Giving up

Old August 8th 05, 11:34 AM
kokomojuggler

Default Giving up

I tend to juggle during the week and unicycle on the weekends, so giving
up unicycling would mean giving up my weekends!!!

I can juggle on an unicycle and I can idle on a unicycle, but I've yet
to juggle while idling.

--
kokomojuggler - Coker Rider

Kokomo Juggler
-All Glory to God
kokomojuggler's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4925

Old August 8th 05, 12:11 PM
katch22

vicuniclub wrote:
* I for one am tierd of people thinking i am from the circus or that
you have to juggle in order to unicycle. I think unicycling would get
a lot more respect if we could just show people that there are two
sides of it. sport and stage unicycling, there's a diffrence people.
*

For real! As a fairly new unicyclist -- who has only in the last couple
weeks started riding around my neighborhood and local park -- I can't
belive how frequently people ask how well I can juggle or if I am part
of a circus!!! It is too bad there is such a comical stigma around
unicycling.

Note: I do enjoy juggling, though I am not good at it, but I do not find
it in any way similar to unicycling nor do I ever plan to combine the
two which just seems pointless to me.

--
katch22 - She called me a one wheeled ******.

-.-- --- ..- / .-- .... .- - ..--..
--- -. / .- / .-- .... .- - ..--..
katch22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10181

Old August 8th 05, 01:09 PM
Nimrod

I get the circus thing a fair bit too, but the odd thing is i don't know
if some people are actually joking or they seriously think i'm
joining/from a circus
(it must be a pretty bodge circus to hire me as a unicyclist but i guess
they don't consider that)

The whole circus/unicycling thing annoys me though, as has anyone
actually seen a unicyclist at a circus or is it just the ones that come
around here that are appaulingly unicyclistless?

--
Nimrod - lesson 1 - wear shoes

I'm the only the only unicyclist in the village!!
Nimrod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10434

Old August 8th 05, 01:29 PM
Skippii

That's a tough one.
Probably about equal, even though these days I uni a lot more than
juggle.
I uni mostly alone, and juggle mostly with others. So, if I was in an
anti-social mood....juggling.

--
Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822

Old August 8th 05, 01:40 PM
Brian MacKenzie

i'd give up unicycling and just juggle unicycles

--
Brian MacKenzie - Infection is your finest flower

'TRAINING WHEEL NOT REQUIRED DVD - NOW AVAILABLE!'
(HTTP://WWW.LBMMULTIMEDIA.COM)

'ps. just watched TWNR, the UW36 on the stairs broke my brain' - markf

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://londonunicyclingclub.ca/unicycleReviews.aspx)
*122* reviews on *79* products, never make an uninformed purchase again!

Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old August 8th 05, 04:26 PM
unign

It seems that everybody is assuming that I said that unicycling was
invented with juggling in mind, but you're ignoring one line of my
post

unign posted:
(yeah, I know, unicycling was invented for stuff other than that) but
juggling was what kept it alive.

so I said that unicycling wasn't invented for juggling, it was invented
when penny farthings were around. People died on penny farthings
occasionally when they would hit a bump and their back wheel popped up,
but some people could continue riding sort of like a moving endo.

I stand by my point that juggling is what kept unicycling alive,
unicycling is a very rapidly growing sport, and you know who unicycles,
people who are interested, duh. So when people at a park see you and
think of juggling they are interested, they are the audience that keeps
it alive, and when I think of circus I think of juggling on a unicycle,
which, come on, I can idle and it came pretty easily to juggle while
idling after that (2 hours).

And I said that unicycling was a circus art, which it is, and I said
that it has branched out into more than that, the more sporty side,
which, I'm sorry to all you muni people and trials people, but you are
practicing a circus art, doesn't matter if you're juggling. I do trials
and I couldn't care less that it's a circus art, in fact, I'm proud of
it. Denial and ignorance go hand in hand, and they are both something
that you can stop practicing.

--
unign - Rapidly approaching level 4
unign's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10305

Old August 8th 05, 05:58 PM
steveyo

I love juggling, but I would quit that, or any other hobby or sport, to
keep unicycling. Unicycling just rocks.

The relationship of juggling and uni goes beyond the fact they're
practised and performed together. You can play soccer first try, but
uni and juggling are skills requiring -physical- learning to do at all.
Your mind alone can't do them, your body needs to learn it, too.
Granted, soccer skills certainly improve with physical practice, but you
can do the sport with no practice. Not so with uni'ing or juggling.

With uni, this is when your hips and core begin to "realize" where
they're supposed to turn, your legs learn to relax, and your feet learn
when to start up the power.

With juggling, the physical learning is your eyes learning where to
look, your arms getting the knack of low-effort tosses with consistant
trajectories, and a sort of neck-craned shuffle when you have to chase
your pattern around.

Three ball juggling is much easier to learn than unicycling, IMO.
Because the throws don't to be perfect, your body learns the pattern
quickly. I just taught 2 1-week camp classes to 6th-8th graders, and
almost all of them qualified 3 balls by the end (that's 6 catches for 3
balls), and a few of them were getting 100+ catches.

I've spent 1.5 years pursuing a 5 ball cascade, and I can say the
control required takes the body quite a lot of learning.

--
steveyo - got the rhythm

steveyo

"If your feet are cold, cover your head."
- eskimo proverb

"The place you buy special pants for big-balled men also sells very
small hats."
- me

Old August 8th 05, 10:46 PM
vicuniclub

circus art as you have sugessted. well they may have been at one time.
but as you have said they have become more then that, they have evolved.
So to say that they were at one point a circus art could well be
acurate, to say they still are is not at all acurate. it would be like
saying we are still apes, and are not humans. Well we were once apes we
have evolved, and as such are our own species. just like muni trials and
street unicycling, they have evoled to the point to which they are no
longer "circus arts", they are there own indivual "species". Moreover
they are no longer used in circus acts as such, for they have evolved to
a point where they are no longer useful in a circus. perhaps at an
extreme sport expo, but not a circus.

--
vicuniclub - Trial/Muni rider
vicuniclub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10052

Old August 8th 05, 11:13 PM
johnfoss

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
*Support that "surprise." It definately doesn't play out here in
Texas.

For Texas:
Most jugglers cannot unicycle. -true
Most unicyclists cannot juggle. -false
*

I will submit that you are not an expert on the unicyclists of Texas,
but then again neither am I. I do not expect Texas to have a higher
incidence of juggler/unicyclists than other states. If your unicycling
background is indoor or juggling club-related, you will tend to see many
more jugglers around unicycles than average.

Unfortunately I don't have any good way of describing the lack of
juggling skills I have noticed among unicyclists over the years. One way
to get a very rough idea might be to do a poll here, though here you
usually only get very small responses from our atypical group of
unicyclists.

Beoyond that, all I can offer is that in my many years of unicycling I
have been exposed to thousands of unicycle riders from all backgrounds
and countries, and the vast majority of them (2/3 or more) are not
jugglers. Not that they mightn't be interested, but they don't do it.
*BTW: I learned to "juggle 3 objects" after I knew how to unicycle. *

Me too. At the time I felt it was the obvious thing to do, to have
something to do with my hands while riding! Later I taught juggling for
a living (among other basic circus skills) with the National Circus
Project.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old August 8th 05, 11:13 PM
johnfoss

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
[...]

MUni means ticks. Deal with it. Not giving up the MUni Memphis Mud Unicycling 13 September 24th 06 03:48 AM
"Reward" for giving way. Simon Mason UK 14 December 5th 04 10:20 PM
Giving up JBB UK 31 November 21st 04 10:23 PM
Giving up Zog The Undeniable UK 2 August 23rd 04 06:35 PM
Why is the BBC giving space to this twit? dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 75 April 22nd 04 10:30 AM