Redline Conquest

Old October 22nd 19, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Redline Conquest

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 22:33:48 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/21/2019 9:04 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 21 October 2019 20:54:11 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 07:47:05 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, 21 October 2019 10:41:09 UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, October 17, 2019 at 12:22:06 AM UTC+2, wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 3:12:32 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 11:59:37 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Everyone always grinds lawyer's lips off as a first order of maintenance.

Really? On CF forks? Not me.

-- Jay Beattie.

As much as it pains me, I'll sort of agree with Tom on this. On all but one of my bikes I have ground off the tabs on the fork ends. The only fork I did not grind off is a carbon fork with an aero blade so the fork end is about 2 inches long. Can't grind that much metal off. All my carbon forks have aluminum dropouts, not carbon dropouts. So grinding is safe.

Even on carbon dropouts I grind off the laywer lips. On my CF bikes it is just a little carbon blob. Grinding, actually filling, off that little blob doesn't compromize the strength of your fork. It is as save as shorten your CF steerer tube or MTB handlebar. There is no load on that part.

Which brings up an irritation. With no fork tabs, you do not have to unscrew the dropout nut. Just flip the lever and the wheel falls out and goes back in perfectly. But sometimes when getting rides from friends, they will take the front wheel off my bike to put it on a rack. And when they take the front wheel off, the very first thing they do is start unscrewing the quick release nut. Which messes up my quick release width and I have to then readjust the dang thing when putting the wheel back on. Most bicyclists have been made stupid and dumb from this dumb fork tab feature. They no longer know how to correctly remove a front wheel on a bicycle.

+1 Laywer lips is an incredible stupid safety feature. Every time you take out your frontwheel creates a safety hazard.

Lou

Lawyer Lips almost defeat the purpose of having a quick release.

Cheers

Really? I can't say that I have any problems removing a wheel, with a
quick release, from a fork with lawyer's lips.
--
cheers,

John B.

You have to turn the quick release lever to open the thing enough to get past those lawyer lips. Without the lawyer lips you just need to open the quick release to drop out the wheel.

The real problem IMO is not spinning the thing to loosen it enough.
Tht's easy. The problem is when reinstalling the wheel, you have a trial
and error exercise to get the clamping pressure correct.

I can reduce the trial and error a bit by holding the lever aligned with
the skewer as I tighten the nut on the other end, but it still requires
a bit of fussing.

It's not earth shaking, but it's a bit of inconvenience. So I file the
lips off the dropout.

And how tight to make it. I've taken the wheel off bikes where you had
to hammer the quick release lever to get it open.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 22nd 19, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/21/2019 8:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I have them on a disc CX bike that has QRs, and they're not getting ground off. I also have them on a Emonda SLR frame, and they're not getting ground off. Why grind up a nice set of light CF forks? I'm not racing, and they do have a legitimate safety function.

People grind them off on principle. "I'm smart enough to check the QRs
before each ride so why should I have to take three more seconds to
remove a wheel when fixing a flat or putting the bike on a fork mount rack?
Old October 22nd 19, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/21/2019 9:29 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/21/2019 9:07 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 21 October 2019 21:04:06 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 12:31:52 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/21/2019 11:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:
UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

An inconvenience, yes, but I don't think they're a
safety hazard.

Not a huge hazard, but I think the hazard is there.
Lawyer lips exist
specifically for the benefit of people who don't know
how to adjust and
operate a quick release. But they force those people to
re-adjust the
quick release every time they use it! That's just weird.

Admittedly, I haven't tried riding with a wheel loosely
held in just by
the lawyer lips, so I don't know how much stability is
lost. But to me,
it seems like a bad solution.

I did, for a short distance. I apparently didn't close
the quick
release or somehow knocked it open and started out. We
have speed
humps in the housing area and when I went over one I
thought the bike
felt funny so stopped and checked and Lo! The quick
release was loose.
The wheel didn't fall out, but I should point out that
happened once
in maybe 20 years :-)

I think of it as perhaps the first "racing bike" feature
that marketing
trickled down from enthusiasts to JRA folks, for no real
practical reason.

Naw, if we still used wing nuts people would be hammering
them "tight"
and stripping the threads and the wheels would be falling
out, perhaps
as often as they do today with quick releases :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Wasn't it because he couldn't loosen his wingnuts when it
was very cold that Tulio invented the quick release?

I think so. And I wonder how many here remember those wingnuts.

Very available for those who so desi
https://www.pashleycollection.co.uk/product/gb-wingnuts

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 22nd 19, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Problem solved:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ONE_UP.JPG

made in Richland County WI USA

Old October 22nd 19, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/22/2019 1:44 AM, John B. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

True, but trying to wiggle the wheel up under the fender or get both
ends of the axle in the slot while holding the rear derailer so the
chain is loose I almost always end up winding the quick release almost
off, lips or no lips :-(
--
cheers,

John B.

?? derailleur?

Rears don't have wheel retention devices as an unsecured
wheel simply drags on the chainstay without a rider safety
aspect.

Old October 22nd 19, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

We see that every day. Oil the QR cam.

Old October 22nd 19, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
Everyone always grinds lawyer's lips off as a first
order of maintenance.

Really? On CF forks? Not me.

-- Jay Beattie.

As much as it pains me, I'll sort of agree with Tom on
this.Â* On all but one of my bikes I have ground off
the tabs on the fork ends.Â* The only fork I did not
grind off is a carbon fork with an aero blade so the
fork end is about 2 inches long.Â* Can't grind that
much metal off.Â* All my carbon forks have aluminum
dropouts, not carbon dropouts.Â* So grinding is safe.

Even on carbon dropouts I grind off the laywer lips. On
my CF bikes it is just a little carbon blob. Grinding,
actually filling, off that little blob doesn't
compromize the strength of your fork. It is as save as
shorten your CF steerer tube or MTB handlebar. There is
no load on that part.

Which brings up an irritation.Â* With no fork tabs, you
do not have to unscrew the dropout nut.Â* Just flip the
lever and the wheel falls out and goes back in
perfectly.Â* But sometimes when getting rides from
friends, they will take the front wheel off my bike to
put it on a rack.Â* And when they take the front wheel
off, the very first thing they do is start unscrewing
the quick release nut.Â* Which messes up my quick
release width and I have to then readjust the dang
thing when putting the wheel back on.Â* Most bicyclists
have been made stupid and dumb from this dumb fork tab
feature.Â* They no longer know how to correctly remove
a front wheel on a bicycle.

+1 Laywer lips is an incredible stupid safety feature.
Every time you take out your frontwheel creates a
safety hazard.

Lou

Lawyer Lips almost defeat the purpose of having a quick
release.

Cheers

Really? I can't say that I have any problems removing a
wheel, with a
quick release,Â* from a fork with lawyer's lips.
--
cheers,

John B.

You have to turn the quick release lever to open the thing
enough to get past those lawyer lips. Without the lawyer
lips you just need to open the quick release to drop out
the wheel.

The real problem IMO is not spinning the thing to loosen it
enough. Tht's easy. The problem is when reinstalling the
wheel, you have a trial and error exercise to get the
clamping pressure correct.

I can reduce the trial and error a bit by holding the lever
aligned with the skewer as I tighten the nut on the other
end, but it still requires a bit of fussing.

It's not earth shaking, but it's a bit of inconvenience. So
I file the lips off the dropout.

Problem solved:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ONE_UP.JPG

made in Richland County WI USA

Wow. What will they think of next?

But I filed off the lips, so now I don't need one! :-/

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
Everyone always grinds lawyer's lips off as a
first order of maintenance.

Really? On CF forks? Not me.

-- Jay Beattie.

As much as it pains me, I'll sort of agree with Tom
on this.Â* On all but one of my bikes I have ground
off the tabs on the fork ends.Â* The only fork I did
not grind off is a carbon fork with an aero blade so
the fork end is about 2 inches long.Â* Can't grind
that much metal off.Â* All my carbon forks have
aluminum dropouts, not carbon dropouts.Â* So grinding
is safe.

Even on carbon dropouts I grind off the laywer lips.
On my CF bikes it is just a little carbon blob.
Grinding, actually filling, off that little blob
doesn't compromize the strength of your fork. It is
as save as shorten your CF steerer tube or MTB
handlebar. There is no load on that part.

Which brings up an irritation.Â* With no fork tabs,
you do not have to unscrew the dropout nut.Â* Just
flip the lever and the wheel falls out and goes back
in perfectly.Â* But sometimes when getting rides from
friends, they will take the front wheel off my bike
to put it on a rack.Â* And when they take the front
wheel off, the very first thing they do is start
unscrewing the quick release nut.Â* Which messes up
my quick release width and I have to then readjust
the dang thing when putting the wheel back on.Â* Most
bicyclists have been made stupid and dumb from this
dumb fork tab feature.Â* They no longer know how to
[...]

happenedÂ* once
in maybe 20 years :-)

I think of it as perhaps the first "racing bike" feature
that marketing
trickled down from enthusiasts to JRA folks, for no real
practical reason.

Naw, if we still used wing nuts people would be hammering
them "tight"
and stripping the threads and the wheels would be falling
out, perhaps
as often as they do today with quick releases :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Wasn't it because he couldn't loosen his wingnuts when it
was very cold that Tulio invented the quick release?

I think so. And I wonder how many here remember those wingnuts.

Very available for those who so desi
https://www.pashleycollection.co.uk/product/gb-wingnuts

Also available in a drawer in my basement! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 22nd 19, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:41:56 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:41:09 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I have owned all sorts of carbon bikes and perhaps if I had something with carbon dropouts I probably wouldn't take them off but I've never seen anything but aluminum dropouts.

Half of my CF forks have CF dropouts.

I can't even see why you would use carbon dropouts since the material is not designed to have extreme pressure applied in the fashion of a quick release and there wouldn't be weight saved because the carbon would have to be thicker than normal and very dense.

It is an integral part of the fork instead of glueing the aluminum insert in.
Old October 22nd 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 22, 2019 at 1:55:26 PM UTC+2, sms wrote:
On 10/21/2019 8:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

I have them on a disc CX bike that has QRs, and they're not getting ground off. I also have them on a Emonda SLR frame, and they're not getting ground off. Why grind up a nice set of light CF forks? I'm not racing, and they do have a legitimate safety function.

People grind them off on principle. "I'm smart enough to check the QRs
before each ride so why should I have to take three more seconds to
remove a wheel when fixing a flat or putting the bike on a fork mount rack?

On principle? Really? I think people who grind them off know what they doing and made a risk assessment for their situation before doing that. They don't need a snotty remark from someone who 'benefit' from lawyer lips.

Lou