Shimano Alfine 8 Internal Rear Hub - Reliability? Durability? Functionality?

Old October 4th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fitz

Default Shimano Alfine 8 Internal Rear Hub - Reliability? Durability? Functionality?

See:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/

Comments are appreciated!

Old October 4th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
Fitz wrote:

See:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/

Comments are appreciated!

Has anyone established what the differences are between the Alfine and
the Nexus Red Line 8-speed hubs yet?

My dream bike is more like Sheldon's recently-mentioned (but created by
Harris Cyclery in 2006 or so) San Jos8, which is basically a UCI-legal
cyclocross bike with a Red Line 8 hub.

Old October 4th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 3, 10:23 pm, Fitz wrote:
See:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/

Comments are appreciated!

Shimano gear hubbed bikes are excellent. However, you can get such a
bike for 1/2-2/3 the cost of that Trek model. Disc brakes for city
bikes only serve as an indicator for thieves, plus make mounting racks
and fenders a real kludge. Cheap linear pull brakes work better than
any urban rider needs-- especially with quality pads, bring the cost
of a bike down considerably, and allow for normal mounting of
accessories. Unfortunately, there's not one Soho model that fits that
description.

However, you can get something better for half the price, a Jamis
Commuter 3.0. It's not an Alfine hub, but a Nexus, which are still
very good. It's got much nicer handlebars that won't make your
shoulders ache, and even comes with fenders. Spend less, get more,
discard hype. It even comes with dual pivot brakes, which are a little
easier to modulate than the linear pull models, and plenty powerful.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...commuter3.html

Old October 4th 07, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

To follow up, you asked about durability, reliability. I've bragged
endlessly about my lesser Nexus-7 hub for years, that was utterly
reliable for 30K. Never a bad shift, just replace the chain with a
cheap bmx style every 3K and adjust the barrel adjuster on the cable
every so often so the little red dots line up. That's it. It's an
appliance.

They do make removing a rear wheel tricker, so practice fixing a flat
with the wheel still in the triangle at home. Open up just a bit of
tire, and pull out a little hernia for patching. Make sure to carry a
screwdriver or whatever they use now to secure the anti-rotation arm,
plus a $2 open ended wrench from Sears for your axle nuts in addition
to a patch kit/tube. Practice removing the wheel as well--see if your
shop can teach you.

Chances are though, unless you ride through some real nasties, that
most tough hybrid tires, like what usually come with Nexus/Alfine
hubs, will go long between flats.

That Jamis I linked to is a seriously nice bike for $535. I'd have one
parked in the hall if it didn't involve a drive to the nearest shop
that stocks them around here--in Chattanooga, and seeing as they're
hosting the secession conference right now--I'll keep clear.

Old October 4th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 3, 11:59 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

My dream bike is more like Sheldon's recently-mentioned (but created by
Harris Cyclery in 2006 or so) San Jos8, which is basically a UCI-legal
cyclocross bike with a Red Line 8 hub.

Yum! Me too. That's such a rational bike, my ears get all pointy just
thinking about it.

Old October 4th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Oct 3, 10:23 pm, Fitz wrote:
See:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/

Comments are appreciated!

$1100 for a $600 bike! No wonder Trek dealers are enthusiastic!

Anyone notice on the Trek site that Trek is flogging both financing
("Ride now, pay later") and extended warranties? What's next?
Rustproofing, pinstriping and leasing? Oh, and "paint protectant"?

Geez........

Old October 4th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

On Oct 4, 10:25 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Oct 3, 10:23 pm, Fitz wrote:

See:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/

Comments are appreciated!

$1100 for a $600 bike! No wonder Trek dealers are enthusiastic!

Anyone notice on the Trek site that Trek is flogging both financing
("Ride now, pay later") and extended warranties? What's next?
Rustproofing, pinstriping and leasing? Oh, and "paint protectant"?

Geez........

How does that financing stuff work out for you shopowners?

?s

Old October 4th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Oct 3, 10:23 pm, Fitz wrote:

See:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/

Comments are appreciated!

$1100 for a $600 bike! No wonder Trek dealers are enthusiastic!

Anyone notice on the Trek site that Trek is flogging both financing
("Ride now, pay later") and extended warranties? What's next?
Rustproofing, pinstriping and leasing? Oh, and "paint protectant"?

Geez........

How does that financing stuff work out for you shopowners?

?s

Ask a Trek dealer. Mike???

Old October 4th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 4, 9:25 am, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Oct 3, 10:23 pm, Fitz wrote:

See:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...n/soho/soho40/

Comments are appreciated!

$1100 for a $600 bike! No wonder Trek dealers are enthusiastic!

That's about what I think it's worth as well. Those Shimano cable
discs are just nasty. I'd rather have some $5 OEM Tektro 530 LP brakes
with Kool-Stops. You don't notice rotor rub when you're crunching
through the woods, but on the street, it's like a dripping faucet.
Plus, the Shimanos aren't nice feeling or even powerful, and are a
bitch to adjust. All to move the bike from the sales floor. Cripes.

I understand it works. I had a disced hybrid for six months last year,
a Brodie, as it was cheap (the brakes were actually a turn-off)--with
the same brakes, and they attracted tons of attention. Everybody
wanted to compliment me on the bike, and every evening I'd spend time
trying to quiet the brakes and get rid of rotor rub.

People claim, "but disc brakes work when your rims go out of true."
Well, tune your wheels properly and they'll virtually never go out of
true. It's a boogeyman. However, your discs can easily get knocked out
of whack at the Starbuck's bike rack. Again, not discounting them for
mtbs that hit the trails, but I'm sick of the things popping up on
city rides. Especially horrible ones.

Anyone notice on the Trek site that Trek is flogging both financing
("Ride now, pay later") and extended warranties? What's next?
Rustproofing, pinstriping and leasing? Oh, and "paint protectant"?

Simonizing! Smokers package! Ipod ready!

Old October 4th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 4, 7:44 am, landotter wrote:
On Oct 4, 9:25 am, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Oct 3, 10:23 pm, Fitz wrote:

[...]

Well, bad brakes are bad brakes, but I'm not so sure discs are a bad
idea. Maybe I say that because not even my MTB has discs. But the
perceived advantages I see are more consistent power in mucky
conditions (discs tend to stay away from mud, all but the deepest
puddles, and snow, so you don't get those peachy moments where you
squeeze the brakes and it takes a second for the rims to clear the
water). You also get to replace discs (held on by six bolts, or in the
case of the new Shimano design, no bolts at all) rather than change
rims when your wear wear out. And I don't know what real-world disc
lifespan is like, but my guess would be it at least matches rim life,
at least in crappy conditions (I come from Vancouver; mucky weather is
a way of life).

Anyone notice on the Trek site that Trek is flogging both financing
("Ride now, pay later") and extended warranties? What's next?
Rustproofing, pinstriping and leasing? Oh, and "paint protectant"?

Why not finance your primary transportation method?

Simonizing! Smokers package! Ipod ready!

http://www.aspireauctions.com/auctio...ails/3782.html
http://www.ihomeaudio.com/products.asp?product_id=10186

Shimano 10-speed durability? Dave Techniques 8 March 31st 07 12:14 AM
Shimano Alfine Tosspot UK 3 February 6th 07 11:21 AM
Shimano Alfine Tosspot Techniques 0 February 6th 07 09:36 AM
Shimano Alfine. First impressions. Dan Burkhart Techniques 6 November 10th 06 09:34 PM
Reliability/durability of internal gear hub? [email protected] Techniques 3 October 1st 03 12:13 AM