Redline Conquest

Old October 21st 19, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Redline Conquest

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:47:07 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 21 October 2019 10:41:09 UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 12:22:06 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 3:12:32 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 11:59:37 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Everyone always grinds lawyer's lips off as a first order of maintenance.

Really? On CF forks? Not me.

-- Jay Beattie.

As much as it pains me, I'll sort of agree with Tom on this. On all but one of my bikes I have ground off the tabs on the fork ends. The only fork I did not grind off is a carbon fork with an aero blade so the fork end is about 2 inches long. Can't grind that much metal off. All my carbon forks have aluminum dropouts, not carbon dropouts. So grinding is safe.

Even on carbon dropouts I grind off the laywer lips. On my CF bikes it is just a little carbon blob. Grinding, actually filling, off that little blob doesn't compromize the strength of your fork. It is as save as shorten your CF steerer tube or MTB handlebar. There is no load on that part.

Which brings up an irritation. With no fork tabs, you do not have to unscrew the dropout nut. Just flip the lever and the wheel falls out and goes back in perfectly. But sometimes when getting rides from friends, they will take the front wheel off my bike to put it on a rack. And when they take the front wheel off, the very first thing they do is start unscrewing the quick release nut. Which messes up my quick release width and I have to then readjust the dang thing when putting the wheel back on. Most bicyclists have been made stupid and dumb from this dumb fork tab feature. They no longer know how to correctly remove a front wheel on a bicycle.

+1 Laywer lips is an incredible stupid safety feature. Every time you take out your frontwheel creates a safety hazard.

An inconvenience, yes, but I don't think they're a safety hazard.

Lawyer Lips almost defeat the purpose of having a quick release.

I have them on a disc CX bike that has QRs, and they're not getting ground off. I also have them on a Emonda SLR frame, and they're not getting ground off. Why grind up a nice set of light CF forks? I'm not racing, and they do have a legitimate safety function. It takes 30 seconds to spin the QR nut, and in the event I zone out and forget to get the cam tight, I've got some back-up. I might think differently if super-fast wheel changes were an issue, but they're not. It's inconvenient for the wash stand and roof rack (rarely used -- mostly use a hitch rack), but I endure. I also endure with through axles.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 21st 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 5:35:01 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

They are because every time you can forget to adjust the QR correctly.

Lawyer Lips almost defeat the purpose of having a quick release.

I have them on a disc CX bike that has QRs, and they're not getting ground off. I also have them on a Emonda SLR frame, and they're not getting ground off. Why grind up a nice set of light CF forks? I'm not racing, and they do have a legitimate safety function. It takes 30 seconds to spin the QR nut, and in the event I zone out and forget to get the cam tight, I've got some back-up.

I might think differently if super-fast wheel changes were an issue, but they're not. It's inconvenient for the wash stand and roof rack (rarely used -- mostly use a hitch rack), but I endure. I also endure with through axles..

They are always an inconvenience and only a safety feature for something they created themselves.

Lou

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 21st 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/21/2019 10:41 AM, wrote:
[...]

Agreed.

But the "safety" problem forms a sort of lesson. I think some here often
forget how mechanically incompetent ordinary people can sometimes be.

I talked about the PhD electrical engineer who had to ask me to adjust
his bike's brakes. He's far from unique.

People that low level of mechanical aptitude should be directed toward
nutted axles, not quick releases. A suitable wrench can be light weight
and if necessary, made to be stored on the frame or under the saddle.

(Our Bikes Friday came with a double-ended Allen wrench that stows in a
hole in the bottle cage.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 21st 19, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/21/2019 11:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Not a huge hazard, but I think the hazard is there. Lawyer lips exist
specifically for the benefit of people who don't know how to adjust and
operate a quick release. But they force those people to re-adjust the
quick release every time they use it! That's just weird.

Admittedly, I haven't tried riding with a wheel loosely held in just by
the lawyer lips, so I don't know how much stability is lost. But to me,
it seems like a bad solution.

I think of it as perhaps the first "racing bike" feature that marketing
trickled down from enthusiasts to JRA folks, for no real practical reason.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 21st 19, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 9:31:55 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I have, but only for a brief while after taking a bike off a stand. Hit the brakes, and its a wake-up call.

I was in a race and looked down during a climb and saw that my cam was almost off -- from a quick wheel installation after getting to a race late, and that was on lip-less fork ends. I stopped, readjusted and slaughtered myself to get back on and got shelled later -- and made heroic efforts to get back on and then got shelled again and finished with some grupetto. I remember that race well for some reason.

OT, one reason I remember that race is because I did it year after year. Nasty climbing course, but when the cam came loose, I was riding behind a guy on a Softride with a disc rear wheel or three spoke or something that made the bike go whoo-whoo-whoo-whoo as the wheel went around. So, imaging following a guy on a pogo stick with a rear wheel that sounded like a distant helicopter. All he needed was an MP3 player/speakers blaring Die Walküre.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 21st 19, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 6:35:02 AM UTC-7, Zen Cycle wrote:
On Friday, October 18, 2019 at 11:06:54 AM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/p...-france-bikes/

Did you even bother to read that link, sparky? apparently not. Even the pictures show half the pro tour teams are riding discs.

Mindless paperwork queens are always trying to convince people that they
know what they're talking about even when they don't. Tell us Jr.,
why do you comment on things you know so little of?

Your link shows pictures of the following teams bikes - with disc brakes:

Bora-Hansgrohe
Deceuninck Quick-Step
Dimension Data
Team Katusha-Alpecin
Mitchelton-Scott

Sunweb and Wanty-Group are riding some bikes with discs, some bikes with rims.

Again, skippy, The link you posted directly contradicts your claim. So, who is it that doesn't know what they're talking about?

On the smartest day of your life you couldn't out-think a tin pan could you? Someone that claims to be the world's expert in anything and everything cannot even understand the English Language.
Old October 21st 19, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:41:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I have owned all sorts of carbon bikes and perhaps if I had something with carbon dropouts I probably wouldn't take them off but I've never seen anything but aluminum dropouts. I can't even see why you would use carbon dropouts since the material is not designed to have extreme pressure applied in the fashion of a quick release and there wouldn't be weight saved because the carbon would have to be thicker than normal and very dense.

Furthermore, all modern bikes have replaceable derailleur hangers and those cannot be screwed into carbon.
Old October 21st 19, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:
[...]

By feature I guess you mean quick release axles. How about drop bars?
Multi-speed freewheels as opposed to internally geared hubs? Toe clips?
Old October 21st 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

It was mandated by the Federal government through CPSC
regulations of 1974. At one time, there were a half-dozen
styles ranging from elegant to Rube Goldberg. The infamous
'lawyer lips' won out.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 21st 19, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 8:35:01 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

It probably isn't a good idea on a disk bike because the forces of the disk act in a direction to pull the wheel out of the dropout.