart
from or arrive at Cambridge between 07.45 and 08.45

If you are flying to Brussels they do not allow non-folding bikes on the
Stansted Express unless they are packed flat for air travel. Best put a black
binbag over your folding bike as they can be iffy about them even if there is
no restriction.

Tony

Old June 25th 04, 04:05 PM
David Damerell

Tom Worthington wrote:
Was going to take the folding bicycle to the UK on Tuesday by aircraft
then Cambridge, Brussels, Berlin and Hamburg by train. Any issues or
suggestions?

Folding bicycles may be transported on almost all UK trains (including
the ones you will be using) and the London Underground without trouble.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Old June 25th 04, 08:13 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Tom Worthington wrote:

Was going to take the folding bicycle to the UK on Tuesday by aircraft
then Cambridge, Brussels, Berlin and Hamburg by train. Any issues or
suggestions?

Taking a full size bike on a UK train involves negotiating a Kafkaesque
series of rules which vary from train company to train company,
depending on their type of rolling stock and their overcrowding problem
(despite the trains being rubbish, they're busier than ever!) Some
operators will not take bikes at all on some services, some require
pre-booking and with others you just turn up.

Folding bikes like Bromptons are always OK - I don't know how big your
bike is but if it's similar then you should have no problems.
Old June 25th 04, 09:22 PM
mark

"Tom Worthington" wrote

Was going to take the folding bicycle to the UK on Tuesday by aircraft
then Cambridge, Brussels, Berlin and Hamburg by train. Any issues or
suggestions?

www.nationalrail.co.uk will get you links to all the UK rail companies, each
of which has its own policies about bicycles (Why does a country the size of
the UK need 30 odd rail companies?). Most rail companies seem to treat a
folding bike in a case the way they would treat any comparably sized
suitcase, it's the fully assembled, full sized bicycles that become
troublesome. My own (very limited) experience taking a fully loaded tourer
on trains in the UK was not bad, other regulars on this NG seem to have a
limitless supply of horror stories.
--
mark

Old June 25th 04, 09:36 PM
Peter File

www.nationalrail.co.uk will get you links to all the UK rail companies,
each
of which has its own policies about bicycles (Why does a country the size

of
the UK need 30 odd rail companies?). Most rail companies seem to treat a
folding bike in a case the way they would treat any comparably sized
suitcase, it's the fully assembled, full sized bicycles that become
troublesome. My own (very limited) experience taking a fully loaded tourer
on trains in the UK was not bad, other regulars on this NG seem to have a
limitless supply of horror stories.

I've had OK experiences with just turning up. The major problem is crossing
London. It takes some nerve to cycle across London if your not used to
London drivers.