Front page of NY Times? Time to give up your fixies!

Old April 29th 07, 08:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

Default Front page of NY Times? Time to give up your fixies!

They're too popular!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/ny...=1&oref=slogin

I don't think you need a login for that -- at least, I don't remember
logging in.

Nice article. Someone want to send it into the Shun?

--
TimC
My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 cents a can.
Old April 29th 07, 12:01 PM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_89_]

TimC Wrote:
They're too popular!

http://tinyurl.com/2a26ea

I don't think you need a login for that -- at least, I don't remember
logging in.

Nice article. Someone want to send it into the Shun?

--
TimC
My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 cents a
can.
Thats almost $7.00 in dog money. -Joe Weinstein in ARK

I like these quotes... pretty much sums up fixies and bike riding:-

- there are more bikes than cars in the world, and bikes have a
longer popular history, not to mention the fact that fixed-gear bikes
predate “regular” bikes
- “When you’re on a fixed gear,” said Ms. Germanotta, who works in
the garment district, “it gives you a higher skill level. You have to
be constantly aware, always watching the road. You don’t just ride,
and it feels a little crazy.”
- “You take the blame if you get hit,” he said. “It’s self-reliance,
being responsible for yourself. It might sound kind of corny, but
it’s a Zen thing, being one with the bike.”
- “I had a couple of friends who made fun of me for riding one
because it was trendy,” Ms. Escamilla said. “But the problem with
looking at bike riding as a trend is that you lose sight of
everything that is positive about bikes. You know, the renewable
energy source, exercise, convenience, saving money, saving time,
community, seeing the city in a whole new way, blah blah blah.”
Besides, she added: “Track bikes are fun. And they’re beautiful.”

--
rooman

Old April 30th 07, 12:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
warrwych[_35_]

rooman Wrote:
[...]

that says it all - no other words needed

--
warrwych

Old April 30th 07, 11:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
ritcho[_6_]

warrwych Wrote:
"track bikes are fun. And they're beautiful"

that says it all - no other words needed

I s'pose my fixie isn't really a track bike.

I s'pose it isn't really beautiful either.

But it's fixed and it works.

Ritch

--
ritcho

climb times web page Peter McCallum Australia 5 April 10th 06 11:40 AM
Times letters' page wafflycat UK 0 September 6th 05 09:04 AM
OK, one more time - where did she finish and how many times? Curtis L. Russell Racing 0 June 10th 05 06:53 PM
Cycle Lanes (Times Letters Page) Steve Peake UK 29 July 3rd 04 01:06 PM
Time to Give Up Your Card and Ride? M Bison Australia 3 May 18th 04 11:29 PM