What happened here

Old February 5th 13, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default What happened here

On 05/02/13 22:43, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 21:34:22 -0600, "Tom $herman"
wrote:

On 2/4/2013 4:34 PM, James wrote:
I've had similar experiences with car mechanics. Consequently it takes
me ages to develop some trust in anyone tinkering with my vehicles, and
only resort to using someones services when I really don't have the
capacity (tools, space, time, expertise) to perform the service/repair
myself.

Here we have "mechanics" who tighten lugs nuts with an air-impact wrench
at full torque setting. Great fun jumping on the end of lug wrench
trying to break the nuts loose while traffic whizzes by.

But I'll bet they never have a customer come back complaining about
the wheel falling off :-)

I had a car "fixed" by a mechanic for a road worthy cert., so I could
get it registered in my name. There was a problem with the self
adjusting rear drums. The mech found some second hand parts and
installed them for me.

Driving up the highway, around every corner I could hear this strange
"dongle dongle dongle" sound. At the top of Mt Slide I had deduced what
it was, and offered my girlfriend at the time, a cup of coffee. While
she drank her coffee, I tightened the wheel nuts properly.

Obviously the mechanics air-impact wrench was malfunctioning the day he
"repaired" my car.

--
JS.
Old February 5th 13, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Feb 5, 2:30*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

My father had a similar experience.
It seems that wheels depart the vehicle at least as often as a result
of overtightening as undertightening.

As a result, I always check with a torque wrench, unless I've
personally observed the fitter/mechanic using one (including checking
the adjustment before applying it to the wheel nuts/bolts).-

as a semi-truck driver one thing I learned to do is a quick tap the
nuts of the wheels with a steel hammer before heading on the road,
properly torqued each one will return a harmonious ping- a loosening
nut sounds distinctly off-key
Old February 5th 13, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 02/05/2013 05:37 PM, raamman wrote:
On Feb 5, 2:30 pm, Phil W Lee wrote:

My father had a similar experience.
It seems that wheels depart the vehicle at least as often as a result
of overtightening as undertightening.

As a result, I always check with a torque wrench, unless I've
personally observed the fitter/mechanic using one (including checking
the adjustment before applying it to the wheel nuts/bolts).-

as a semi-truck driver one thing I learned to do is a quick tap the
nuts of the wheels with a steel hammer before heading on the road,
properly torqued each one will return a harmonious ping- a loosening
nut sounds distinctly off-key

Probably not a good idea on a passenger car with the lug bolt heads
recessed into holes in the expensive alloy wheels... but an interesting
idea nonetheless.

I've also seen, in the past decade or so, "indicators" on the lug nuts
of large trucks, like this:

http://www.wheel-check.com/

(please excuse the embedded video, it was the first hit I found)

Now whether those really work or not, I can't say, but in theory it
provides a visual indication as soon as one of the lugs goes slack.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old February 5th 13, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

yup always check tprque when leaving BIG TIRE esp BIG GHETTO TIRE.
ad nau...oil changer/tire man may be a nayborhood retard operating at max potential.

Big deal is many doahn owe fealty to the manufacturer's product but to a higher goal of WORLD RULER or MORALS AND ETHICAL STANDARDS JUDGE AND EXECUTIONER.

Lotta folk are into territory T'HIS IS MY TERRITORY you gotta go homr go homr gop home' as you try to give them a solid $150

WE ARE CRIMINALS comes next or nworser WE ARE IMPORTANT CRIMINAL DOING IMPORTANT CRIMINAL STUFF like smelling our asssholes

In California involved in significant earthquake research almos all my business contacts were the two preceeding paragraphs. In Fla its the last.

cant givum $$$ daze too importante
Old February 5th 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:42:58 PM UTC-5, datakoll wrote:
yup always check tprque when leaving BIG TIRE esp BIG GHETTO TIRE.

ad nau...oil changer/tire man may be a nayborhood retard operating at max potential.

Big deal is many doahn owe fealty to the manufacturer's product but to a higher goal of WORLD RULER or MORALS AND ETHICAL STANDARDS JUDGE AND EXECUTIONER.

Lotta folk are into territory T'HIS IS MY TERRITORY you gotta go homr go homr gop home' as you try to give them a solid $150

WE ARE CRIMINALS comes next or nworser WE ARE IMPORTANT CRIMINAL DOING IMPORTANT CRIMINAL STUFF like smelling our asssholes

In California involved in significant earthquake research almos all my business contacts were the two preceeding paragraphs. In Fla its the last.

cant givum $$$ daze too importante

.. . . . . . . .

practically tho, lugs should be wire brushed. BOSCH has excellent round brushed forure 3/8" Geebutoe. Clean nuts witha plumbers copper pipe brush. Wipe down with CHOH, mount the CLEAN WHEEL on a CLEAN HUB SURFACE ( Smear rusto white primer on brushed contacts ) my hubs are painted nyah nyah nyah....to see where the nuts wind up then squirt fresh Locktite Blue EOM well shaken off course onto the lug AND inside the nut just to coat the lug as the nut goes on with your bearing/sleeve cross wrench. Then get a deep reach socket, 1/2" ratchet and 2' water iron water pipe properly oblomnged and torque the sucker down to factory specs using a black flet marker to show where yawl been n doin ifn your flipping brain is shot from Bud...

then coat lugs with Pedro's 2.0 bean sure the lug/nut gap is wax filled.

whew ! all afternoon rotating tires. MF.

The clean shiny lugs/nuts/clean wheel generate respect at GJHETTO TIRE

you bet
Old February 6th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom $herman

wrote:
On 2/4/2013 4:34 PM, James wrote:
I've had similar experiences with car mechanics. Consequently it takes
me ages to develop some trust in anyone tinkering with my vehicles, and
only resort to using someones services when I really don't have the
capacity (tools, space, time, expertise) to perform the service/repair
myself.

Here we have "mechanics" who tighten lugs nuts with an air-impact wrench
at full torque setting. Great fun jumping on the end of lug wrench
trying to break the nuts loose while traffic whizzes by.

But I'll bet they never have a customer come back complaining about
the wheel falling off :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

My uncle had a front wheel come off the van he was driving at 60mph
through snapped studs. .He managed to survive. It happened again two
years later, and he survived. From what I gather, on the second
occasion, he had about two minutes from knowng there was a problem to
the wheel leaving the van and he had his speed down to below 45mph
with the kids over in the back. I don't believe he used that garage
again.

I had a front wheel come off a Renault R5 - the holes in the wheel (like
the rest of the car, made of cheese) enlarged enough for it to come off
over the still attached lug nuts. Maybe the reason the second
generation R5 had 4-bolt instead of 3-bolt wheels?

The car was great fun in tight corners, however, e.g.
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/56/113195719_a7e6b0d3b2_z.jpg. More
lean than you can get on a Harley-Davidson cruiser.

--
Tom $herman
Old February 6th 13, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 02-05-2013 06:26, Andre Jute wrote:
But this guy got screwed before he was properly launched as a cyclist.

He was _launched_ but certainly not properly.

--
Wes Groleau

β€œIn the field of language teaching, Method A is the logical
contradiction of Method B: if the assumptions from which
A claims to be derived are correct, then B cannot work,
and vice versa. Yet one colleague is getting excellent
results with A and another is getting comparable results
with B. How is this possible?”
β€” Earl W. Stevick
Old February 6th 13, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 03:57:14 -0800 (PST), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013 11:49:02 AM UTC, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 23:41:59 -0500, Wes Groleau

wrote:

On 02-04-2013 14:29, Andre Jute wrote:

Today I'm in a shop buying a jacket, and the chap helping me turns out to be a roadie, pretty near the beginning of his career as a cyclist I would say.

He's got a horror story. He took in his bike for servicing and on picking it up was told that they had to "fix the rear wheel". He goes out riding, the rear wheel collapses, he slams on the brakes, goes over the bars, and ends up with surgery on his elbow and collar bone. The rim is bent into an S shape around the join in the rim. There are no obvious collapsed or ripped out spokes. According to him it isn't a wheel with "few spokes" but one with "many spokes", so a too-low spoke count probably isn't the cause.

So what do you think happened here?

I don't have the expertise to be specific, but it sure seems likely that

the "mechanics" screwed up.

Unfortunately, there is the slim chance that it just failed and wasn't

their fault. And the "benefit of the doubt" may be sufficient to get

them off the hook.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too mechanical here but if a shop told me "we

had to fix your wheel", my response would likely be "What did you do

to it?"

Agreed. But this fellow is on that vector of his learning curve as a cyclist where he knows nothing and therefore has to take what his bike shop says on faith. He's learning expensive lessons.

Andre Jute

You mean that the shop "fixed" his wheel, told him that they fixed it,
and likely billed him for fixing it; and he didn't enquire further?

Introduce me, I've got a lovely old bridge in New York City for sale
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old February 6th 13, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
davethedave[_2_]

On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:31:00 +0700, John B. wrote:

Introduce me, I've got a lovely old bridge in New York City for sale :-)

perk

Is it the London bridge?

We sold you that one already? Right. Ok. As you were.
--
davethedave
Old February 6th 13, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

People err.
Honest adults rectify their errors.

Rider hasn't discussed this with the shop yet AFAIK.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

It's happened again Doug[_8_] UK 11 June 21st 11 07:14 PM
what ever happened to ... Charles[_2_] Racing 0 May 5th 09 04:54 AM
What really happened in 85... Keith Racing 5 March 6th 09 12:22 AM
Wow what happened? MuniAddict Unicycling 7 August 6th 07 12:11 PM
Whatever happened to... Carla A-G Mountain Biking 5 July 22nd 05 10:23 AM