My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

Old December 11th 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Default My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

John - My wheel is not as stiff, but that is simply because it is a
loose wheelbuild, I am bringing it by the LBS to have it tensioned
today. Even with a loose wheelbuild though, I didn't notice any problem
with it flexing, it feels great(this may be the fact that Ken said that
the frame is quite stiff). Most of my experience has been on the extra
wide hubs, but it feels a lot better having a narrower hub. This set up
is amazing, and I can only imagine how great it will feel having a 29er
tube, shaved tire, and my mg-1s.

Ken - After riding my kh/schlumpf 36, I don't think I will ever yearn
for an ungeared 36 ever again.

And yeah...so far no knee problems! It really does feel like riding a
bike and I haven't had sore knees yet, but I only took it out for 10-15
miles yesterday.

I took it up some hills yesterday and I definitely feel the weight of
the wheel when trying to climb in high gear, having a lighter tube may
help, but climbing in high gear feels like riding a heavy/slow bike.
Simply shifting into low gear makes everything nicer though. Riding in
high gear on flat or slight downhill or slight inclines feels amazing
though.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name
Old December 12th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TonyMelton

Klaas Bil;1147052 wrote:
You might be the first comsumer (household, technically) worldwide that
has three Schlumpfs.

Right now there are four KH-Schlumpf hubs at Peter Bier's house. One is
Peter's in KH29er and 'the other three are for sale'
(http://tinyurl.com/69yyp5)!

--
TonyMelton

'Take a squizz at my YouTube videos!'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/unimeltdown)
Old December 12th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nathan

Nice photos James! Here is the data from Florian about hub width:

1. Old version

distance between midth of bearings: 90mm
distance between flanges (where the spokes are mounted): 55mm
for bearings d40x12
axle with square ends
comes with torque lever

2. New KH version:

distance between midth of bearings: 100mm
distance between flanges (where the spokes are mounted): 70mm
axle for ISIS cranks
doesn’t need a torque lever
for bearings d42x12
fits all KH frames from model year 2007 or younger (see details on
http://www.schlumpf.ch )

3. New FS version:

distance between midth of bearings: 100mm
distance between flanges (where the spokes are mounted): 70mm
axle with square ends
doesn’t need a torque lever
for bearings d40x12
fits any frame, which is made for bearings d40x12, with clamped bearing
holders (not just pressed in bearings, because there is a torque on this
part)

The UDC Extra Wide hub (and our previous Tom Miller custom hubs) are
100mm as is the Nimbus ISIS Super Wide:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1304

The wheel feels fine (assuming high-quality spokes and wheel build).
You can ride off drops and it doesn't wobble like the old narrow Coker
wheels. I don't do drops of more than 18" or so but it feels solid
enough. The real test is brakes. A normal HS33 works fine. You can crank
as hard as you want climbing and the pads don't rub. Beau and Corbin and
Chuck did some 20mph riding on bumpy dirt (insane!) and they worked
fine. I broke my all time uni speed record the other day and it was an
anticlimax - no big deal at all and I wasn't even trying to go fast. It
was 20.9mph, slightly faster than my fastest ungeared speed. Rock
solid.

---Nathan

--
nathan
Old December 12th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

TonyMelton;1148009 wrote:
Right now there are four KH-Schlumpf hubs at Peter Bier's house.

I once had all of the geared unicycle hubs in the world in my living
room.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old December 12th 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

harper;1148106 wrote:
I once had all of the geared unicycle hubs in the world in my living
room.

Heh, I once had the only geared unicycle in the Southern Hemisphere

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old December 12th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

nathan;1148013 wrote:

The UDC Extra Wide hub (and our previous Tom Miller custom hubs) are
100mm as is the Nimbus ISIS Super Wide:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1304

I'm not sure that page is right - I'd guess that the new hub has 128mm
bearing spacing, like the old super-wide hub, otherwise that hub and the
normal nimbus isis are identical.

http://tinyurl.com/6al2ua

With the old hubs, it used to be 100mm between flanges, which was 128mm
between bearings.

For what it's worth though, my coker was always on a suzue hub, with
only 90mm bearings, but with quite a tight wheelbuild and that didn't
have excessive wobblyness.

Joe

--
joemarshall

' old pics' (http://tinyurl.com/56yl2f) 'new zealand pics'
(http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o...rshall_photos/) 'new pics'
(http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/joemarshall.org.uk)
'Where have I been riding? (GPS) ' (http://tinyurl.com/6fxw5x)
Old December 12th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

GizmoDuck;1148109 wrote:
Heh, I once had the only geared unicycle in the Southern Hemisphere.

I currently have the only Titanium unicycle I know of in the Southern
Hemisphere

I have the most Ti unicycle in Canada, and possibly the world. With the
hub, frame, and pedals all Ti!

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 12th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Smilymarco

ntappin;1148208 wrote:
I have the most Ti unicycle in Canada, and possibly the world. With the
hub, frame, and pedals all Ti!

Pedals and hub here Planning on getting a Ti-Nimbus frame as soon as
they are out.

--
Smilymarco

'Municycle.com' (http://www.municycle.com)
Lesen - Denken - Posten
Old December 12th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

poor little rich kids

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 12th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Smilymarco

Im paying everything myself. Well... not everything... but im working
for it

36’’ Schlumpf hendyjr05 Unicycling 31 October 29th 07 11:58 PM
36’’ Schlumpf Daytripper63 Unicycling 0 October 27th 07 12:16 AM
My new Schlumpf Tigger Unicycling 12 February 20th 07 09:00 PM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 06:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 11th 05 11:37 PM